Sansui QS-D1000 Manual

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless I'm overlooking something (always a chance of that) all I see is parts placement diagram, not a schematic. Also there are 2 main PC boards in the D1000. Looking at from the back this is a diagram of the left side board. It's the other board that containing the power supply and of course other variomatrix stuff.

At the risk of stating the obvious & being foolish, you are using a 100V step down transformer for this, right? And did this work before or did you buy recently & just tried it? Does the power on light come or anything happen? Or is it completely dread?

There are no visible power fuses internally to check or replace. I say visible because there's a small PCB mounted on the side wall that handles input power & routing to/from power switch. It might be hidden on bottom side of that between the PCB and the plastic wall of the enclosure.

Older units like D-2 had just 1 power supply that was adjustable to 25V. In the D1000 there are multiple power supplies. By the big transformer you can see VR1, VR2 associated with Q2 & Q5 respectively. This supplies the +- bipolar 15V for the input, output and basically everything but the QS chips. There is another voltage regulator M IC1 that probably derives the 25V for the Sansui chips, no adjustment control. Proper volts for the Sansui chips are:

HA1327 Phase Discriminator 25V pin 11
HD3103 FET IC 22.5V pin 9
HA1328 Matrix IC 25V pin 8

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time.

Thanks for pointing that out that this is not the full schematic, I`m not a techy person it was given to me so if anybody has the full schematic I would be interested in one my self.
BBQ...

Mr CV:
Do you have a copy of the schematic?
Sorry, I do not. When I received my QS-D1000 from a Japanese auction, I opened it and disconnected the ransformer from the circuit board to check the voltage with a 120-100 volt step down transformer on the primary winding. As there were only two wires for secondary, it was very easy. I bought the highest current Hammond transformer from ePay and installed it. Never had any issues with it, I will have to open it one day and check solder connections and contacts as I tried to stack my Akai open reel deck on top due to space limitations. Big mistake. Decoding went wonky. When I received it, I did not get the original box, documentation or any accessories, just the decoder. As I also have a QSD-1 and a QS-1 as well as my QRX7001, it was not a priority.

Sorry, I do not. When I received my QS-D1000 from a Japanese auction, I opened it and disconnected the ransformer from the circuit board to check the voltage with a 120-100 volt step down transformer on the primary winding. As there were only two wires for secondary, it was very easy. I bought the highest current Hammond transformer from ePay and installed it. Never had any issues with it, I will have to open it one day and check solder connections and contacts as I tried to stack my Akai open reel deck on top due to space limitations. Big mistake. Decoding went wonky. When I received it, I did not get the original box, documentation or any accessories, just the decoder. As I also have a QSD-1 and a QS-1 as well as my QRX7001, it was not a priority.

Well, I found it, sort of.
I had planned on doining a lot of upgrade & tweaking the D1000 (which worked out great BTW) so I had the original schematic enlarged to ~ 16x20 inches. Hardly something I can fit on my desktop scanner. So I guess tomorrow it's off to Kinko's to see if they can ensmall it. I had forgotten how much more complex this is than the D-2. If it doesn't work out well maybe I can have same size copies made & just post them to whoever needs it. Nope, it's definitely not the kind thing I can snap with my phone. Nice tight 2" curl to it also. We shall see.

See if they can scan to pdf and send copy to quadraphonic.info please. If it is too big for there, I would appreciate an ecopy. PM me if you need my email. Thanks muchly!😆

They were able to scan it & all is legible viewed at 100>150%. Sansui QS-D1000 Schematic via dropbox 1.5 MB

I will also upload to OQG.

At the risk of stating the obvious & being foolish, you are using a 100V step down transformer for this, right? And did this work before or did you buy recently & just tried it? Does the power on light come or anything happen? Or is it completely dread?

Yes, I am using a step down transformer (external). I am not doing the work, but rather have a vintage stereo repair shop doing it. I have owned the unit for about 15 years and never had a problem before. I really don't use it very often. (Have too many other options.) No, the power light does not come on. The unit was on and working and then suddenly went dead. I did open it up hoping there might be a fuse (did not see one) but I did not take the boards out or open the bottom. It did not occur to me that a fuse might be underneath a board.

Sonik Wiz, thank you for the full schematic this should be a big help in correcting the problem. I will pass it along to my repair shop.

Circular Vibes, I will also pass on your info about changing out the transformer if that turns out to be the problem. The repair shop mentioned that if it is the transformer, finding a (exact) replacement may be a challenge. Good to know an alternative is possible. In changing out the transformer with the Hammond model, did that change the operating voltage and eliminate the need for the outboard step down transformer?

Thanks for all the help, Quad People!

Circular Vibes, I will also pass on your info about changing out the transformer if that turns out to be the problem. The repair shop mentioned that if it is the transformer, finding a (exact) replacement may be a challenge. Good to know an alternative is possible. In changing out the transformer with the Hammond model, did that change the operating voltage and eliminate the need for the outboard step down transformer?

Yes it eliminated the outboard transformer. I used the highest current 25 volt secondary winding i could get and had no problems. I am not at home to look for the Hammond part number but will look asap.

Yes, I am using a step down transformer (external). I am not doing the work, but rather have a vintage stereo repair shop doing it. I have owned the unit for about 15 years and never had a problem before. I really don't use it very often. (Have too many other options.) No, the power light does not come on. The unit was on and working and then suddenly went dead. I did open it up hoping there might be a fuse (did not see one) but I did not take the boards out or open the bottom. It did not occur to me that a fuse might be underneath a board.

Sonik Wiz, thank you for the full schematic this should be a big help in correcting the problem. I will pass it along to my repair shop.

Did you check the output voltage of the step down xfmr to see if that might be the problem?

fwiw, the schematic shows a power transformer with 5 leads on the secondary side. A center-tapped 26?vac secondary, and a single 8v secondary to power the indicator LEDs.

fwiw, the schematic shows a power transformer with 5 leads on the secondary side. A center-tapped 26?vac secondary, and a single 8v secondary to power the indicator LEDs.

Alright, stupidity confession time. I found my Sansui transformer and the box from the Hammond replacement. I replaced the tranny in my QSD-1, not my QS-D1000. The Hammond part is 166J25. The Sansui part was 4002191. Boy do I feel like an idiot. When I saw the original tranny and thought this is very big, I compared the thickness to the QS-D1000 beside me and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I am sure a North American equivalent can be found, but I haven't done so yet. Sorry for the misinformation.

Good call. I was about to post as such too. Looking at it on my cell phone the 1st secondary is 28 vac center tapped that eventually provides 25v DC needed for the variomatrix chips and the bipolar +-15v DC for the input/output stages. The 8v is used for indicator lights and also FET switching etc. For example in the D2 a switch operated resistor provided the out of phase blending for the synthesizer function. In the D1000 a control voltage controls 2 FET gate resistsnce in series to turn the synth function on or off. I guess it could be debated which is the best way to go.

Back