Stuff that sounds amazing with the Surround Master

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well actually I am a tight wad also Freddie, I got the 740 from someone here on the forum for about half retail. But a carts. just a cart right, why settle for just ONE!!!

And no I haven't checked out all the Sansui goodies yet, let's pray they actually still work.

I got the Sansui bug from rawmacias, and I needed a better amp anyway (4.0 - Chucky-No Center!!!) so I ain't getting any younger - what the fuck, if ya can swing it - time's a runnin' faster than we are my brothers.
I'm slowly building a QUAD system, up up and away.🥳

bah one's never enough! (i'm softcore and i've got 4 carts on the go.. but i always come back to the AT440MLb) wtf indeed! for tomorrow we fry!! ☀
(is it getting hot in here... 💦

bah one's never enough! (i'm softcore and i've got 4 carts on the go.. but i always come back to the AT440MLb) wtf indeed! for tomorrow we fry!! ☀
(is it getting hot in here... 💦
Yeah I only have 2 carts I switch out. One is an AT something number with spherical stylus for playing 78's ( I have several dozen inherited from my parents) and the other is an AT440MLb also. You can always spend more but I think this is a sweet spot for me. It's been a while but worked well with my Clarion & JVC CD-4. They're resting in the closet right now.

And said cart playing from a non-USB AT-LP120.

Danny O'keefe is first and foremost a story teller. Go for the story first and then get drawn into the music. What's interesting playing this one through the Surround Master is that the bass guitar seems to be prominently focused in the left rear channel. This is unusual for most decoded music I've heard so far; but tends to be fitting with the overall style of the music. Another thing that Mr. O'keefe always had going for himself is the unique sound of his singing voice. When you hear him sing, you know it's him, and that is something rare to have; and his vocals just sound soothing and homey to me. Breezy Stories has always been a favorite of mine and is only enhanced further by having all those luscious vocals and instruments wrapped around you like a winter's blanket.

Along for the ride with Danny on this one are:
Hugh McCracken - guitar
Donny Hathaway - piano
Gordon Edwards - bass
Bernard Purdie - drums
Norman Pride - congas
Airto Morietra - percussion; tambourine
Dominic Cortese - accordian
Montego Joe - congas
Arif Mardin - vibes & bass marimba
Richard Davis - upright bass
Cissy Houston, Myrna Smith & Sylvia Shemwell - background vocals
David Bromberg - acoustic & electric guitars, dobro
Andy Statman - mandolin
Ken Kosek - fiddle
Dr. John - piano
Hugh McDonald - bass
Steve Morsley -drums
Gene Orloff & Emanuel Green - violins
Charles McCracken - cello
Richard Dickler & Norman Forrest - violas
Peter Ecklund - trumpet
John Payne - tenor sax
Reggie Young - electric guitar
John Christopher - acoustic guitar
Bobby Wood - pianos
Shane Keister - piano
Bobby Emmons - organ
Mike Leech - bass
Gene Chrisman - drums
Hayward Bishop - percussion
Leo LeBlanc - steel guitar
PRODUCED BY - ARIF MARDIN

* This release also features the songs: "The Road" and "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues"; and a very respectable overall DR of 13.
https://www.discogs.com/Danny-OKeefe-Breezy-Stories/release/5932760
I would not have taken the time to type all these player's names if I didn't think they had done a great job; and to highlight what fabulous musicians Danny & Arif corralled for this very special album - Breezy as you please!

DO-BS.JPG

Last edited:
Danny O'keefe is first and foremost a story teller. Go for the story first and then get drawn into the music. What's interesting playing this one through the Surround Master is that the bass guitar seems to be prominently focused in the left rear channel. This is unusual for most decoded music I've heard so far; but tends to be fitting with the overall style of the music. Another thing that Mr. O'keefe always had going for himself is the unique sound of his singing voice. When you here him sing, you know it's him, and that is something rare to have; and his vocals just sound soothing and homey to me. Breezy Stories has always been a favorite of mine and is only enhanced further by having all those luscious vocals and instruments wrapped around you like a winter's blanket.

Along for the ride with Danny on this one are:
Hugh McCracken - guitar
Donny Hathaway - piano
Gordon Edwards - bass
Bernard Purdie - drums
Norman Pride - congas
Airto Morietra - percussion; tambourine
Dominic Cortese - accordian
Montego Joe - congas
Arif Mardin - vibes & bass marimba
Richard Davis - upright bass
Cissy Houston, Myrna Smith & Sylvia Shemwell - background vocals
David Bromberg - acoustic & electric guitars, dobro
Andy Statman - mandolin
Ken Kosek - fiddle
Dr. John - piano
Hugh McDonald - bass
Steve Morsley -drums
Gene Orloff & Emanuel Green - violins
Charles McCracken - cello
Richard Dickler & Norman Forrest - violas
Peter Ecklund - trumpet
John Payne - tenor sax
Reggie Young - electric guitar
John Christopher - acoustic guitar
Bobby Wood - pianos
Shane Keister - piano
Bobby Emmons - organ
Mike Leech - bass
Gene Chrisman - drums
Hayward Bishop - percussion
Leo LeBlanc - steel guitar
PRODUCED BY - ARIF MARDIN

* This release also features the songs: "The Road" and "Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues"; and a very respectable overall DR of 13.
https://www.discogs.com/Danny-OKeefe-Breezy-Stories/release/5932760
I would not have taken the time to type all these player's names if I didn't think they had done a great job; and to highlight what fabulous musicians Danny & Arif corralled for this very special album - Breezy as you please!

View attachment 42024

Pupsta, one of my ALL TIME VERY FAVORITE ALBUMS. A mini masterpiece, IMO. And NO hi res physical disc. UNTHINKABLE!

Newbie here (first post after my self intro)
I have found my way to the StudioMaster forum by the desire to hear one of my favorite albums, Santana Caravanserai, in quad. So, what are your thoughts on that record and also Lotus with the StudioMaster(s)?
So far the new v2 is my frontrunner in building out quad capability for the Columbia recordings on quad LP.

I have found my way to the StudioMaster forum by the desire to hear one of my favorite albums, Santana Caravanserai, in quad. So, what are your thoughts on that record and also Lotus with the StudioMaster(s)?
So far the new v2 is my frontrunner in building out quad capability for the Columbia recordings on quad LP.

Hi Mwhealton

Welcome to this great forum. Dunno the answer to your question but I am sure one of the other guys will answer soon!!

Regards

Chucky

Welcome aboard mwhealton!
To become more familiarized with the new Surround Master version 2 (SMv2) I'd recommend reading this thread thoroughly:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...mp-to-the-left-and-a-step-to-the-right.25170/
Also, to research some Quad and any other type releases, discogs is a good starting point (along with this forum of course.)
https://www.discogs.com/Santana-Caravanserai/master/37589
Caravanserai is also my favorite Santana Quad release; looks like the various Quad LP releases were all SQ encoded, and there was a Q8 (Quad 8-track) release, that probably has a more discrete mix. Here's some discussion on Caravanserai:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...s-anyone-ever-seen-it.2477/page-2#post-409894
I of course purchased the SMv2 and highly recommend it. You'll need to roll your sleeves up and do research here to find the right thread concerning the proper equipment like Turntables and cartridge/needle combos to get what you're after; this forum is very deep in content. You may best want to utilize the Search button at the upper right to help with this. It sometimes helps to search on Google with very specific words, and you may get better results for the QuadraphonicQuad site.

I don't have the Quad version of Lotus, only the original stereo LPs. There is a 2017 Sony SACD Quad releases of Lotus, you can check out from this list (don't know if you can play Quad SACDs?)
https://www.discogs.com/Santana-Lotus/master/101753
It helps when asking questions to first let folks here know what gear you already have and a general idea of what you're budget for new gear will be.

Hope that helps - Cheers!:hi

Last edited:
I needed to listen to some good old and loved music today. So I played Wishbone Ash "Argus: Expanded Edition" (which was remixed in 2002 by Martin Turner (Bass player), so the multi tracks exist - 5.1 mix please) through the SM2 in 4.0 Involve Mode, I tweaked the rears by about +3dB. It sounds great, surrounded by music, often rhythm guitars in the rear, rest in the front. On a couple of tracks the guitar was purely Left Rear before the other instruments came in. Made me smile - which was needed. The live bonus tracks sound good as well. Give Argus (2002 mix) a listen in 4.0 Involve Mode.

Thanks for the welcomes!

And Pupster, Thank you for the detailed reply. That is perfect:

1. The new 'New Surround Master Is Coming' thread: I've been reading that and looking forward to impressions now that people have the unit.

2. Discogs. Oh yes, know the site and am becoming a frequent flyer..

3. The Caravanserai discussion: Thank you for that thread! (I have a gold band Caravanserai on its way thru discogs). I love that album, and originally heard it on 8-track (stereo) on my very first stereo. I'm not sure how my parents knew to give me the album, but their picks were excellent: The others were Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn (8-track), Led Zeppelin 4th album - Zoso (LP), and I think Mahavishnu Birds of Fire (LP. Though I may have bought that one myself just after Christmas). In a way those albums have shaped my taste in rock/jazz. Later on, Caravanserai was a favorite in the college friends set, too.

4. Thanks for the tips on threads and searching. You're right about rolling up sleeves..

5. Lotus: My old LP set will be shipped from back East soon. Not sure if it is stereo or quad for sure, but I seem to recall it was a Japanese pressing and so it seems that means quad. I hope so!

6. Lotus on SACD: Thanks for that link. I have a copy of the Audio Fidelity SACD on its way now. Looks like I need to order the Sony Quad release as well.

7. Equipment: FYI for this thread since it really needs to be addressed in the appropriate fora: disc player: Oppo UDP-205; pre/pro: Lexicon MC-12B (running balanced),;Amplification: Classe CA-2300 (main LR), Lexicon MX-7 (all else); speakers: main LR B&W Nautilus 801 c. 1999, Center: B&W Nautilus HTM-1, Sides: B&W in-ceiling, Rears: B&W in-wall, sub: Vandersteen.

This is a great start. Thanks again, Pupster and everyone!

Back