Comments Inspired by Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink (Steven Wilson 5.1 Mix) [DD DVD+2CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally opened this one... what the hell was I waiting for!? The content is wonderful... I'm completely unfamiliar with the band or the "Canterbury Scene", but this reminds me of what an English version of The Doors might sound like (and it's GREAT!). The fidelity is excellent, the surround mix is discrete and immersive. I would love to get more surround from Caravan if it sounds like this... a winner from start to finish. 9.

If you like this one, get their first album, CARAVAN. Not in surround but the SHM-CD is excellent. Then spread out to the second album -- there's a DECCA remastered -- called IF I COULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER YOU. Hate to say, but I'm not a big fan of the albums after GREY AND PINK.

I agree... Sounds excellent! I wouldn't have even noticed it was DD to be honest. It's a really great mix. I'm hooked from the very first notes on Golf Girl. The lyrics really crack me up too! :ROFLMAO:

If you are objective and not a DD hater......there are a lot of titles in DD that are excellent(y)

So have I.

So, let's say it sounds 'much better' to you. Three questions arise:

1) are you sure the mastering the same for both?
2) are you sure the output level the same for both?
3) did you compare them blind?

if the answer to 1) or 2) is no, either of those factors can cause real audible difference that has nothing to do with Dolby vs PCM.

if the answer to 1) and 2) are yes, but 3) is no, then you haven't ruled out simple cognitive expectation effects -- iow, imagination.

Last edited:
It's a 9. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite Wilson-remixed titles. I really dig the album - musically, I'd describe the band as a quirkier and more upbeat version of the Moody Blues. The vocals definitely remind me of Justin Hayward at times.

The surround mix has a 'Columbia Q8' vibe for sure - very dry and discrete, with different instruments pegged into the back corners (usually different acoustic guitar parts, though you also get backing vocals, keys/organ, etc). Every track is mixed well, but it's all just a warm-up for the epic 22-minute "Nine Feet Underground" suite, which is nothing short of a surround masterpiece - organ solos effortlessly dance around the room while the rhythm section stays anchored towards the front.

My only issue with the surround mix is that, like other SW mixes, the center channel volume can be a bit inconsistent. Sometimes the vocals seem a bit buried, but raising the volume can result in other center-panned instruments becoming overbearing (organ solos and the explosion sound effect in "Nine Feet Underground, for instance).

"Golf Girl" (gotta love the trombone in the center channel):
View attachment 41941

"Nine Feet Underground":
View attachment 41942

Are those from the Dolby or the lossless?

I really wonder who chooses the codecs these albums are released in. I mean you go to the trouble of locating the multitracks.....hire Steve Wilson to remix an iconic album .... design the gatefold packaging which includes a RBCD when just as easily the album could've [and frankly should've] been released on a single hybrid SACD which includes the CD layer and a HI RES STEREO/MULTICHANNEL layer....thus doing FULL justice to the album itself and Steve's STELLAR efforts.

Does it really take a genius to figure this out? And insult to injury: a DTS option and at the very least a 96/24 stereo remix could've [and frankly should've] been included.

2011, a strange period in our hobby.. a sort of no-man's land/transition period, kinda tricky times as i remember where the best "new stuff" to be found was all the out of print things! i think this SW 5.1 of Caravan may have been a victim of timing with it being a UK UMe release?
a few years earlier and it could have been an SACD like the Moodies Quads, a few years later and it could've been a DVD-Audio or Blu-ray Audio by Opus, like the Tears For Fears/Bryan Adams 5.1's.. as to why Dolby Digital and no DTS option, it may seem kinda mystifying, UMe could do DTS DVD-V for the Layla SDE boxset (2011) and Universal's U.S. teams could still do DVD-Audio (Rush "Moving Pictures" & Sector DVD-A's in 2011/12, Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Southern Surroundings" in 2012).. ultimately i think it being a UK Universal release in 2011 without Opus' involvement may be what made it a Dolby Digital DVD-V?

Probably just a coincidence, but there is no SW MC on SACD, corrrect? Not that he necessarily has anything against the format.
But it's all blu-ray or DVD for him, right?

interesting observation.. 🤔
i've no hard evidence but i reckon it's just a coincidence since all the artists & labels SW did 5.1's of by the time he did them for them were either no longer doing SACD or never did SACD at all

Didn't I see somewhere here on the forum, that us old farts :unsure: :eek: can't hear above 16khz anyway?

Speak for yourself, Pupster 🐶 I'm a YOUNG BUCK!

See the source image

Back