HiRez Poll Paul Revere & The Raiders - HARD 'N' HEAVY & INDIAN RESERVATION [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Paul Revere & The Raiders - HARD 'N' HEAVY & INDIAN RESERVATION

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 Multichannel SACD release from Dutton Vocalion of two classic albums by Paul Revere & the Raiders, "Hard 'n' Heavy (with marshmallow)" and "Indian Reservation".
The Quadraphonic mix for "Indian Reservation" enjoys its first official release for the first time since the 1970s, whereas the Quadraphonic mix for "Hard 'n' Heavy" enjoys its first release ever! (Thanks DV!)

Hard 'n' Heavy (with marshmallow)
LP CS 9753 (1969) STEREO/PREV. UNRELEASED QUADRAPHONIC
1: MR. SUN, MR. MOON (Lindsay)
2: MONEY CAN’T BUY ME (Lindsay)
3: TIME AFTER TIME (Allison; Lindsay)
4: RIDE ON MY SHOULDER (Lindsay)
5: WITHOUT YOU (Lindsay)
6: TRISHALANA (Allison; Lindsay)
7: OUT ON THAT ROAD (Allison; Lindsay)
8: HARD AND HEAVY 5 STRING SOUL BANJO (Weller)
9: WHERE YOU GOIN’ GIRL (Weller)
10: CINDERELLA SUNSHINE (Lindsay)

Indian Reservation
LP C 30768 (1971) STEREO/CQ 30768 QUADRAPHONIC
12: INDIAN RESERVATION (Loudermilk) (THE LAMENT OF THE CHEROKEE RESERVATION INDIAN)
13: THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME (Mann; Well)
14: PRINCE OF PEACE (Russell; Dempsey)
15: HEAVEN HELP US ALL (Miller)
16: TAKE ME HOME (Melcher)
17: JUST REMEMBER YOU’RE MY SUNSHINE (Settle)
18: COME IN, YOU’LL GET PNEUMONIA (Vanda; Young; Cahill)
19: EVE OF DESTRUCTION (Sloan)
20: BIRDS OF A FEATHER (South)
21: THE TURKEY (Lindsay)

Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton

Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

CDSML8563

81Ce5gE5SuL._SL1429_.jpg

Oh, c'mon! Somebody please tell me!! Is the Hard & Heavy Quad mix similar to the reel that was going around or is it entirely different?

I don't have either Q, but from D~V's website: Remastered from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton

At best, that reel 'going around' is 7 1/2 ips vs. the original analogue tapes @ 15 ips.

And if I'm not mistaken, Mark Wilder remixed two unfinished tracks for that album from the original multitracks especially for this D~V release.

Last edited:
Oh, c'mon! Somebody please tell me!! Is the Hard & Heavy Quad mix similar to the reel that was going around or is it entirely different?

I think the Surround SACD of "Hard 'n' Heavy" beats the quad tape copy you are referring to by some margin.
Not to mention the new 2019 Quad Mixes of Tracks 1 and 5 by Mark Wilder.

But the real highlight here is Indian Reservation in Surround Sound.
It's quite a leap forward from hearing it via SQ or Q8. Worth the price of the Surround SACD right there. :)

A "10" from me.

I think the Surround SACD of "Hard 'n' Heavy" beats the quad tape copy you are referring to by some margin.
Not to mention the new 2019 Quad Mixes of Tracks 1 and 5 by Mark Wilder.

Did not realize these two songs are recently mixed. Was kinda hoping this was a complete version, mixed back in the day. Because if the rest of the songs are sourced from the same "Robin Reel", they are missing overdubs or use the wrong vocal takes or are missing edits present in the stereo tracks.

But the real highlight here is Indian Reservation in Surround Sound.
It's quite a leap forward from hearing it via SQ or Q8. Worth the price of the Surround SACD right there. :)

A "10" from me.

Oh absolutely. I'd be all over this if it was JUST the 'Res album. The fact it includes Hard & Heavy is just marshmallow on the cake! But now I'm REALLY curious about the mix!

Ok, just gave this a first listen. I found HnH to be a delightful cotton candy pop-psych treat! More a product of '67 than IR, which tended to be heavier (and reminded me of the sounds on 3 Dog Night records, for some reason). IR (the song itself) was a bit muddier than I would like, but that might be the old tapes or even original sound -- good to hear it again, and the Hammond organ /w Leslie ending was startling clear and nicely in the back left surround. Didn't realize they did a cover of "Eve of Destruction"! There was even some Jorma-like feedback at the end (or am I thinking that because the last time I heard it live, it was covered by Hot Tuna?). I can see myself playing this release again soon -- the quad was excellent and yes, the center speaker wasn't even needed (although my Auro 2d setting might have put it in there).

I gave it an 8 (reserving the higher echelons for a certain Beatle release, may I not be disappointed). Maybe I am a turkey. Btw, did I catch a Dr. John vibe in the intro to that song?

Edit: The Raiders had a commercial relationship with Vox, so that might be a Vox, not a Hammond. That's a Leslie, though, for the effect, I can hear it!

Last edited:
I didn't expect to see this release, but it's always nice when an unreleased Quad turns up. I've always liked Paul Revere & the Raiders but would consider bubblegum to be the best descriptor of their music. By 1971 bubblegum just didn't sell anymore, the kids had grown up a bit and that genre wasn't cool any more, so they rebranded as The Raiders. Indian Reservation is more mainstream rock. The sound quality and mix of both these albums is excellent, so far all the Columbia Quads have sounded great! Indian Reservation might sound a bit muddy due to the bass equalisation employed. Overall Reservation is good but suffers a bit from the lack of original material. I always liked the hit "Birds of a Feather" but it seems a bit popish today. Still overall very happy to have this.

So, as it turns out - Hard & Heavy is the same mix that was on the Robin reel. Not sure I like the cross-channel drums & bass on the original songs. Since Mark's vocals are generally in all channels at same intensity, it might have made a little more sense to center up the drums and the bass to match the remixed songs.

LOVE the remixed "Mr Sun, Mr Moon". Thank you Mark Wilder, that was AWESOME.

Indian Res sounds great. Standard early Columbia wonky mix. Two songs have cross-channel drums.... bass is never centered. It's good for what it is but could definitely stand a modern remix. Maybe I'll try to put that bug in Mark's ear.

I'm partial to Hard n Heavy myself which is more varied musically, and retains some of their almost punkishness 60s sound. Think garage style with a dollop of psychedelia on top. Pop...maybe (it's not a bad word), but interesting and well done. The Reservation is more 1970/1 sounding, not sure if that 's in a good way though...some songs weighed down with string overdubs, but a couple of good ones in there. Mix....8, Music 9 and 7 for me, Zound quality is a 9+. What's that average to?

Anyone else hear some kind of distorted/scratchy drum moments during the Indian Reservation album? Was that intended? Or maybe deterioration of the tapes?
I've only given on quick listen. I mostly liked both albums, but heard a moment here or there that I question.

I'm partial to Hard n Heavy myself which is more varied musically, and retains some of their almost punkishness 60s sound. Think garage style with a dollop of psychedelia on top. Pop...maybe (it's not a bad word), but interesting and well done. The Reservation is more 1970/1 sounding, not sure if that 's in a good way though...some songs weighed down with string overdubs, but a couple of good ones in there. Mix....8, Music 9 and 7 for me, Zound quality is a 9+. What's that average to?

a 9!! 🤷‍♀️ 😉

Anyone else hear some kind of distorted/scratchy drum moments during the Indian Reservation album? Was that intended? Or maybe deterioration of the tapes?
I've only given on quick listen. I mostly liked both albums, but heard a moment here or there that I question.

i've not noticed it but i'll gladly play it again to see if i can hear what you're hearing.
which drum bits on which songs should i be keeping an ear out for?

Well, ya can't get blood from a stone Mr. Blue but you sure can try. BTW, I voted a 9 for this dynamic D~V DUO!

seven takes me closer to heaven,
eight carries its weight..
and nine's sweet like wine 🍷

edit: i should add, my "10" ratio's gone completely out the window since DV came along.. i was routinely dishing out what i thought were perfectly respectable 7's, 8's and occasional 9's for the better surround discs in the QQ Polls... but now?? fookin' 'eck, i'm about to wear out that "10" button!!! its gone into overdrive!!! 😱 💃🏾

Last edited:
What John said. To me, H&H sounds like a real "group" album whereas IR sounds more like a solo album with the horns and strings overused. Would have liked to hear more just "group" tunes which is why The Turkey is my fav on IR. For these reasons I give H&H a 10 but IR an 8. Overall 9.

P.S. Sorry to see that Paul got bumped off the tank on the combined cover.

I listened to Hard N Heavy (with marshmallow) today. I dislike this album because it is typical of much of the non-hit-single pop music of that era. But I like it because...well...it IS typical of the non-hit-single pop music of that era. :) With every song, I keep getting an image of watching a movie from the late sixties with that particular song appearing in the soundtrack. I suspect that with a couple of additional listens I will come to like this record and give it high marks for content.

Audio quality is a different story. This one is all marshmallow in that it's like it was recorded to sound good on AM radio. It is very tinny sounding needing prodigious applications of equalization. I found the rear channels a bit overwhelming and needing to be reduced a couple of dB.

Indian Reservation is next. Then I will vote.

Back