HiRez Poll Beatles, The - ABBEY ROAD (Dolby Atmos Mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - ABBEY ROAD (Dolby Atmos Mix)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on the 2019 Dolby Atmos mix of the classic Beatles album "Abbey Road", originally released in 1969.
The Dolby Atmos mix was created by Giles Martin & Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios and is included on Blu-Ray within the album's 50th anniversary box set.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/abbey-road-2019-mix/1474815798
Please note: This thread is strictly for reviews of the Dolby Atmos mix. To review the 5.1 surround mix, visit this link: HiRez Poll - Beatles, The - ABBEY ROAD (5.1 Surround Mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

A1v2EIWFqDL._SL1500_.jpg

81e4Ks5AM7L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I am really stunned by how good this sounds! Also it proved that it was the right time for me to upgrade my system to Dolby Atmos. The "normal" 5.1 on the BD sounds really good also i must say but there is something extra in the Atmos sound. I am hoping that this is an new start for surround sound to be recognized by more people.

I am a huge Atmos advocate if done in the right way. This release by Giles and the team is completely spellbinding. The love and professionalism on show here is truly fantastic. To reproduce an album, released 50 years ago, in a totally fresh and captivating way, is the pinnacle of how Atmos can be used to great effect.
I am absolutely one hundred percent happy with this release....no if's or buts!!

10 is not even close to my feelings, on how brilliant this is.

I voted, and here's why I made it a 10.

I upgraded to ATMOS this summer, and at first I was somewhat disappointed, as I really missed my wides (went from 7.2 to 5.2.4, which took a new AVR and an extra pair of speakers).

Why did I miss my wides? well, heights are normally thought of as not as good as wides, and on regular 7.2 I believe that to be true. AURO 2d can be used to simulate ATMOS, but it is just a simulation. What was missing was the true ATMOS mix, and there were slim pickings. KICK was nice but really conservative, Kraftwerk more interesting, but it was only when I spun REM's AftP ATMOS that I discovered I just might like ATMOS heights better than my former wides!

Then came yesterday and ABBEY ROAD. What a revelation!!! Buttery sound field oozing throughout the room -- the sweet spot was damn near everywhere, in that if you changed positions you heard a different mix that was just as thrilling. Synthesizers elegantly swooning from downside mid-room up to high back room. A lead guitar tantalizingly in front of you, coming from the center speaker, while around you another guitar would sneak in behind you and grab your attention, distinct, but never overwhelming the lead. Lennon in several places at once, making odd noises (never before had I noticed he had snuck in his infamous "primal screams" onto "Come Together"!).

And, as others have gushed, Paul's BASSSSSSS!!!! Can't wait to play this for some of my friends who asked why I had two big 12-inch subwoofers in the front corners. The floor danced!

Well, I could go on, but we'd all be repeating ourselves. I'll close by saying I'll have to recast my votes on Sgt. PEPPER'S and TWA. Now it would be:

PEPPER'S -- 7
TWA -- 9 (there's a clarity at times to it that you don't find in AR, because there are actually thin quiet moments, while AR is just a richer sounding album -- because it's 8 track?)
ABBEY ROAD -- 10 x 10!!! "Because" it has ATMOS and the other two don't!

Last edited:
I’ve listened to it at least three times now. I’d hesitated to purchase as initial reviews elsewhere were lukewarm. So it was a last minute purchase yesterday. Gave it a ‘10.’ The non-Atmos 5.1 is no slouch. But as someone else wrote, it’s like you’re sitting in the same room with Atmos (especially as compared to White Album 5.1). Pricey, but it’s worth it and the book adds significant value (I learned Billy Preston was laying down keyboards on Oh Darling! and I Want You just as I being born a couple of miles away — no wonder this record has always resonated!).

Got mine from bullmoose and the corner got banged up making the book have creases, but all i wanted was the music book second and im loving the atmos mix so far Def 10 :).

This is such an easy 10!

Truly incredible what Giles and Sam have done here, we have a new reference for how good The Beatles can sound in surround and it's magnificent. For me personally, none of the other surround mixes come close to this, not Love, Peppers, 1+ or The Beatles. Abbey Road in Atmos, my mind is blow.

I would vote here but I do NOT have an Atmos system. Please only vote in this thread if you actually have heard the Atmos decode.
I mean, I would LIKE to vote a 10 because I've heard the individual channels, all 8 of them, but I cannot honestly vote because I have not heard the real presentation.

Someday.............

This is such an easy 10!

Truly incredible what Giles and Sam have done here, we have a new reference for how good The Beatles can sound in surround and it's magnificent. For me personally, none of the other surround mixes come close to this, not Love, Peppers, 1+ or The Beatles. Abbey Road in Atmos, my mind is blow.
100 % agree. Want all the Beatles re done in Atmos now.

I would vote here but I do NOT have an Atmos system. Please only vote in this thread if you actually have heard the Atmos decode.
I mean, I would LIKE to vote a 10 because I've heard the individual channels, all 8 of them, but I cannot honestly vote because I have not heard the real presentation.

Someday.............
I thought I heard someone here was retiring soon; maybe then they'll have time to tackle that little project :whistle:
Oops, sorry, forgot this is a Poll - Please delete!!!

100 % agree. Want all the Beatles re done in Atmos now.

As Sam Okell reminds us partway through this Sound On Sound feature that @sjcorne posted in another thread: an Atmos mix of Pepper is in the can. (There were special auditions of it at a handful of venues around the country.) You gotta think they remixed the white album for Atmos, too. So what are they waiting for?
Like Jon, I would vote on the Atmos mix of Abbey Road if I could, but a) even the newer/better of my two AVR's will only do Atmos 5.1.2 and b) my friendly local installer is booked up until November 18th! I bought a pair of Episode 8" ceiling speakers today; they're patiently waiting for him (and hoping for a cancellation!).

I’ve now listened 3 times from start to finish and it’s a 10. Gets better each listen. Like a previous poster mentioned, moving seats give you a complete different feel for what’s going on.

I’m in a dedicated, fully treated soundproof room and this is just fantastic use of the Atmos platform.

voted 10. Just a spectacular application of Atmos towards a classic album...that is new enough that the fidelity is crystal clear. Punchy bass. Everything about the way this sounds just makes me happy. Damn....

I've yet to even listen to the DTS HD Master 5.1. Will I? Probably at some point....

Back