Sennhheiser Ambeo 5.1.4 Soundbar Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that. It sounds like it should be compatible with 2019 televisions produced by Sony and LG(and perhaps others except for Samsung). This means that with an outlay of 2500 USD for the sound bar, another, say, 1000 USD for the TV, and whatever the cost is for an HDMI 2.1 connector you could build yourself a nice surround system that’s also compatible with the person or persons that you share your home with. In the audio/video world that’s definitely reasonable. And yeah, I know it won’t sound anywhere near as good as your(HomerJAU’s) system sporting high end B&W speakers.

I'm extremely sensitive to lip sync error and the linked review's comments:
"Frustrating latency for TV audio"
"TV sound arrived just behind video for multiple TV models"
"I found myself staring at lips for almost everything I watched."
suggest that this overpriced box isn't entirely fit for purpose!
If I were in the market for a sound bar and I wanted to spend $2500 I'd give this thing a good prodding with a very long barge pole.

I also have a Yarra 3DX coming, I assume, some time in late july or early august. People across the pond will get theirs sooner but here in the States they have to arrive in Los Angeles first via the proverbial slow boat from China.

The Sennheiser Ambeo is illustrative of what happens when you release a product that is not backwards compatible with the previous technology. In truth, they should put some serious effort in getting their product to work with HDMI 2.0 given the humungous installed base of people with HDMI 2.0 televisions. I don't know, however, if that is or isn't technically possible. In the meantime, we'll see what the Yarra 3DX brings to the party. Kal Rubinson has listened to a demo of the Yarra 3DX and, though his impressions were positive, I somehow don't see it coming close to replacing either of his surround systems.

Back