Why Hasn't Pink Floyd's The Wall Been Reissued on Surround Sound SACD?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought. With today's technology , is possible to deconstruct , then reconstruct into multichannel?

Before you say it, I will. Yeah , I don't know what I am talking about , but that hasn't stopped me before!
Sure, but it is an a**load of work. I've done such restorations to a few minutes of monaural material and spent days. A couple hours of 24 tracks is a monumental undertaking.

I know guys here with real good ears can sniff out those Un-Pure surround mixes- like steelydavešŸ˜š
No, it would be a true surround mix if the multis were restored channel by channel. However, that is so labor intensive that an "Un-Pure surround mix" is probably the only thing that will ever happen, if even that does.

I would love if the Floyd camp or Guthrie would at least give us some definitive update if the multi tracks were able too be saved or not and if we will ever see a multichannel release. I mean if he couldnā€™t ā€œbake themā€ for one more use then at least let us know so we arenā€™t left wandering forever. What was it, 7 years ago when JG mentioned this in an interview?

Iā€™m just getting older and my ears getting worse here, come on man ;)
BTW, just baking tapes is not at all unusual. I was under the impression that there were multiple failed edit points.

BTW, just baking tapes is not at all unusual. I was under the impression that there were multiple failed edit points.

But I read that you can only bake those masters ONCE and the Scotch Brand tape on which it was recorded had a defective binding. I wonder how it would sound if they put the STEREO MASTERS through the Surround Master v.2? IMO, probably better than an upmix.

But I read that you can only bake those masters ONCE and the Scotch Brand tape on which it was recorded had a defective binding. I wonder how it would sound if they put the STEREO MASTERS through the Surround Master v.2? IMO, probably better than an upmix.
Actually, that would be an upmix. It would just be one using different technology.

Defective binding is the reason you bake a tape. Any tape that needs baked has to be done because of defective binding. The question is, how much tape shed has already happened? That will determine the frequency and extent of drop outs.

Actually, that would be an upmix. It would just be one using different technology.

Defective binding is the reason you bake a tape. Any tape that needs baked has to be done because of defective binding. The question is, how much tape shed has already happened? That will determine the frequency and extent of drop outs.

It's amazing how MUM the PF Camp including James Guthrie has been on the Wall's remixing progress. Wish we knew whether he gave up because it proved to be an impossible task or it got sidelined for other PF releases. I'm sure Animals will come out first but even that is taking forever since the remix has already been done.

Last edited:

I was just thinking along those lines...How does the stereo version of this album sound when played through Surround Master V2? Or perhaps, what would processing the stereo through the Fosgate Tate II 101A produce? I have heard Tate Surround yield amazing results when fed suitable program material. @sjcorne have you tried listening to any of The Wall through Tate Surround?

@sjcorne have you tried listening to any of The Wall through Tate Surround?

I actually haven't tried it yet, but I do have the LP. I've heard at least two upmix attempts by other members, probably done with SPEC or other PC software. I think one was straight 4.0 and the other was 5.1, and I remember one of them being fairly impressive.

Last edited:
The only thing I still hold on to concerning "The Wall" for this year is the possibility of Criterion releasing a Blu-Ray version of the movie in either November or December (and the Blu-Ray would of course contain a 5.1 soundtrack) but beyond that, I'm not expecting anything else for this year.

I highly doubt Criterion would put the movie out. Sony owns both the video rights to the movie, and the distribution rights to the band's music (through Pink Floyd Records). I would guess that the next release of it on Blu-ray (and hopefully 4K) would coincide with another deluxe set of the album, rather than released on it's own.

Live At Pompeii is way more likely, because the band do not own the rights at all to the movie (except it's soundtrack, which was released with the Early Years box), last I heard of it Universal owns it.

Back