Silverline DVD-A Winners & Losers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Jackie Leven DVD~A sounds 'otherworldly' on my system. I was playing it recently and sonically, it IS one of the better discs in my collection. Surprised it never caught on. The surround is hardly subtle as my listening room was awash in swirling effects and created quite the immersive soundfield.

To me, at least, it's a 10 out of 10!

https://www.amazon.com/Shining-Brot...&sr=1-3-fkmr2&keywords=Jackie+Leven+DVD~Audio

It really is a great, one-of-a-kind album. I'm so glad I picked this one up.

I just purchased this Dual Disc for $9.00, cant wait, sounds good on my shit speaker work computer. 51rCBe4KujL.jpg

I am getting lazy, I don't like using the Mikrosmooth anymore, too much of an ordeal, except for extra special music that I like.

With ALL that rain in Northern and Southern California, you're probably busy night and day but don't be lazy.....it's UNAMERICAN!

And when are you getting an OLED TV? The Scorpions, Katie Perry, Joe Satriani, Pat Metheny, Peter Gabriel etc. in 3D. And ALL those MARVEL action movies in 3D.....HOW CAN YOU RESIST, Mr. McIntosh? If you like MLP, you'll LOVE OLED!

BTW, on CNN today they say residents of Oakland, CA who live in second floor apartments are evacuating in BOATS. What's Going ON?

With ALL that rain in Northern and Southern California, you're probably busy night and day but don't be lazy.....it's UNAMERICAN!

And when are you getting an OLED TV? The Scorpions, Katie Perry, Joe Satriani, Pat Metheny, Peter Gabriel etc. in 3D. And ALL those MARVEL action movies in 3D.....HOW CAN YOU RESIST, Mr. McIntosh? If you like MLP, you'll LOVE OLED!

BTW, on CNN today they say residents of Oakland, CA who live in second floor apartments are evacuating in BOATS. What's Going ON?

It is very intense, especially for roofers, as we are just not available to help anyone. I have 100 calls just today. Since Dec 31 we have only worked 11 days. Little break through Friday and another round starts on Saturday. All creeks, dams, rivers are over capacity and breaking.

It is very intense, especially for roofers, as we are just not available to help anyone. I have 100 calls just today. Since Dec 31 we have only worked 11 days. Little break through Friday and another round starts on Saturday. All creeks, dams, rivers are over capacity and breaking.

INSANE. From extreme drought to DELUGE.

A few years ago we had 11 inches of rain over a two day period and my basement flooded. I lost a $14K Krell MONO amp (no rider on my home insurance). Hope you guys are safe. On Thursday, it's going to be 70 degrees in NY......should be in the high 40's. NO Global warming.........BS!

This is a fascinating thread. I own quite a few of these discs.

I didn't know about the classical releases that are getting good reviews.
I will need to look into these and see what's about.:unsure:

Although that can wait, as I'm busy celebrating Manchester United's incredible win at Juventus in the Champions League.

They won 2 1!! Get in. Wahooo

Living Colour Collideøscope

This is no surround tour de force.

Occasionally things pop from the surrounds.
Bongos, bgv's, organ, sometimes guitars or the lead vocal.

It is often that not all parts are in the surrounds, so the fronts tend to be somewhat discrete, if that makes sense.
The surrounds are not the stereo run through reverb.

The mix is overall somewhat muddy or dull.

My suspicion is that this is a wrap job.

Though the center usually has isolated elements, they are very faint.

I just wonder if all this could have been achieved with upmixing.

I sure would have taken a different approach to just about every moment of every song.

Maybe whatever is hard panned in the stereo mix is what pops from the surrounds? I think that's the way a wrap job works.

YMMV on the songs, but I don't think this is their best work. There is no "cult of personality" here.

Not very impressed with this one.

Markie, apply those TWO tweaks and you've got an outstanding sounding disc. It gives me goosebumps every time I hear it on my system.
This is an old post, but I’d like to hear about the TWO tweaks you mentioned. I’ve truly enjoy Jackie Levin, as is, would love to hear any possible improvements.

Never realized THE OLD KIT BAG by Thompson was Silverline! I do like it (and the lyrics that appear during the tunes). IIRC (and am not thinking of his other surround) it was going for bonkers prices, but I contacted the website and they actually had an at-cost one they dug up for me!

Bravo!
Rumour & Sigh tends to command high prices. Old Kit Bag, not so much, as far as I've seen.

Never realized THE OLD KIT BAG by Thompson was Silverline! I do like it (and the lyrics that appear during the tunes). IIRC (and am not thinking of his other surround) it was going for bonkers prices, but I contacted the website and they actually had an at-cost one they dug up for me!

Bravo!

"The website"? Thompson's website? (I see CD copies of Old Kit Bag, but not DualDisc/DVD-A.) Do tell!

"The website"? Thompson's website? (I see CD copies of Old Kit Bag, but not DualDisc/DVD-A.) Do tell!

This was several years ago, so don't get your hopes up (however, as I found out, it doesn't hurt to ask!). I recently ordered an autographed CD from RT's website. Why not. Have seen him solo several times and vastly enjoyed it!

This was several years ago, so don't get your hopes up. I recently ordered an autographed CD from RT's website. Why not. Have seen him solo several times and vastly enjoyed it!

Agreed: he's a great showman, with a lovely and generous stage presence!

There are always some winners when it comes to Silverline and anyone still curious, I'll list some from my collection.

In the excellent/very good category:

MOTORHEAD (ALL THREE)
Er...I heard rumours that only Ace Of Spades had a decent mix. I have that one. The bass is too loud and it isn't exactly audiophile - but hey, it does have separations. I was told to avoid Overkill like the plague.

Er...I heard rumours that only Ace Of Spades had a decent mix. I have that one. The bass is too loud and it isn't exactly audiophile - but hey, it does have separations. I was told to avoid Overkill like the plague.

I haven't heard Overkill, but I have the other two. Ace of Spades is very, very good. Deaf Forever is very, very bad.

Ace is great , overkill is a lesser listen .

So your probably right . And the third one I can only vaguely guess at (been way too long since i heard it at a demo) but it's not as great as ace, from ancient memory.

Back