DVD/DTS Poll Genesis - Seconds Out [DTS 96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Genesis- SECONDS OUT

• Total voters
-1 for being lossy.
-3 for burying Steve Hackett's guitar (Tony Banks, you are gathering up some really bad karma!), and for editing out Phil's introductions-especially in "Supper's Ready".
Nice replica of the LP cover.
Really good mix except for the previously mentioned subjects..

Rule of thumb: Don’t want your guitar undermixed? Don’t quit the band during the mixdown sessions! :D

I think the album sounds great overall. Love the drum mix. Surround mix is good for a live album. Classic album with great setlist.

Hackett’s guitar could have been louder but it wasn’t on the original stereo anyway, was it?

Just listened again, I stick to the original 6
Sounds muddled and confused.
The original LP wasn't that bad as far as I remember, I liked this album.
Find the DTS version tiring.

This one is probably the worst with burying Steve Hackett's electric guitar parts. All these remixes feature this revisionist history mixing at the direction of Tony Banks. Absolutely great mix work, honestly. But then eyebrow raising hyped volume way style mastering. But then that's a moot point with the revisionist mixing. Want to see how many times you can say "You've got to be kidding?!" out loud? Give this a listen.

Oh, and then there's the bit here with Phil awkwardly singing lead vocals on everything now! And not very well at all! Still some moments of great performance. They've got Bruford in tow on the drums! (And then later, Chester Thompson of Zappa fame.) There's some serious good playing here (if the guitar was in the mix).

All these remixes are maximum frustrating listens with seriously great mixing work but the revisionist mixing out of the electric guitar parts. This one might be the worst of the lot. The original was a stretch to begin with with Gabriel having bailed on them and Phil singing lead.

This one is probably the worst with burying Steve Hackett's electric guitar parts. All these remixes feature this revisionist history mixing at the direction of Tony Banks. Absolutely great mix work, honestly. But then eyebrow raising hyped volume way style mastering. But then that's a moot point with the revisionist mixing. Want to see how many times you can say "You've got to be kidding?!" out loud? Give this a listen.
or "I HATE TONY BANKS!!!!"..
Mind you I really do not HATE anyone... but ooooo, is he in my "horrible person" list!!!!!

or "I HATE TONY BANKS!!!!"..
Mind you I really do not HATE anyone... but ooooo, is he in my "horrible person" list!!!!!
Yeah...
I actually love his playing. I love the detail revealed in his parts in the new mixes. Just too bad that all that exceptional work and effort is moot next to the awkwardness of the undermixed guitar parts. You spend more time wondering why he's trying to jump into a different timeline with Genesis where they never had an electric guitar player or something. Still can't very well hate his playing! I'd say he really embarrassed himself with these releases and everyone else involved though. Really awkward stuff!

Yeah...
I actually love his playing. I love the detail revealed in his parts in the new mixes. Just too bad that all that exceptional work and effort is moot next to the awkwardness of the undermixed guitar parts. You spend more time wondering why he's trying to jump into a different timeline with Genesis where they never had an electric guitar player or something. Still can't very well hate his playing! I'd say he really embarrassed himself with these releases and everyone else involved though. Really awkward stuff!
Oh, I did not mention a thing about his playing!!! "Lo cortés no quita lo valiente" as they say in Olde England!!! ;)

I think Chester's drumming makes these songs dull and boring when compared to Phil's playing or the short stint that Bruford did with them in 1976. I wish they used more of those songs for this with Bruford but at least we have a few killer FM/SBD shows from the Bruford run.

Chester is very robotic.

Last edited:
I think Chester's drumming makes these songs dull and boring when compared to Phil's playing or the short stint that Bruford did with them in 1976. I wish they used more of those songs for this with Bruford but at least we have a few killer FM/SBD shows from the Bruford run.

Chester is very robotic.
Yeah, they should have kept Phil behind the drum kit and let Chester sing! :D
Hey, it would have been better. Pretty wrong, but it would have been better...

Just a reminder that Chester played in Weather Report and plays in jazz settings, he's quite capable. Being hired as tour drummer, he was playing as was expected of him; the drum duets were certainly exciting where he could cut loose. On the other side of the coin, Bill Bruford (whom I love) has admitted he inadvertently undermined Genesis shows because he preferred to serve up his specialty - the unexpected (as per Crimson days). Genesis was expecting the same thing every night so as there would be no confusion hitting their cues. This is similar to Wetton and Jobson insisting Allan Holdsworth to play the same solos every night in U.K. Tension like that won't last long as members must either abide or split.

Just a reminder that Chester played in Weather Report and plays in jazz settings, he's quite capable. Being hired as tour drummer, he was playing as was expected of him; the drum duets were certainly exciting where he could cut loose. On the other side of the coin, Bill Bruford (whom I love) has admitted he inadvertently undermined Genesis shows because he preferred to serve up his specialty - the unexpected (as per Crimson days). Genesis was expecting the same thing every night so as there would be no confusion hitting their cues. This is similar to Wetton and Jobson insisting Allan Holdsworth to play the same solos every night in U.K. Tension like that won't last long as members must either abide or split.
Now that makes me want to find and download a couple 1976 shows. I never really went after live recordings from post PG Genesis. Picked up Seconds Out since it was official and all but never looked for more.

Can you by any chance recommend a show where Bruford is in more of an "undermining" mood? :D

Now that makes me want to find and download a couple 1976 shows. I never really went after live recordings from post PG Genesis. Picked up Seconds Out since it was official and all but never looked for more.

Can you by any chance recommend a show where Bruford is in more of an "undermining" mood? :D

Look for the Pittsburgh & Cleveland shows from the '76 tour. Both were radio broadcasts and there are some very high quality versions of them floating around out there.

It's not revisionist remixing. Hackett was already mixed way down on the LP back in 1977.

Revisionism would have been welcome: restoring Hackett in the mix. But it was not to be.

Oh, and then there's the bit here with Phil awkwardly singing lead vocals on everything now! And not very well at all! Still some moments of great performance. They've got Bruford in tow on the drums! (And then later, Chester Thompson of Zappa fame.) There's some serious good playing here (if the guitar was in the mix).

Collins originated the lead vocals on the Trick and Wind&Wuthering stuff. No awkwardness there. And of course he was always a very Gabriel-like backup singer on the earlier albums

Last edited:

What's amusing is that before they joined forces, Chester hugely admired prog drummers, while Phil admired fusion/jazz drummers! So it worked out well.

Also, in his defense, Seconds Out reflects Chester's first tour with them.

What was always weird about the album to me, apart from the Hackett undermixing, is that there's so little Wind & Wuthering material on it.

I have some of the shows listed above in my iTunes library. In fact I have every live Genesis concert I could get my hands on, many in dodgy Fidelity. When I get time I’ll provide a couple examples.

I really want this. Does anyone think it might be released as a stand alone Blu Ray. It would sell like hot cakes.
I am a real surround enthusiast but this one is not worth it if you are a Genesis/Steve Hackett fan. His guitar is totally buried in the mix (have I said that "Tony Bancks" is an assh*le???).. you'd be better off getting a nice clean LP pressing and playing it thru DPL II or DTS NEO X.. even the Phil Collins introductions were edited out, making it a totally different unsatisfying experience.. like having sex and not having an orgasm in the end- and drunken sex at that...

Boy that doesn't sound like fun at all. Hope it's not a regular occurance for you. I will play my double CDs in DTS and get the full orgasmic enjoyment out of them instead...

Last edited:
Back