Help Needed: Akai AS-980 Quadraphonic receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m1keC

Last week I went mad at the local auction and bid and won a non-working Akai AS-980 quadraphonic receiver that was described as not working. I managed to find out what was wrong and fixed it so after de-ox'ing the controls (which seemed not to have been used for many years) it now works really well with stereo. However, I don't know how I can check to see if the quad sound works as I have no quad player or quad media. Is there any way I can test it, guys?
This AS-980 is a real beast - it's enormous and weighs in at over 20kg (that's about 45 pounds for any Americans reading this!) I hope some of you experts can give me ideas on proving the quad sound.

Try playing a stereo source through the rear channels, with the speakers hooked up to the rear outs. At least you'll know if the audio paths are good. Without 4 speakers it will be impossible to test any decoding

Yes, I had try that and it worked ok. It's the decoding that I was wanting to test. It does CD-4, SQ and discrete.

I believe the one I have is the AS-960. The decoders were pretty lame as I remember on mine. Where the Akai shines is on power and sound quality. I used mine as a back up with outboard decoders. I kept it as a back up but it lacked enough inputs for me and the tone controls only worked for one pair of speakers, the other pair were as is. There were some SQ and QS test signal wav files floating around QQ some time ago. You could burn them to CD and play through the decoders to see if you get acceptable results.

I saw “Help” and had an instant of fear roll over me, like something was truly important and someone needed urgent help.

I need to not takes things so seriously I know.

I saw “Help” and had an instant of fear roll over me, like something was truly important and someone needed urgent help.

I need to not takes things so seriously I know.

The title of the thread has now changed to reflect the help that is needed. Perhaps someone might have a manual as well. Thanks.

I can get sound on all 4 channels. Is it possible to get a copy of something coded for quad sound that I can feed in to test the decoder? I don't really know how quad works but clearly I can't feed in 4 channels but I presume the coding methods allow 2-channel to be decoded into 4?

So to the OP... if you can download those test tones to a PC and hook up your PC sound to a 2CH input on the receiver you can test the SQ decoder, even if you have to do it 2 speakers at a time.

You've pretty much already determined that the discrete mode is working.

But checking the CD-4 is going to be beyond your reach I fear.

Thanks, the SQ seems to work fine but I guess you are right about not finding a way to check on the CD-4

Back