Poll: Atmos Music: Are You Going to Listen at Home?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atmos Music: Are You Going to Listen?

• Total voters
Anyone considering using upfiring speakers for Atmos? I’d recommend two things in order to get it right. If you’re not using an Atmos speaker by the same brand of your main speakers, try to get them up high enough where there is zero line of sight to the drivers while in the seated position. Also, during configuration of your Atmos modules (speakers), there’s a control function located within the menu where you tell your AVR how close you have them in relation to the ceiling. I have a Denon and it’s under Setup-> Audio-> Surround Parameter.

I hope this helps someone not willing to install speakers in / on your ceiling. :)

My 5.1 room doesn't have the area (weird shaped room that I was lucky enough to manage for surround, a square within a trapezoid) or ceiling (kind of a popcorn Cathedral Ceiling affair). I'll just have to listen in 5.1. 🎶🎶

I see only 4 no votes, and 85% percent either own, or will buy Atmos, with the remaining votes willing to buy titles. When I buy a new amplifier, regardless of price, I expect Atmos to be there. So, no one is against Atmos in theory, but not everyone can afford to change their equipment right this second. Also, if Atmos won't work with existing equipment, at least in some way to get a decent surround mix, then 5.1 folks won't buy titles.

But let's be hopeful and see where this goes. It could be interesting. I'll bet Atmos sounds cool.

Again, I'm very happy with the easy transition that moved my wide bookshelf speakers to 47-inch stands on top of my big subwoofers in the Front L/R corners. About 3 feet from the ceiling, and just the right distance from the listening places (sitting back in my lounge chairs, my preferred listening position). They point in the same direction as the Fronts and subs. No wides anymore, but that doesn't seem to matter. A cheap solution!

Fortunately my Jambos were already installed in my rear ceiling for heights, but I did not want to bother with the front heights installed in the walls. Speaker stands are a great cheap and easy solution to avoid that invasive installation. YMMV, of course.

That isn't to say that it's only ambient stuff up there. That isn't true. I have plenty of Atmos and Auro sources that have important information discretely or predominantly in the heights (music and movies).
And that is where ricocheting off the ceiling with up firing speakers vs actual ceiling mounted speakers will show its weakness (to put it mildly).
Demo that for yourself with any speaker. Listen to the speaker direct. Now angle it to bounce it off the ceiling.

Sometimes even slightly questionable workarounds can still be clever and have their merit. This feels like a stretch no matter who you are.

Jim, I am not disagreeing with your perception, as I tend to think that also, but not just for some bits and pieces of a song or movie scene. It's not like the whole thing plays through these speakers. From what I have heard in my limited exposure is that it is small fragments of a movie scene or pieces of a song. I think too much coming through them will ruin things as my small but same brand as others speakers can't do what my other speakers can. I also agree that this can be just as gimmicky and cheesy as some regular surround mixes out there. However, what's the worst that can happen? You buy some speakers to be auditioned for Atmos and if you don't like them (after listening to a diverse collection of things to truly judge the merit) just put them on the wall for the surround speakers in 7.x speaker system (y)
If you can afford them, I say try it. I really don't think you will be as disappointed as you appear to be predisposed to be. Obviously up to you, but trying to be the glass half full guy for a change.

And that is where ricocheting off the ceiling with up firing speakers vs actual ceiling mounted speakers will show its weakness (to put it mildly).
Demo that for yourself with any speaker. Listen to the speaker direct. Now angle it to bounce it off the ceiling.

Sometimes even slightly questionable workarounds can still be clever and have their merit. This feels like a stretch no matter who you are.

The discrete info that is programmed to be in those height speakers are specifically programed by the mixer AND the atmos mixing software to be higher frequency and thus more directional. The software clips all the mixers choices at 130-150hz no matter what the mixer chooses. In other words, the atmos mixing software is "smart", it won't allow muddy sound to be mixed into a height channels.

I bet if you placed a microphone in front of a upfiring speaker the recording graph would prove that. Also, like Blarc said, it's only very specific bits and pieces that are programmed to go up there, probably not more than 20% of the entire soundtrack is intended to be outputted from those heights.

It's not like the mixers and the software are like "great, we have four more surround speakers to play with so lets just throw the whole kitchen sink up there".

The mixers are taught to only use those speakers for directional sound and if they don't the software slaps them on the hand and says, "no you can't do that so let me adjust your mistake".

The difference between 150hz and a regular full range speaker that can go down to 30hz is a gigantic difference.

The difference between 150hz and a regular full range speaker that can go down to 30hz is a gigantic difference.
Only when you try to reproduce frequencies below 150Hz. :D

But that's not what I was comparing. Nor was I suggesting trying to mix bass content into the ceiling!
I was comparing ricocheting high frequency content off the ceiling from afar vs. directly reproducing it from speakers in the ceiling. A pretty big difference as I explained!
I'll assume the root here is misunderstanding rather than intentional straw-manning. :)

If you're just watching movies and don't care so much for music...
Sure, get a shitbar. You'll get a little something something extra with some faux surround ricocheted off your ceiling. It's not nothing.

Music though? Music mixes are dense compared to movie soundtracks. The gimmicky stuff devolves into mush. Audio needs to be audiophile first. Expanding that to surround is wonderful! Sacrificing the fidelity for spacial tricks? I prefer mono!

One aspect of future Atmos music that I would be interested in (besides traditional album releases) is original movie scores. What I'm talking about is, with the release of the Blu-ray movies they could include the music scores in their entirety in surround, rather than just hearing the bits and pieces within the movie. Often times the movie scores are either muted or being edited over by dialog or sound effects. Most movies do have their soundtracks (scores) released in stereo on CDs, or even vinyl LPs. Why not give quality music scores the respect they deserve and include a separate disc with an Atmos surround treatment; along with the movie package.

I've bought some movie soundtracks I enjoy on CDs and LPs over the years; but in stereo only. I believe there may be some movie scores within DVDs or Blu-rays that are separate from the overall soundtracks already. One of my favorite composers is Alexandre Desplat, who's composed music scores for movies i.e.: "The Painted Veil", "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button", "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows" and many others. Movie scores by talented composers like Desplat, combined with equally competent surround mixes can result in a win for us movie/surround music lovers and perhaps an extended market for the film production companies.

One aspect of future Atmos music that I would be interested in (besides traditional album releases) is original movie scores. What I'm talking about is, with the release of the Blu-ray movies they could include the music scores in their entirety in surround, rather than just hearing the bits and pieces within the movie. Often times the movie scores are either muted or being edited over by dialog or sound effects. Most movies do have their soundtracks (scores) released in stereo on CDs, or even vinyl LPs. Why not give quality music scores the respect they deserve and include a separate disc with an Atmos surround treatment; along with the movie package.

I've bought some movie soundtracks I enjoy on CDs and LPs over the years; but in stereo only. I believe there may be some movie scores within DVDs or Blu-rays that are separate from the overall soundtracks already. One of my favorite composers is Alexandre Desplat, who's composed music scores for movies i.e.: "The Painted Veil", "The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button", "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows" and many others. Movie scores by talented composers like Desplat, combined with equally competent surround mixes can result in a win for us movie/surround music lovers and perhaps an extended market for the film production companies.

View attachment 41467

View attachment 41468

JP, there are quite a few gorgeously recorded film music scores in DOLBY SURROUND released by SILVA RECORDS [not original artists but City of Prague Orchestra, etc.] An Example:

41oYjtXUplL.jpg

51wogdYKQ8L.jpg

What I'm talking about is, with the release of the Blu-ray movies they could include the music scores in their entirety in surround, rather than just hearing the bits and pieces within the movie. Often times the movie scores are either muted or being edited over by dialog or sound effects. Most movies do have their soundtracks (scores) released in stereo on CDs, or even vinyl LPs. Why not give quality music scores the respect they deserve and include a separate disc with an Atmos surround treatment; along with the movie package.
On Blu I don't think they would even need a second disc. Usually plenty of room to add it as bonus material.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. (y)

On Blu I don't think they would even need a second disc. Usually plenty of room to add it as bonus material.

Sounds like a fine idea to me. (y)

The 2010 Blu Ray Disc of Inception did have the score included in the extras in DTS HD MA 5.1 https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Inception-Blu-ray/14492/#Review [scroll down to extras]

Some of the Twilight Time discs also included isolated soundtracks ...... April Love, for instance [presented in DTS HD MA 2.0] https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/April-Love-Blu-ray/120307/#Review [scroll down to extras]

With 4K discs it would probably be no problem to include an ATMOS soundtrack. Whether the studios and filmmakers will go the extra mile is anyone's guess....but it also might infringe on the possibility of a separate release on RBCD or via downloads.

The 2010 Blu Ray Disc of Inception did have the score included in the extras in DTS HD MA 5.1 https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Inception-Blu-ray/14492/#Review [scroll down to extras]

Some of the Twilight Time discs also included isolated soundtracks ...... April Love, for instance [presented in DTS HD MA 2.0] https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/April-Love-Blu-ray/120307/#Review [scroll down to extras]

With 4K discs it would probably be no problem to include an ATMOS soundtrack. Whether the studios and filmmakers will go the extra mile is anyone's guess....but it also might infringe on the possibility of a separate release on RBCD or via downloads.

I knew there were some out there (Just not Atmos yet)- see they can do it!!! And if they are going to make a go of Atmos music; they'd better get their act together.

In 2003, I put together my first 5.1 system to be ready for the soon to be released Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon SACD.... I wasn't disappointed and have been collecting 5.1 music since.
Last month, I upgraded my AVR to a Marantz SR8012 and added four height speakers for a 7.2.4 system .... all because of tomorrows The Beatles - Abbey Road release. I'm sure I won't be disappointed again!

In 2003, I put together my first 5.1 system to be ready for the soon to be released Pink Floyd- The Dark Side of the Moon SACD.... I wasn't disappointed and have been collecting 5.1 music since.
Last month, I upgraded my AVR to a Marantz SR8012 and added four height speakers for a 7.2.4 system .... all because of tomorrows The Beatles - Abbey Road release. I'm sure I won't be disappointed again!
I am thinking that with Atmos mixes it is difficult to make absolute reviews. We will see people saying that you need a 11.4.8 setup to really appreciate Abbey Road.

Last edited:
Back