Gong - "Love from Planet Gong" box set with unreleased "You" Quad mix.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is very disappointing.
On the same day as the box set's release, Universal are also releasing a 2-disc deluxe edition of "You", but instead of the Quad DVD being the 2nd disc in the set, they have instead chosen to include a live show from the box set instead, so that means that the only way to get the Quad mixes is to buy the box set.
Not good at all!

:mad:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/You-Gong/dp/B07WLBQQJX/

Deep Discount has recently run a few 15 percent off promotions which got the box down to about $89 delivered to the USA. Hopefully They run another sale soon...maybe for Labor Day?

On the same day as the box set's release, Universal are also releasing a 2-disc deluxe edition of "You", but instead of the Quad DVD being the 2nd disc in the set, they have instead chosen to include a live show from the box set instead, so that means that the only way to get the Quad mixes is to buy the box set.
Not good at all!

* Self edited- letā€™s just say ā€œCatch-22ā€

Last edited:
I chose Burning Shed . . . one of the cheaper ones, and best of all -- already paid 8').

[edit: I must have cancelled and used Amazon UK. Had to double-check that I didn't do a Gos! :eek:]

Last edited:
I am tempted by this but one thing giving me second thoughts is the info that the Quad mixes have been adapted to 5.1. The same thing was done with the Tubular Balls SACD and it wasn't good. In fact a redo without the centre and sub was/is available on a well known site. It was much better to these ears.

R E Faust

Not good at all!

No surprise, we have seen this many times by now. Only way to get the surround mix is to get the monster box. I will pass on this for now.

My Gong -extravaganza was shipped from the UK today!

It will have to wait until I digest ABBEY ROAD, though ;)
I thought I'd ordered mine from Burning Shed, but to my shame I'd ordered it from amazon.co.uk, and it'll cost me Ā£92.26, whereas if I'd done the right thing and ordered it from BS it would be Ā£89.99

I am tempted by this but one thing giving me second thoughts is the info that the Quad mixes have been adapted to 5.1. The same thing was done with the Tubular Balls SACD and it wasn't good. In fact a redo without the centre and sub was/is available on a well known site. It was much better to these ears.

R E Faust
Iā€™ve long ago installed toggle switches for both center & sub channels for quick muting without touching the player nor the receiver at all. They are applied at the + & - terminals on back of receiver, but accessible, and easy to see and reach.

So I never concern myself with those artificially created extra chans. I think Deep Purpleā€™s Stormbringer was the final straw that brought me to the electronics store to buy these toggles. That albumā€™s reissue (UK only) is said to have some of the more offensively created center / subs out there on a vintage quad mix adapted to 5.1 for modern playback.

A conference call I thought I had I didn't have! So I gave the Quad disc a blast - and it is good old Quad (with silent Centre & LFE added, EDIT: Disc is DTS 5.1.) The two mixes are different (quite discrete with some channel bouncing) and I prefer the Westlake one (so far!), the Upmix sounds great as well (obviously not quite as 'clear' sounding, but pretty discrete).
Pothead Pixie hats off to Simon Heyworth for everything! :dance

Its a shame all the rest of the studio albums weren't mixed into Quad or newly into 5.1 they deserve it :) - if you don't know Gong think of a 70s hippie version of the somewhat crazy Flaming Lips (and their surround discs).

gong_book-intro.jpg
you_quad-dvd.jpg

Last edited:
My Gong box arrived from Planet Gong a couple of days ago and its a superb set. The studio albums and live stuff are really nicely mastered and mixed, and are crystal clear.

And to agree with the comments above, the quad mixes are wonderful. Even the upmixed second half is great sounding, with a lot of discrete stuff going on.

Back