Audio Fidelity Unreleased Byrds SACD - For Sale by AF!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed this now out of stock 4.0 sacd of The Byrds - Fifth Dimension.

https://audiophilecollectibles.com/product/byrds-fifth-dimension
I wonder how many of these were pressed.

I wonder if Dutton Vocalion could access the 4.0 masters of this iconic album. Would probably constitute one of their all time BEST SELLERS!

See the source image

Last edited:
Wonder why AF did not push this title out sooner agree would have sold a lot higher than some of the less desirable titles they released. Wow we almost had this.....

Wonder who did the 4.0 remix? The album was released in July of 1966 a good 4or 5 years before Columbia Records started to release SQ Vinyl and Q8s. Hmmmmm!

AFAIK, Quadraphonic Discography only lists the Byrds' Byrdmaniax as having been released in SQ Japanese Vinyl.

Last edited:
In my correspondence with Marshall, the Byrds title was never mentioned, and I never got a test disc to check out. Maybe Brian did? I would guess that this one was one of the titles that went away (like the BS&T GH) when the boom was lowered. Too bad, as this would have been a title that probably would have sold out like some of the others. Surely more worthy than "Fresh Aire 8"!

AFZ 5 205 sacd ref never released.jpg

Last edited:
In my correspondence with Marshall, the Byrds title was never mentioned, and I never got a test disc to check out. Maybe Brian did? I would guess that this one was one of the titles that went away (like the BS&T GH) when the boom was lowered. Too bad, as this would have been a title that probably would have sold out like some of the others. Surely more worthy than "Fresh Aire 8"!

Jon, I recall that Marshall had toyed with the idea of having a title remixed into 5.1 from scratch by one of his staff ..... do you recall the title in question?

That Byrds title also appeared in an old Sony SACD catalog - it was said to be a 5.1 remix by Thom Cadley. Perhaps that's what AF had licensed that for potential release. Notice the disc says "MCH", not "4.0".

View attachment 42883

With U.S. licensing fees @ $30K per title, as Jon stated, probably too prohibitive for AF ..... especially when the 'boom' came down @ AF. And probably off the table for D~V as well unless their 'special' relationship with SONY UK dictates otherwise!

Otherwise, a choice title for SONY Japan via their special 7" packaging!

That Byrds title also appeared in an old Sony SACD catalog - it was said to be a 5.1 remix by Thom Cadley. Perhaps that's what AF had licensed that for potential release. Notice the disc says "MCH", not "4.0".

View attachment 42883

BTW, Jonathan from the AF website regarding The Byrds Fifth Dimension:

The Byrds <> Fifth Dimension
This is an original Audio Fidelity CD Reference Disc for designated Catalog # AFZ5 205 that was NEVER RELEASED by the label. The SACD DSD Check DISC is placed in white board case. Catalog ID information and program is printed on the disc. This 4.0 Qd Hybrid SACD was Produced by Allen Stanton and Remastered for this scheduled Audio Fidelity release by Steve Hoffman at Stephen Marsh Mastering. This title was NEVER RELEASED.

Tom Cadley probably remixed for 5.1 from the original QUAD masters as was the practice in the early 00's when preparing for multichannel SACD release...or scrapped the original QUAD and remixed into 5.1 from scratch!

Last edited:
BTW, Jonathan from the AF website regarding The Byrds Fifth Dimension:

The Byrds <> Fifth Dimension
This is an original Audio Fidelity CD Reference Disc for designated Catalog # AFZ5 205 that was NEVER RELEASED by the label. The SACD DSD Check DISC is placed in white board case. Catalog ID information and program is printed on the disc. This 4.0 Qd Hybrid SACD was Produced by Allen Stanton and Remastered for this scheduled Audio Fidelity release by Steve Hoffman at Stephen Marsh Mastering. This title was NEVER RELEASED.

Tom Cadley probably remixed for 5.1 from the original QUAD masters as was the practice in the early 00's when preparing for multichannel SACD release...or scrapped the original QUAD and remixed into 5.1 from scratch!

I wonder if ThomC will see this and comment?

So Jon, what was the title of the mch SACD which Marshall said AF would mix from scratch .... but later scrapped? [see post #6 above].

Sorry, I meant to answer you earlier. The answer? I have no idea. Honestly. I don't remember ever corresponding with him about them doing there own 5.1 mix. I always understood that it would be too expensive.

Again, I would defer to Brian, because he had a real connection to them. I was merely an email address on the internet!

I look occasionally at the site and other "reference" disc's "unreleased" they sold for over the asking price of $100 for this title. Someone from this group has made sure that all these "reference" disc's are on Discogs. This particular one The Bryds Fifth Dimension is listed with at the moment 10 interested parties wanting to own it but the owner is still hiding. I personally know the owner of the Best of the Doors reference disc and it's Me...... Ha.... My sons bought it for me for Father's Day this year 2019, I was shocked that it was on Discogs and 3 members want to own it (but there is only one).
In reality we're music lovers/collectors and I'm thinking for $100 the Bryd disc or any others they sell with the unreleased status would be the smart purchase from a collectors viewpoint.

The Byrds AF test press number is ACRD5 205. That puts it between AF titles:

America, Homecoming AFZ5-204 and
The Doors, The Best of The Doors AFZ5-206, if we just go by the last three numbers.

Maybe someone else knows more about AF's catalog, or has a different AF Multi-Channel title test press. Maybe AF's test press numbers started with: ACRD5

Anyway, if it was to cone out between the releases of "Homecoming" and "The Doors," with plenty of Multi-Channel titles yet to be released by AF, why didn't this get released? This title was almost released in two different decades, with maybe two different masterings.

I believe Brian Moura in one of his posts stated that once the contracts were signed to release a reissue it was a 'done deal' and the reissue company was obligated to adhere to that contract. What could've gone wrong ...... did one of the Byrds object or was the replicated remaster subpar in any way?

Hopefully, Brian who was in contact with Marshall Blonstein will shed some light on why Fifth Dimension was pulled from release as it would've made a stunning addition to AF's QUAD/5.1 ouvre......and inform us who the lucky owner of the SA~CD~R is.

Some more info in these old threads, including quotes from Thom Cadley about remixing The Byrds' 5D and Stevie Ray Vaughn's Couldn't Stand The Weather to 5.1(!!)

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ot-released-on-surround-sacd.569/#post-429505http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/srv-byrds-to-be-hybrid-m-c-releases.451/
Looks like AF was planning to finally liberate this shelved Sony title as they did with Al Kooper's Super Session and Child Is Father To The Man 5.1's - what a shame it didn't happened. Hopefully the person that grabbed that disc is one of us and not a stereo-only type...

Last edited:
Back