Tool

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the list I just looked at is incomplete. What is your malfunction?

Pretty sure everything is functioning just fine, thank you very much. Watsy_73, maybe if Himey and Strilo remain confused you could throw them a bone...

Pretty sure everything is functioning just fine, thank you very much. Watsy_73, maybe if Himey and Strilo remain confused you could throw them a bone...

I can't wait!

Simple question. Here we go what? Please explain.
Sorry for the confusion. I guess I should have quoted your post and the post before yours to make it clear I was referring to the all-too-familiar (to me, at least) discussion about the direction of Wilson's music. A popcorn emoji would have helped too, I suppose.

See I know zero about his music. Only his surround mixes of other artists' work.

See I know zero about his music. Only his surround mixes of other artists' work.
You have a lot of catching up to do, if you feel inclined to do so. You would probably get a dozen recommendations on which one to try first, but I would suggest looking at the polls and pick one or two of the highest rated. Although he has a few other projects, I would lump anything from "Porcupine Tree" in as a legacy pick.

Last edited:
I've listened a few times so far and I like it. I think it's a solid followup to 10,000 Days. Definitely need more time with it. Tool is not an instant gratification band for me. Their stuff grows over time with more listens for me for sure.

The album cover isn't as interesting, distinctive, or arresting as those of previous releases, which I think is a shame. The embedded A/V display certainly does up the packaging ante from the previous two albums, which were already fairly intricate and impressive themselves. The art video itself is well done, and the ambient soundtrack serves it just fine. The case form factor is slightly awkward, but at least it fits my CD shelf.

As for the music... Eh. I did listen to the "full" 24/96 download from Qobuz. It has its moments, but there's little in the way of new ground trodden. Maynard's vocals are mostly subdued and he only really comes out of his shell on the closer, "7empest," which I think is the standout track overall despite dragging on a bit without creating additional interest. Also of note is "Culling Voices," which contrasts the most to their back catalogue.

Overall, not a bad album, but I agree with Fantano that it's probably their worst. It absolutely does not live up to the impossible hype set up by the 13-year gap.

The album cover isn't as interesting, distinctive, or arresting as those of previous releases, which I think is a shame. The embedded A/V display certainly does up the packaging ante from the previous two albums, which were already fairly intricate and impressive themselves. The art video itself is well done, and the ambient soundtrack serves it just fine. The case form factor is slightly awkward, but at least it fits my CD shelf.

As for the music... Eh. I did listen to the "full" 24/96 download from Qobuz. It has its moments, but there's little in the way of new ground trodden. Maynard's vocals are mostly subdued and he only really comes out of his shell on the closer, "7empest," which I think is the standout track overall despite dragging on a bit without creating additional interest. Also of note is "Culling Voices," which contrasts the most to their back catalogue.

Overall, not a bad album, but I agree with Fantano that it's probably their worst. It absolutely does not live up to the impossible hype set up by the 13-year gap.
How much did you pay for it and where’d you get it from, Jedi?

How much did you pay for it and where’d you get it from, Jedi?
https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/fear-inoculum-tool/e1zvrby3z03ob
I've listened to it a couple of times (listening to it right now) and I really like it a lot. I mean, it sounds exactly like Tool has always sounded. Listening in fake 7.2 surround via PLIIx with the center +1, surrounds +2, subs +6. Does it sound like an album 13 years in the making? No, but if it actually lived up to that impossible hype, it would probably blow the top of my head off! 🤯

Really wish Tool would release something in real surround and I would really love to have a live concert blu-ray. I've never seen them live, but from youtube clips I've seen, it seems like a professionally done concert video would be absolutely amazing with all of the trippy psychedelic video stuff they show behind them.

Back