We need a multi-channel analog to HDMI PCM converter!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already have an older AVR with multichannel inputs, but how do I use it with the same speaker setup (without manually re-connecting them) as any newer one I put in? I can't get Atmos or 4K video support on the older one!

Yes but as the evolution of AVRs has resulted in the loss of multichannel analog inputs, the evolution of multichannel players shows the parallel loss of multichannel analog outputs. Older players work well with older AVRs and modern players work well with modern AVRs.

As a practical matter, this simply means I have no interest at all in buying new equipment and, if necessary, will continue to have my old stuff repaired for as long as possible. I just haven't caught up with the whole disposable philosophy yet.

Yes but as the evolution of AVRs has resulted in the loss of multichannel analog inputs, the evolution of multichannel players shows the parallel loss of multichannel analog outputs.

Except that the Oppo UDP-203 I just got last month still has multichannel analog outputs. True that it outputs via HDMI just as well, but I should at least have the option to use them if I wanted to.

Older players work well with older AVRs and modern players work well with modern AVRs.

Except sometimes the older players do what I want them to do when the "modern players" don't. And where can I find a 4-channel 8-track or reel-to-reel tape player, or Quad decoder that "works well" with a modern AVR? True those might be a bit of 'niche' uses but that's just the type of market for an analog-to-HDMI adaptor if it's too much trouble to just include the right inputs on receivers anymore. And some would be willing to pay through the nose for it rather than not have it at all.

Except that the Oppo UDP-203 I just got last month still has multichannel analog outputs. True that it outputs via HDMI just as well, but I should at least have the option to use them if I wanted to.
One swallow does not make a Summer. One reason for Oppo's success is that they cater to our niche.

Except sometimes the older players do what I want them to do when the "modern players" don't. And where can I find a 4-channel 8-track or reel-to-reel tape player, or Quad decoder that "works well" with a modern AVR?
The items you refer to a more than just old. They are mostly abandoned technology. You either have to mate them with contemporary stuff or DIY.

True those might be a bit of 'niche' uses but that's just the type of market for an analog-to-HDMI adaptor if it's too much trouble to just include the right inputs on receivers anymore. And some would be willing to pay through the nose for it rather than not have it at all.
Yup. I use multichannel analog preamps of which all are long out of production with only a single exception. But is your niche large enough to justify someone's time and effort?

As a practical matter, this simply means I have no interest at all in buying new equipment and, if necessary, will continue to have my old stuff repaired for as long as possible. I just haven't caught up with the whole disposable philosophy yet.

Ain't that the truth. But, unfortunately, this is the world we live in. I try to hold onto my older equipment as long as I can but newer technologies dictate otherwise. I also have a large collection of OPEN REEL tapes (some QUAD) but really have NO desire to revisit that past as the newer remasters sound infinitely better. True, not all of my open reels have been remastered onto newer formats (especially the QUADS) but there are even newer open reel machines which cost a fortune (in the $8K~$15K range) which make those old reels sound better than ever compared to those Open Reel decks from the 70's and 80's........but at what price?

I just purchased a new UHD 4K SONY player for my bedroom and since the ONKYO receiver in my bedroom is old and does NOT pass 3D or 4K, I just hooked up one HDMI cable from the SONY to my receiver for AUDIO and the other HDMI cable DIRECTLY into my new OLED 4K TV for VIDEO and it works just fine. Since I'm not into Dolby Atmos, I will keep this receiver until it conks out. But even repairing older equipment can be ridiculously costly and sometimes it does pay to invest in newer equipment which will pass everything, but unfortunately, not analogue...unless you can find a new one that does.

Obsolescence is part of our society. The ONLY thing that is permanent IS change and I will say that I really don't miss my HUGE collection of Open Reels, laserdiscs, DVDs, etc as 2K, 4K and QUAD/5.1 remastered music sounds WAY, WAY better than those 'relics' of yesteryear.

And for those who choose to view their movies on iPhones, iPads or listen to their music via earbuds........That's YOUR problem and you have NO idea what you're missing out on. Ignorance is bliss? BULLS**T....and THE major reason that SACD/DVD~A, 3D TV ARE niche markets. The MAJOR movie/music conglomerates cater to the MASSES and really don't give a rat's ass about people who DO genuinely care about quality.....as we will always be in THE minority.

I got a chinese hdmi to analog converter on ebay for about $35; there has to be one that goes the other way...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Obsolescence is part of our society. The ONLY thing that is permanent IS change and I will say that I really don't miss my HUGE collection of Open Reels, laserdiscs, DVDs, etc as 2K, 4K and QUAD/5.1 remastered music sounds WAY, WAY better than those 'relics' of yesteryear.

I have always said that this (and probably NEXT) generation is going to be the ones that will have no MEMORY , be it photos, Audio, etc. cause they think that DIGITAL is the best...(shaking my head..) unless you PRINT those photos, they'll DISAPPEAR...and unless you GET THE DISCS (CDs, DVD, BDs, LPs, etc) your movies and music will NOT BE THERE ANYMORE!!!!

I got a chinese hdmi to analog converter on ebay for about $35; there has to be one that goes the other way...

I think I've seen those- they let you get multi-channel analog outputs from an HDMI input, that's why it shouldn't be too hard to make one that can instead take analog in and output PCM via HDMI (they already make ones that can do it for 2-channel sources.)

Since I'm a quad guy I would be looking at a 4 in audio interface that outputs to usb, and using a usb to HDMI adapter.

I did not find anything that outputs to HDMI without a computer in the mix

I'm in the process of developing a legacy multi system matrix decoder and have therefore looked into possibility of HDMI multi-channel audio. Indeed I've found all HDMI transmitter chips require a licence and NDA (we can thank Intel for this). However a possible solution could be the use of a Raspberry Pi processor board. Almost certainly the Raspberry Pi Zero would have the processing power to read a bunch of A2D convertors and pass on through the HDMI port.

I too scoured the internet for this "analog to HDMI" converter adapter. How can it be that the opposite direction adapter exists, and not vice-versa?

There are tons of used AVRs with analog MC inputs. Prices staggeringly low, feature rich units.

Just stick to used higher end Yamaha and Onkyo type boxes and you'll be fine.

HDMI is great for BR going to your TV, or computer to TV or an Oppo. But one should always have at least a couple of options.

What do the higher end MC DACs output, HDMI only? I would expect analog outs on a good DAC without exception. So analog in is not going to disappear completely (my guess).

For digital physical releases, rip them to files. Connect file source to modern AVR (w/HDMI). Problem solved.

For obsolete tech and its media,
1. Get a soundcard with multichannel analog in
2. Connect obsolete tech , play obsolete media, record to digital file
3. Connect file source to modern AVR (w/HDMI) .

as an alternative to 1 & 2, search the rivers and currents of the Internet , because it's likely someone else has already gone through these steps and generously made the results available

Has anyone found an answer to this yet. Specifically I want to take 8 channels (7.1) of recorded mesic I'm mixing from a Universal Audio Apollo audio interface with a DB-25 output and put it into a Trinnov preamp that has only HDMI inputs and will ingest and decode any sound format you can think of. For listening on this system it's HDMI out (audio only) from my OPPO into the Trinnov and all is well. But I have no multi-channel analog ins and if I could backwards DAC the Apollo analog outs into PCM on HDMI life would be good. Any thoughts?

Has anyone found an answer to this yet. Specifically I want to take 8 channels (7.1) of recorded mesic I'm mixing from a Universal Audio Apollo audio interface with a DB-25 output and put it into a Trinnov preamp that has only HDMI inputs and will ingest and decode any sound format you can think of. For listening on this system it's HDMI out (audio only) from my OPPO into the Trinnov and all is well. But I have no multi-channel analog ins and if I could backwards DAC the Apollo analog outs into PCM on HDMI life would be good. Any thoughts?
I have been looking too so I can take the output of my Bose 4401 quad preamp with the SQ and CD-4 decoders into an HDMI receiver input. But I gave up and bought a Marantz 7013 that has discreet inputs on it.
The vintage Bose preamp also has two phono inputs and two quad tape inputs with tape monitor loops so I can play my reel to reel and cassette and CD recorder thru it and have dubbing or recording to either. I can take my 4K Blue Ray and 4k output from my Dish Hopper 3 into the Marantz receiver directly
But I think the problem would be getting the HDMI input on the receiver to understand that it was getting a"discreet" 4 ch audio program and not something that was to be Dolby or DTS decoded?
But now I have to figure out how to derive a subwoofer signal from the 4 channels for the subwoofer input on the Marantz? But not sure how important getting a subwoofer signal from the rear channels would be.
Problems, problems, problems!!!?

Back