7 More Dutton Vocalion Releases in July 2019 - Guess Who, Paul Revere & Raiders, Charlie Rich

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me neither.......

I understand Michael Duttons flight got delayed, he will have a stopover tomorrow to deliver Larrys order in New York then catches a connecting flight to LAX to drop off mine.
You get the personal touch with these smaller companies.....

I purchased Guess Who with American Woman and Share The Land. Also, Paul Revere and The Raiders Hard N Heavy, plus Indian Reservation.
They are both great. The Guess Who twofer is a must have. It sounds great and I personally think it sounds better than the AF greatest Hits on songs shared by both discs. Mr. Dutton gives us everything on the original tapes, including some kind of very low frequency rumble on tracks 6 and 8. ( AC or the mics picking up room vibrations, I don't know. Curious as to what others think it might be.) And the music sounds very contemporary, not out of date at all. I can listen to this SACD without my wife saying, "There goes Mike listening to his old 60s shit again."
Paul Revere and The Raiders, on the other hand, does show its age both sonically and musically. Indian Reservation sounds much better than Hard N Heavy. Both albums have a lot of fun with the Quadraphonic presentation. Those who like 4-channel effects will dig this release. PR and The Raiders does take me back to that era and I had a really fun time listening.
So, thank you Dutton Vocalion for two more terrific releases. Highly recommended, especially the Guess Who. Thanks for reading. Time now to relax. 🥃:smokin

"There goes Mike listening to his old 60s shit again."

Thanks for the info especially on The Guess Who albums. I'm looking forward to the arrival of mine.

Regarding your wife's comments on the "old 60s shit," you can start playing stuff from the 50s too...then let's hear what she has to say!

Which ones did you get?

The Guess Who, The Raiders, Ray Conniff, the two Charles Gerdhardt film Score SACDs, Charlie Rich and the Artur Rubinstein Piano Concerto for a total of 7 discs and four were two fers [8 albums] and the Gerhardt and Rubinstein discs had bonus tracks.

Last edited:
The Guess Who, The Raiders, Ray Conniff, the two Charles Gerdhardt film Score SACDs, Charlie Rich and the Artur Rubinstein Piano Concerto for a total of 7 discs and four were two fers [8 albums] and the Gerhardt and Rubinstein discs had bonus tracks.
Nice haul! I’m interested in hearing your feedback on the quad nature of the film score SACDs.

Nice haul! I’m interested in hearing your feedback on the quad nature of the film score SACDs.

Every single one of the Charles Gerhardt film score RCA RED SEAL SACDs are superb. I've had some of them on dolby b encoded QUAD Open Reels and the Dutton Vocalion remastering from the original analogue QUAD tapes are beyond reproach. And back in the day when the scores first appeared, they all received unanimous praise from all the audiophile magazines.

I cannot tell you how gratified I am that Michael Dutton was able to release these treasures in such impeccable sonics. And they're all DISCRETE. And to be honest, doubtful any cartridge/tonearm/turntable and CD~4 decoder could ever do justice to what this small UK company has achieved ..... IN SPADES.

If you have any interest in film music ........I would buy them all especially at D~V's rock bottom pricing.

Every single one of the Charles Gerhardt film score RCA RED SEAL SACDs are superb. I've had some of them on dolby b encoded QUAD Open Reels and the Dutton Vocalion remastering from the original analogue QUAD tapes are beyond reproach. And back in the day when the scores first appeared, they all received unanimous praise from all the audiophile magazines.

I cannot tell you how gratified I am that Michael Dutton was able to release these treasures in such impeccable sonics. And they're all DISCRETE. And to be honest, doubtful any cartridge/tonearm/turntable and CD~4 decoder could ever do justice to what this small UK company has achieved ..... IN SPADES.

If you have any interest in film music ........I would buy them all especially at D~V's rock bottom pricing.
Incidentally, I do so wish the Gerhardt versions of Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars/Close Encounters were available in quad, but the latter is 2 years too late (and the former was actually an early digital/soundstream recording). Williams was friendly with them (especially George Korngold, who produced them) and gave them access to concert versions of the suites, not just the versions for the films.

I have the same seven on the way.

I stay away for a few weeks and look what happens!!

Ordered all 3 plus the Barenboim.

But there WERE 7 in all. See what happens, Whiz, when you stray from the fold?

See the source image

The five DV SACD's that Mrs. Surround bought for my birthday have arrived (safely with no cracked jewel cases.) But she won't give them to me NOW!!!! She's gonna wait until my actual birthday! :eek: I don't know where they are because she has hid them. No amount of begging, obvious signs of heart palpitations, sweating or chills is doing any good. I'll have to go cold turkey. Some one call this guy...😁

turkey.jpg

The five DV SACD's that Mrs. Surround bought for my birthday have arrived (safely with no cracked jewel cases.) But she won't give them to me NOW!!!! She's gonna wait until my actual birthday! :eek: I don't know where they are because she has hid them. No amount of begging, obvious signs of heart palpitations, sweating or chills is doing any good. I'll have to go cold turkey. Some one call this guy...😁

View attachment 42605

If Mrs. Surround is buying you DV discs then you have a keeper. (y)
My wife wouldn’t have a clue on what to buy or where to buy it

Back