Quadraphonic cassette (not 8 track) playback.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rawmacias, first, if the cassettes you found are indeed RM encoded and not just incorrect album art, I am envious. I have the Yamaha MT44 four channel cassette deck that had Dolby B and C and pitch control. There was a mixer and a cabinet as well but I did not buy them. I bought it because I was thinking of transferring Dolby reels and playing back by cassette until I found a TEAC 4 channel Dolby unit. My understanding was that a 4 track cassette deck had the head gaps in slightly different places than a stereo cassette head made for auto reverse.
The head layout is exactly the same as any 4 track cassette deck

Strange, but some discrete 4ch decks were adopted in Japan in 73.

Aiwa , Mitshubishi, JVC and Hitachi announced release news on these and demoed prototype decks (except Hitachi ....whom still hadn't shown their prototype).
BB 28-07-73 , PG 33.

And weirder still .....Sony released a cassette player with quad matrix recording and playback in mind. If I can find the ad I'll post it.

The head layout is exactly the same as any 4 track cassette deck
Just played the DSOTM tape . I used a stereo cassette player hooked to my QRX 9001. The two VU meters on the tape player showed output. I tried the QS button on the head unit . Left front , left and right back showed output with the left front a little weaker. The Right front had no output. Tried SQ ; same !
Then I played the AHM . Only stereo ! Bummer!

Just found out that the channel issue was in the tape player head alignment. Wiggling the tape a bit and got all four VU meters on the 9001 showing output

Last edited:
Just played the DSOTM tape . I used a stereo cassette player hooked to my QRX 9001. The two VU meters on the tape player showed output. I tried the QS button on the head unit . Left front , left and right back showed output with the left front a little weaker. The Right front had no output. Tried SQ ; same !
Then I played the AHM . Only stereo ! Bummer!
Do yourself a favour and check your cables. That sounds like one cable is broken or there is something is wrong inside your receiver. You should have sound on all four channels even if it is stereo, it will just not be surround.

Do yourself a favour and check your cables. That sounds like one cable is broken or there is something is wrong inside your receiver. You should have sound on all four channels even if it is stereo, it will just not be surround.
Will do! When I played the AHM ; both VU's on the tape player showed output . On the receiver ; front left and right were showing output. This receiver has just been refurb'd by QRXrestore .

Ok. It's the head alignment on the tape deck. I did some fiddling on the DSOTM and got all four channels. Great!
The tape deck I was using just recently stopped working . So I changed it out today . Looks like I need to take the tape player in for adjustments and tuneup.

OK. I was almost suspecting the switches in your receiver as well. Not meant as a slight on QRXRestore, old contacts can be finicky. I wish they were closer to me as I would like my 7001 looked at as well. My FM mono only gives left channel lately and I am suspecting my tape inputs as well. I am not equipped to do a major work like that at home and my tech only does what is necessary, not restoration work.

OK. I was almost suspecting the switches in your receiver as well. Not meant as a slight on QRXRestore, old contacts can be finicky. I wish they were closer to me as I would like my 7001 looked at as well. My FM mono only gives left channel lately and I am suspecting my tape inputs as well. I am not equipped to do a major work like that at home and my tech only does what is necessary, not restoration work.
I drove up to Eugene and handed them the unit ( just to check out the shop). They shipped it back to me . Double boxed and lots of styrofoam . Cost me $56 U.S. for shipping and packaging. Not bad. Maybe try freight. Bonus was that when I was there , I noticed and very nice original box for a 9001. Talked them into selling it for $30 . Good luck on your 7001 That's what I was using before the 9001 .

Last edited:
Hi. All

Anybody is interested there is one here for sale, I see it has DBX NR. System...

( https://www.jauce.com/auction/416954836 )

i-img1200x1200-1568437204yahevq873305.jpg

i-img1200x1200-1568437205u6x7ar873305.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. All

Anybody is interested there is one here for sale, I see it has DBX NR. System...

( https://www.jauce.com/auction/416954836 )

View attachment 43217
View attachment 43218
If I find one here in the States in working order and for a great price ; I would buy it just for the four VU's ! I purchase hard to find Japanese media through Jauce (DSOTM 4 chan tape). They charge eight percent of what the item sells for (not including shipping , fee exchanges , etc) . And that can be very expensive , no less hardware (weight). Thanks for the heads up though.

Here's a pic and advert on the Sony better matrix record cassette player.
Yes, Sony briefly tried to make a bit of a thing about SQ capability on its reel-reel decks too (where it was referred to as "Uniphase".

Sony Uniphase

Something of a lame marketing gimmick which may have backfired if people realised that Sony's non Uniphase ( or non Symphase) offerings had such poor phase performance!

Back