Live to Quad - Can anyone author an iso to test my mix?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elguapo511

I recorded a concert with a four track digital recorder.

Then I mixed the single tracks through four channel mixer and into four track tascam 1/4 reel tape recorder.

Then i ran those mixed tracks back into the four track digital recorder.

Here are the four mixed track descriptions.
Mono Soundboard with keys, vocal, and kick drum - mixed into the front left and right
Mono Condenser in the back of the room - picked up the full band, mixed mono into the rear right and left.
Mono in front of lead guitar stage right - panned front left and a little back
Mono in front of the rhythm guitar stage left - panned front right and a little back.

So, Im sitting on a live concert quad mix, that seems like it worked out, but have never been able to get discs to dvda - I have a mac and it just doesnt work.

Anyone out there able to create an .iso and see how this worked

Here is the dropbox link THANKS - the future is now.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nbhm6kdlm7hqx9y/AABzzI5rN4Ayc__j9xltHXuVa?dl=0

Not sure if there is a diffeeence between a dvd and DVDa as far as authoring. But this is audio

I recorded a concert with a four track digital recorder.

Then I mixed the single tracks through four channel mixer and into four track tascam 1/4 reel tape recorder.

Then i ran those mixed tracks back into the four track digital recorder.

Here are the four mixed track descriptions.
Mono Soundboard with keys, vocal, and kick drum - mixed into the front left and right
Mono Condenser in the back of the room - picked up the full band, mixed mono into the rear right and left.
Mono in front of lead guitar stage right - panned front left and a little back
Mono in front of the rhythm guitar stage left - panned front right and a little back.

So, Im sitting on a live concert quad mix, that seems like it worked out, but have never been able to get discs to dvda - I have a mac and it just doesnt work.

Anyone out there able to create an .iso and see how this worked

Here is the dropbox link THANKS - the future is now.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nbhm6kdlm7hqx9y/AABzzI5rN4Ayc__j9xltHXuVa?dl=0
Hi elguapo511,

I can tell you that Diskwelder Chrome will author DVDA. This can be found free as "abandon-ware". (FYI only a Windows version. Runs with Wine in OSX or Linux.)

I don't know what the motivation behind all the analog generation loss steps you noted is. That seems like it would take it further and further away... But you didn't ask for any assholes to make comments on your mix so... :)

The DVDA you author with Diskwelder Chrome would in fact be a clone of your master. The audio would be 1:1 identical.
It's the DVDV formats that force you to go lossy with dts or Dolby and thus alter the sound.

Again, I don't know what your interests are here...
I'll just throw out there that I have some decent experience with challenging recordings where you don't just have discrete clean multitrack from every mic and input on stage like that.
If you're interested, send me the raw 4 track digital recording. Straight from your digital 4 track with no format reductions and absolutely without the analog generation.
If you're offended by any of that comment... SORRY! Just throwing it out there.

Hi elguapo511,

I can tell you that Diskwelder Chrome will author DVDA. This can be found free as "abandon-ware". (FYI only a Windows version. Runs with Wine in OSX or Linux.)

I don't know what the motivation behind all the analog generation loss steps you noted is. That seems like it would take it further and further away... But you didn't ask for any assholes to make comments on your mix so... :)

The DVDA you author with Diskwelder Chrome would in fact be a clone of your master. The audio would be 1:1 identical.
It's the DVDV formats that force you to go lossy with dts or Dolby and thus alter the sound.

Again, I don't know what your interests are here...
I'll just throw out there that I have some decent experience with challenging recordings where you don't just have discrete clean multitrack from every mic and input on stage like that.
If you're interested, send me the raw 4 track digital recording. Straight from your digital 4 track with no format reductions and absolutely without the analog generation.
If you're offended by any of that comment... SORRY! Just throwing it out there.
Thanks I’ll send those over. I send it to tape because I want to hear the mix live as I mix and the only four channel output I have is the same machine I recorded on. But I do have a four channel mixer and reel to reel so I just send it back in.

Also I only have a Mac and when you load all these files and start saving and mixing down, it never seems to come out the same.

I have two stereo equalizers so I can also eq and compress to my liking, and monitor the tapeplay head. doing it on the computer requires that I know a little more than I do at the moment.

Thanks I’ll send those over. I send it to tape because I want to hear the mix live as I mix and the only four channel output I have is the same machine I recorded on. But I do have a four channel mixer and reel to reel so I just send it back in.

Also I only have a Mac and when you load all these files and start saving and mixing down, it never seems to come out the same.

I have two stereo equalizers so I can also eq and compress to my liking, and monitor the tapeplay head. doing it on the computer requires that I know a little more than I do at the moment.
Cool I'll watch for a link. :)

"Only" a Mac? Hmmm... Exclusively a Mac user here (until I migrate to Linux anyway)... because it means no software restrictions... What DAW were you trying to use?

Anyway, no matter. I use Reaper as my main DAW. iZotope RX for restoration tricks. UA, Waves, namedrop, namedrop bla bla...
None of that really matters. Just tools. I like my tools and I can sometimes do decent mix work I think. :D

Alrighty @jimfisheye here is the link to the four clean files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9sextp7d4p8kxro/AAB5ty8x10rXlGOLWa3w1l1xa?dl=0
Track one is the mono soundboard. It has keys vocal (bass player and drummer, kick drum, and then a little of the stage noise.
Track two is the mono audience mic placed about ten feet back about ten feet high. got the full band.
Track three is the lead guitar who was stage left
and Track four is the rythmo guitar who was stage right.

QUAD ME WITH IT!!!

wish I had more tracks but the limitations will set you free.
There does not appear to be any small club quad recording available for digital distribution. Make me an .iso and make history...

here is a DVD-A iso of your creation.

h**ps://drive.google.com/open?id=153-xaKDw8unr8cOutjMa5SywkO1IUE3D

just change the ** to tt in your browser. Note: I have not listened to this but when I threw it into soundforge the gain looked really, really low. K

OK, I have a 1st draft.

here:
https://mega.nz/#F!OhhFXC7Q!C_7ev9TLsq1Q5t2WnOAvKw
The one labeled 5.1 is the very same 4.0 mix in a 5.1 container. In case you use a media player that requires it (as many do).

Give me an OK. Or a few quick revisions.
I kind of only want to make the iso once at the end.

I made a reasonable mix I think. For some of the limitations, it cleaned up pretty well actually. Certainly release quality I think.
Let me know.

OK, I have a 1st draft.

here:
https://mega.nz/#F!OhhFXC7Q!C_7ev9TLsq1Q5t2WnOAvKw
The one labeled 5.1 is the very same 4.0 mix in a 5.1 container. In case you use a media player that requires it (as many do).

Give me an OK. Or a few quick revisions.
I kind of only want to make the iso once at the end.

I made a reasonable mix I think. For some of the limitations, it cleaned up pretty well actually. Certainly release quality I think.
Let me know.
Great THANKS. Ill check it now....

I am clearly missing something, but how am i supposed to listen to this if it is a .flac?
My confuser only has a stereo output, thats why i thought a dvdA/.sio was my only option for a diy quad.

Anyway, Ill try to listen... but seems like my mac is holing me back.

I opened it in VLC player and it seems to just play two channel.
So,,, yes it sounds lound and clear, way more crispy than my crunchy tape transfer.

one guitar track is a pinch higher volume than the other so its pulling my attention a bit in that direction.
i would pull it back instead of upping the other, because the drums from the mono tracks are at a nice balance.
the keys sound great. they were pratically gone when i was there.

this sounds better than being at the show.

i really appreciate the effort.

iso at will.... or unless you can hip me to what a four channel flac is.

I have a couple tips for you elguapo511.

There are some very affordable options for recording nowadays. You could get a modest audio interface for around $250 or maybe even less with a lucky Ebay snipe.
You are limited to 4 tracks at 16 bit right now. You are also stuck with output connections and resorting to recording onto analog tape (!!!) and such for some back and forth like you described earlier. The level of generation from all that is high.

$250 or less would get you a USB audio interface with 8 inputs and 8 outputs.
You could simply make a 8 track recording.
You'd have 8 outputs on the unit as well so you could use it for a playback device for surround.

Tascam US-16x8
8 mic pre inputs
4 line inputs balanced/unbalanced
8 balanced/unbalanced outputs
Sells on Ebay between $150 - $250

Presonus Studio 1810
4 mic pre inputs
4 line inputs (balanced/unbalanced)
6 line outputs (balanced/unbalanced)
8 channel in/out ADAT port (connect another 8 mic pre + AD unit to add 8 mic channels)
Sells on Ebay between $250 - $300

The Tascam is a little older and a little more bang for the buck.

The sound quality of everything in either of these will run circles around what you have now and just floor you.
You'll be able to finally record at 24 bit as well as at higher sample rates if you wish.
You said you have a Mac, so you'll be ready to go and it will just work.

If you have zero money to spend... understood!
But if you are going to be making live recordings like this, one of these units would be just a stunning huge upgrade. And then you would have a full multitrack to mix from for a fully discrete surround mix. :)

I opened it in VLC player and it seems to just play two channel.
So,,, yes it sounds lound and clear, way more crispy than my crunchy tape transfer.

one guitar track is a pinch higher volume than the other so its pulling my attention a bit in that direction.
i would pull it back instead of upping the other, because the drums from the mono tracks are at a nice balance.
the keys sound great. they were pratically gone when i was there.

this sounds better than being at the show.

i really appreciate the effort.

iso at will.... or unless you can hip me to what a four channel flac is.

Oh, OK. You don't have any way at all to get audio out of your computer!
That explains a few things.

One of those USB interfaces I mentioned will do that for you too as I said. Take a look at that.

For right here right now...
I'll put the producer hat back on and give this a listen and cross any t's and dot any i's that come up. And then I'll run it and make that iso for you to burn.

PS. VLC player will work with the flac file in the 5.1 format (it has silent C and Lfe channels). But if you literally don't have an audio interface to use, there's no way to get it out of the computer.

PPS. The guitars are both in the rear channels (one each side). If you are only hearing the front channels, any guitar you hear is bleed from the other sources.

The panning is:
Drums and vox front and center.
Keys somewhat to the left front (as much as possible).
Bass somewhat to the right front (again, as much as possible).
Stage R gtr in Ls
Stage L gtr in Rs
Audience mic is big mono and helps glue everything together.

PPPS. I git rid of the clipping in the board feed channel that was making all the crunching sounds with iZotope RX :)

What model Mac do you have BTW?

Last edited:
OK @elguapo511, I have the iso in the Mega folder now. Same link.
Can I assume you know how to burn discs from iso with the Finder?

I did a couple quick revisions. There will still be wildness here and there. I maybe spent only 2 hours total. This is still more like a first draft mix. The big pieces are in place.
I figured the levels roller-coasting around at the head and the not insignificant clipping on that board feed were priority. And then getting an instrument balance for the band. I had a limiter on the master bus to catch strays. It might be just a hair bright (which could get refined with further attention). Going for liveliness and clarity. Probably at least a couple spots with some awkward level for a moment. Feels like there was some wildness going on with the live mix. Kick might still be a little boomy.

Honestly, I was expecting the absolute worst from reading your description with the generational back and forth and then the limited separation with tracking. I think you ended up actually capturing a pretty darn good recording! There's nearly full sound. There's separation. And there's genuine discrete surround activity. There are some moments where the balances are pretty on point and you have interesting 4 corner activity. If you wanted to actually invest in this recording and produce it for release, it would dial up the rest of the way with really reasonable work. Fix like, 3 or 4 little clams if you're into cheating. Or you could put this out as is as a fan club style thing and not be in too bad of shape.

I guess I'll call this my 'calling card' then. :)

Still curious about that poor Mac you're downplaying. Are we talking about something like an old G3 from 1997 or something? :D

Well this is the first time I have A/Bd a digital and tape transfer.
hella thanks to @holand123 for polishing the turd i sent you, a creation indeed.

While the tape transfer was fun to make, it sounds like garbage compared to the jimifisheye mix from the original tracks.
It does have some charm and heaviness, but i doubt i could get anyone to listen to the whole thing.
The digital surround mix is clear, separation is smooth, and real nice bass in the rear.
this forum rewlz.

So when you contacted me you didn't mention you already had someone doing this. Sigh. I finished it the next day and sent you a message.
But whatever you sent me is pretty crappy, sonics wise. So I'll take it down and be on my way then.,

hey, just saw your post.... dont take it down yet. I sincerely appreciate the mix. This forum is bad ass. I did not expect such a response and I have learned a great deal from all of the mixes.

Im trying to get them all going and hear the sample rate differences. I hope this didnt put you out.
Pretty crappy indeed... only way now is up.

This has put for the proposition that you can petition the lord w prayer....

Back