DVD/DTS Poll Barclay James Harvest - Everyone Is Everybody Else [DTS DVD+2CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD-V of Barclay James Harvest - Everyone Is Everybody Else

• 10: Great Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2016 reissue of the Barclay James Harvest album "Everyone Is Everybody Else".
This new reissue from Esoteric Records features a 5.1 surround mix of the album on DVD-V (NOT DVD-A/V as erroneously labeled on the packaging...)
:rolleyes:

(n) :) (y)

51LjJrwbjfL.jpg

61s7Vs9q4EL.jpg

I voted 8

I'm enjoying the fidelity of the disc and the tapes sound really good. There's no craziness with noise reduction and the mix isn't allows for the music to breathe and makes for a very pleasant listening experience. I am new to the album as I've only discovered the group in 2014 (with the Once Again Quad DVD-V which I really dig) and I've been enjoying these recent 5.1 releases. I think the album is a solid one and even though a handful of tracks are stronger than the others there's no really bad apple in this bunch. I do hope we get the remaining of the catalog but I am giving this one in eight for an all-around enjoyable experience.

Fave tracks:

Negative Earth
Paper Wings
The Great 1974 Mining Disaster

I have to admit though that I'm a bit disappointed that nobody here is taking a few seconds to give their thoughts on this as I think it's a very worthy release and deserves at least a more few comments.

Thanks to everyone reviving this thread. Received this today and am enjoying it. I have three others coming. Never listened and am glad I did so now

Strange that the mix is so praised here. Most of the playing time, surrounds are inaudible and dominated exclusively by the front field. It won\u0027t save those few discreet audible moments in the back.

Mix: 3/5: Mix is conservative. Definitely some discrete stuff, but not enough put in rears. And one album track is 44/16 stereo only - it's not even on the DVD.

Sound: 4/5: Very good, though the 1974 sound is rather soft focus anyway.

Music: 3/5: Music rather drippy and leaden but basically nice songs - and very nice guitar solos.

Weighted score: 3*3+4*2+3*1 = 9+8+3 = 20/30 = 6.66/10 = 7/10

It's a shame the final track is completely missed off the DVD. They should have put a (96/24) stereo version on there for continuity's sake. If you have a rip of the DVD, it's well worth adding For No One from CD 1 - the guitar gets fairly close to Gilmour levels IMHO - and the outtake (Maestoso) is not essential but is nice to have.

Back