Recording CD-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

I have an Audio Technica LP-120, a recently installed, (and working), 4MD-20X Cart and Shibata Stylus, a QRX-9001, a Tascam 34-B and some CD-4 Albums.
I have some limited experience using Audacity.
I want to record the CD-4 albums to Audacity, ( to enable some pop and click control), and then record the cleaned up recording to tape on the Tascam.
Technically I am deficient here as I don't know how to record 4 channels through my 2 channel computer sound card to Audacity, and how to get Audacity to record four channels.
I am looking for advise/ suggestions as to best perform this feat. I could go direct to the Tascam from the QRX-9001 but would have no control of any pops and clicks that I cannot wash off of the recording.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Hi There! You will need a multichannel sound card or interface. If you have the computer wired to the 9001, you can play the files directly without the cost of tape and the analogue degradation of returning the file to tape. You can also make digital discs to play the music as well. I understand the appeal of playing analogue sources but it will be better quality if you play the digital source instead. Mixtapes can be cool though.

There are lots of Threads about recording Quad. Our members have used this box. There are other type boxes and always shop around. Once you get your files recorded, there are many playback options.

Last edited:
Hi There! You will need a multichannel sound card or interface. If you have the computer wired to the 9001, you can play the files directly without the cost of tape and the analogue degradation of returning the file to tape. You can also make digital discs to play the music as well. I understand the appeal of playing analogue sources but it will be better quality if you play the digital source instead. Mixtapes can be cool though.

Ok. It looks like multi-channel sound cards are another learning curve. Do you know if the Audacity software would automatically recognize that? I don't really want to use USB especially USB 2.0. Still looking to connect via RCA or other line connection. I do have a wireless output to the 9001.

What is your aversion to USB? It works well in my experience and can be disconnected when not needed. I have not used Audacity but if it can do multichannel recording then there should be no problem. I have used Cool Edit, then Adobe Audition in the past to my success. You still would need RCA cables from your 9001 to the interface, it just has a USB cable after the digital conversion for your computer to use. Using USB also means not tying up a slot permanently on your mobo. I also find USB is not as big a strain on your processor as a card will be. A sound card will use processing power where the USB interface does the processing and you are simply transferring the digital info like copying files from an outboard hard disk, except it is in real time. As to a wireless output to the 9001, is it 4.0? If it is Bluetooth, you are losing some of the audio quality from what I have heard. If the wires are a problem, USB allows you to hide them away when not in use.

The Behringer 404 is the one to get - 4 in/4 out.

Sorry, I posted wrong box earlier. I deleted link. Yes, the four in, four out is the way to go. Just plug and play. Also, the Motu 828 soundcard is good too. For a brief time, so many years ago MC soundcards got hard to get, without paying over retail price. Not now though. Also, many simple USB 2.0 boxes. For as many channels as one wants.

fwiw i've used the following combination of gear to record in CD-4, SQ and QS records to the computer;

Turntable : Technics SL-1210Mk2,
Cartridge : Audio Technica AT440MLb,
Phono Pre-Amp: Pro-Ject PhonoBox S,
SQ & QS Decoder : Involve Surround Master,
CD-4 Demoulator : Grundig Quadro,
Audio Interface : Motu UltraLite Hybrid FW,
Computer : MacMini (Late 2014 model),
Multichannel Recording Software : Audacity (@96kHz/32-bit float)

79BB3DD3-18B8-4CF1-AC56-6EE094ED7623.jpeg

AE8E8824-ADF3-4B59-A6B7-B26878D98C34.jpeg

98FA812D-461E-40BF-B2A7-15507DB63267.jpeg

F2172D48-749B-4731-85F7-33ED3C3BCD75.jpeg

9D95E6FE-AB54-4812-8CE3-90E0F0618FB2.jpeg

fwiw i've used the following combination of gear to record in CD-4, SQ and QS records to the computer;

Turntable : Technics SL-1210Mk2,
Cartridge : Audio Technica AT440MLb,
Phono Pre-Amp: Pro-Ject PhonoBox S,
SQ & QS Decoder : Involve Surround Master,
CD-4 Demoulator : Grundig Quadro,
Audio Interface : Motu UltraLite Hybrid FW,
Computer : MacMini (Late 2014 model),
Multichannel Recording Software : Audacity (@96kHz/32-bit float)

So are you satisfied with the AT440MLb cart. for CD-4 Adam?

So are you satisfied with the AT440MLb cart. for CD-4 Adam?

by and large yes, its been the most consistent of the carts i've tried so far (AT15S, Denon DL110, JVC 4MD-10X) though there's always that niggling feeling of upgradeitis so i've got half an eye out for new gear all the time.. it ain't over til it's over! 😁

Ok. It looks like multi-channel sound cards are another learning curve. Do you know if the Audacity software would automatically recognize that? I don't really want to use USB especially USB 2.0. Still looking to connect via RCA or other line connection. I do have a wireless output to the 9001.
I use a Behringer 404 with Audacity. You just need to tell Audacity to record four channels in the drop-down box and make sure the 404 is selected as input device. The rest happens automatically.

I use a Behringer 404 with Audacity. You just need to tell Audacity to record four channels in the drop-down box and make sure the 404 is selected as input device. The rest happens automatically.

Thank you for your response. I am recording from a CD-4 Cart on an Audio Technica. The 404 I saw on Sweetwater uses Microphone inputs?

Thank you for your response. I am recording from a CD-4 Cart on an Audio Technica. The 404 I saw on Sweetwater uses Microphone inputs?

Yes, those are Microphone inputs, but in the center are also 1/4 inch Jack's. So, just use 1/4 inch adapter to, RCA or whatever type you need. I don't own one, but if memory serves, that's how it works. Quick start guides for the 404 can also be found online.

Yes, the Behringer has "two-in-one" input sockets which accept both a microphone and a 1/4" mono jack. Connect the four outputs from the CD-4 demodulator to the four Behringer inputs via four 1/4" mono jacks.

Yes, the Behringer has "two-in-one" input sockets which accept both a microphone and a 1/4" mono jack. Connect the four outputs from the CD-4 demodulator to the four Behringer inputs via four 1/4" mono jacks.
Are you using a USB port into the computer or do you have a separate 4 channel sound card in the computer? I will need to output the 4 channel Audacity output to the 34B inputs as well.

Thanks for your assistance.

I record on a PC via a USB port. For output I use the PC's HDMI port connected to a 5.1 amp. The Behringer has output ports as well but I have never used them. The only sound card I have is the one on the PC mother board but I don't use that either. Nowadays they can probably all do 5.1 or 7.1 although the quality won't be anything special.

It's no big deal, it just works :) Modern surround-sound amps/home cinema systems generally have HDMI inputs. (Some only have HDMI). Choose one of them and connect it to the HDMI output of the PC. Make sure the PC audio output is routed to the HDMI port and the corresponding input selected on the amp. The audio will be played via the surround sound system. I use Ubuntu and it works fine with Audacity and the VLC player.

If the PC has no HDMI output then you need to install one. Just to confuse things HDMI ports are generally on graphics cards although in this case you want to use it for audio.

Back