Bob Dylan's "Desire"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
further to a post from QQ member J. PUPSTER about a CD of this album (CD 32570) that was said to be Quadraphonic over at Discogs, i thought i'd do some investigating.

initially, i assembled as many CDs as i had that contained the track "Hurricane", since this seemed quite a distinctive mix on my SQ LP when decoded.

WNOgWTe.jpg

cWSm49Z.jpg

anti-clockwise, from top L to top R, the discs i tried out were as follows;

The Essential Bob Dylan (UK Sony Music TV 2001),
Bob Dylan The Collection (UK Camden 2009),
"Desire" CD 32570 (UK Columbia 1997),
"Desire" CDCBS 86003 (Europe CBS 1986),
"Desire" Hybrid SACD COL 512345 6 (Europe Sony 2003),
"Desire" COL 512345 2 (Europe Sony 2004)

i suspect that part of what led people to think that CD (CD 32570) was Quadraphonic was the copy & pasted Quad remix credits in the booklet of the CD.. and upon further research, to my surprise, i discovered that it was not the only CD reissue of this album to have the Quad remix credits somewhere in the included booklet, in fact they all did!

as you can see in the images below,
the 1986 CBS CD, the 1997 Columbia CD and the 2004 Sony Europe CD all have the Quad remix credits lifted from the original SQ Quadraphonic LP!

8EzdUGX.jpg

efyP2pH.jpg

i5d9a0T.jpg

S6pWGuK.jpg

..and now the real fun begins! so far i have tried out all the CD sources in stereo and none of them resembled the Quad LP in SQ encoded 2-channel form.

in fact i was surprised that, mastering differences aside, the CDs all seemed to have the same mix, seemingly not the Quad.

i have since tried SQ decoding (through the Surround Master) the CD 'CD 32570' that some Discogs users believe to be Quadraphonic and it in no way resembles the SQ Quad LP when SQ decoded through the Surround Master.

SQ decoded CD 32570:

4pixFUA.jpg

SQ decoded SQ Quadraphonic LP:

LEM2YHh.jpg

Thanks for all the sleuthing and work on this Adam; bottom line is I love this album (even the SQ is not bad IMO) and can only hope some day they'll release a SACD in Quad but I'm not holding my breath. And that's just another reason why I got a SMv2 and am working on a TT to play this sort of material.
Cheers to you my friend - 🤩

Thanks for all the sleuthing and work on this Adam; bottom line is I love this album (even the SQ is not bad IMO) and can only hope some day they'll release a SACD in Quad but I'm not holding my breath. And that's just another reason why I got a SMv2 and am working on a TT to play this sort of material.
Cheers to you my friend - 🤩

you're very welcome! 👍
i'm not done yet 😉
the Surround Master plus a TT and a load of old QS and SQ LPs is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! (and that's a fweddie pwomise!) 😆

stick with it my friend, i picked up the Desire SQ LP (VG+ disc, VG sleeve) in December 2015 on Discogs for £23 incl shipping., i'm sure a decent copy will come up for more sensible money in time.
I think I paid about the same for my SQ LP ........................… I was convinced I had a stereo SACD of Desire, but I haven't only stereo one I have is Oh Mercy!

I think I paid about the same for my SQ LP ........................… I was convinced I had a stereo SACD of Desire, but I haven't only stereo one I have is Oh Mercy!
I've got the box set of SACDs with Desire in stereo (very nice one); it's on my stack to try with the SMv2; but like I mentioned the SQ I've heard sounds pretty good to me- but certainly not perfect surround being SQ.

I've got the box set of SACDs with Desire in stereo (very nice one); it's on my stack to try with the SMv2; but like I mentioned the SQ I've heard sounds pretty good to me- but certainly not perfect surround being SQ.
I have all the 5.1 Dylan SACDs, so on that 'recommendation' I've just ordered a new 2.0 SACD of Desire for £21 delivered :)

Back