HiRez Poll Beatles, The - ABBEY ROAD (5.1 Surround Mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - ABBEY ROAD (5.1 Surround Mix)

• Total voters
Enjoying the third listen now and enjoying it more each time! I enjoyed both Sgt Peppers and TWA, but the fidelity is better on this. And the mx feels more discreet than TWA. Too bad they've run out of albums because Giles is getting better at this! And the material is, no doubt, better quality with the additional tracks to work with. Great to read all the comments here even if I don't always agree with some. Sharing it with my 19 year old twins right now. One of the first albums they've stayed in the room with me all the way through ... so far. A "10" from me for sure.

Unfortunately, Mean Mr. Mustard and Golden Slumbers have very little going on in the surrounds.

"Mean Mr. Mustard" actually does have some unique stuff in the rears - there's a guitar note that repeats in right rear and some tambourine in the left rear. The tambourine is audible in the fronts, but not the guitar. You can also hear isolated backing vocals ("such a mean old man", etc), but those are also fairly present in the front left and right as well. I think raising the rears (or dropping the fronts) around 3 dB really improves this track. This is the only instance on the album where I felt compelled to tweak the levels.

I vote 10. I had time to listen to the album twice all the way through without the wife being home. Once in 7.1 (not Atmos positioning) and once in 5.1. I will tell you that on my system, hands down the 5.1 is better. You can play it louder with no stridency. The 7.1 is mastered quite a bit louder. The center channel is just mixed too loud in the 7.1. The vocals are bit strident in parts and the John's guitar part in "The End" is just way over the top. I never have this issue with my center channel on anything I play (it's quite large with 2x x6.5 inch woofer and 1 x 1 inch tweeter). It's always quite natural. The 5.1 represents the album how I remember it with tasteful discrete surround and how I want to listen to it. So unless the Atmos dynamic positioning brings things up to a different level than the straight 7.1 the 5.1 is better on an ongoing basis. I obviously can't vote on the Atmos mix but the 7.1 core is not as good as the 5.1

The 5.1 mix of Abbey Road is excellent. I especially love how you can now clearly hear George Harrison’s lead vocal on Here Comes The Sun. As others have said, hands down the best surround sound mix of the “Anniversary Edition” campaign. Not only is the mix great, it also doesn’t sound as “hot” as the prior two.

I normally don't vote until listening to an album for several weeks or months. I will make an exception here.
This is the only Beatles bluray I have. I have always found the Beatles CDs to have to much high end emphasis for my taste. After several repeated listenings my ears are not aching and I still enjoy the music, which is what it is all about. I give it a 10.

Sadly, I don't have my ceiling speakers installed yet, so I will have to wait to hear the Atmos.

This is an absolute 10 for me. This is probably the ten of all tens. This one goes up to eleven. I LOVE this album. It's probably the most important album in my world, and I have listened to dozens of different versions, only to always return to the UK vinyl. To me this sounds like the UK vinyl, only bigger. And I mean that in the best of ways. I understand why some people are thinking of this as "wide stereo" because it so closely matches the aural nature of the stereo mix. In this instance that is a very good thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've heard some people say that this is where Giles finally got comfortable with mixing is surround. I'm not so sure that this album wasn't when George finally got comfortable mixing in stereo and that solid foundation is what this wonderful mix is built on. After all, The Beatles catalog is the most scrutinized material in the history of recorded music. Considerations have to be made in that light.

As much as I enjoyed TWA, I struggle with the way the sound of Paul's bass was "neutered" with all of the upper midrange growl gone. As I read reviews here, I worried that the bass might be artificially goosed up, like on the MFSL vinyl. I didn't find any of that. What I found were the same "colors" that I hear on the UK vinyl, just spread out over a larger soundscape. The bass isn't artificially large, it is properly large. If it sounds wildly different than your record did, I would put that to an issue with your vinyl playback system. Or maybe the bass now is just what I've actually heard in my head all along, I'm not sure. I just know it sounds right. This mix even has that same bit of hotness in the 1-2k range that the record always had, which I would have been tempted to tame but then someone would have complained the same way I did about TWA. 5.1 AR sounds like AR.

I found the rears to be wonderfully used right from the first notes. I'm not quite sure what is coming out of them on the opening riff of "Come Together" but I know it belongs there. Is it a discreet element from the multis or simply echo of what is happening in the front? What I do know is that it makes the riff HUGE. Much more so than if they had simply sent individual tracks to individual channels. It's huge, but it is also subtle. I can see why some folks missed it.

Similar decisions take place throughout the mix. The start on "Here Comes the Sun" is all hard left in homage to the album mix, but then the rear Moog decays left to right, adding a whole new depth of field to the sound without reinventing the wheel. In the medley, I was thrilled to hear strings in front, horns in rear. I honestly would have thought for sure that the orchestrations only existed in stereo or even just a single mono track given that they were working with only eight tracks at the time. Perhaps those bits were reconstructed from pre-mix tapes of just those elements, I'm not sure. What I am sure of is that it shows an absolute devotion to getting this right, one that leaves me perplexed at the comments of this sounding "rushed". On that note, to the people who are hoping for surround Revolver or Rubber Soul (and I am one of them), don't expect it to be better than this. For most of those tunes there simply aren't enough discreet elements to have it be better than this, especially if you are looking for lots of isolations. It's just not technically possible. This is as good as it will get for The Beatles catalog in surround.

Even as much as I love this, there are spots where you can hear the limitations imposed by the source material. I can't remember where, but on one tune Ringo's entire kit is right front. My strong suspicion is that it was recorded straight to a single track for that tune so there was no way to widen it naturally, but that is speculation on my part.

I think what they did here is AMAZING. That said, everyone has to pick a couple nits, even on a ten, so here goes. I wish there was a second or two longer pause between "I Want You" and "Here Comes the Sun". That record flip is part of my DNA and I think that even on the 2009 (IIRC) CDs that gap was wider. I found the quick segue slightly jarring. I also found Paul's vocal on SCITTBW to be a bit too loud. That's it. Those are my issues with the mix. One other nit is with the home screen. Once I figured out that you press up to get to setup rather than pressing right as it seems you should I was fine, but it made for a moment of frustration. I personally would prefer to not have auto-start, but I understand how it is helpful for those who don't engage their video while using surround sound. Lastly, there should not be a space between the h and the exclamation point in "Oh! Darling" and the "H" in "Heavy" should be capitalized. These are things that I wouldn't normally mention, but again this is the most scrutinized catalog in the history of recorded music, so far be it for me to not go ahead and pile on. :)

This immediately moves into the number one spot in my surround collection. My favorite album of all time in my favorite mix of all time.

Last edited:
I normally don't vote until listening to an album for several weeks or months. I will make an exception here.
This is the only Beatles bluray I have. I have always found the Beatles CDs to have to much high end emphasis for my taste. After several repeated listenings my ears are not aching and I still enjoy the music, which is what it is all about. I give it a 10.
I mentioned that in my review. I guess they did a great job of staying true to the original curve while tempering it just enough to keep it from being an ear bleed. I appreciate your observation.

An absolutely stunning presentation regarding the high quality hard covered book [of which I'm usually NOT a fan] and the recessed slots for the 3 RBCDs and BD~A and thankfully NO VINYL. The sturdy slipcase is a lovely touch, as well.

Voting less than a ten, IMO, would be criminal!

Many thanks to Giles, Sam Okell and the powers that be at UMG/CAPITOL for making this the biggest, brightest APPLE of them all and for making this landmark set COME TOGETHER!

See the source image

Last edited:
Hi fellow QQ'ers, AR here. I must say that I am flattered and deeply humbled by all the high marks you have given me over the last few days......Ummmm...oh wait...you mean those grades are actually for the AR album and not for me? Now I'm crushed! 🤣

Anyway, this 5.1 is a solid 10 across the board. Most impressive is the fidelity of this recording. It's not hot, there is no stridency (a la TWA) and the tonal balance is perfect. I played Come Together and Here Comes The Sun from the Love album right after this new Abbey Road thinking that the fidelity between the two albums would be a wash. The new Abbey Road has even better fidelity than Love which until now I considered the fidelity gold standard for Beatles albums.

I'm very happy with the surround mix...IMO, no need to screw around with rear channel volumes like I was inclined to do on Pepper and TWA.

One observation that @sjcorne has noted is the clarity of the vocals coming out of the center channel. They are so clear compared to the originals that I find them unnerving and actually turn down the center channel a tad...perhaps 2dB at most. (I wonder how this mix would sound if my center speaker was identical to the fronts? I may need to find a rogue 130 pound AR9 loudspeaker around out there.)

The bass on...Sun King...OMG. I have the subwoofer channel routed to the front three speakers and the two surrounds. That's five 12" woofers and four 10" woofers. This track identified certain things in the room that need to be battened down that I hadn't noticed before...or maybe it was just my brain rattling around in my head. ;)

Last edited:
First off, this is about as perfect a "box set" physically as you can get. It's LP sized, the box is sturdy and well constructed. The book slides out easily and is beautifully constructed with a strong binding and the photos and text are on quality paper that will not deteriorate after reading, or repeated reading. The 4 discs are secure in the inside covers of the book and in their own sleeves with original and alternate Abbey Road cover glossy photos, and the discs themselves have the classic green apple label on the two album discs, and the cut apple on the 2 extra tracks discs. And to top it all off, no marbles or scarves!

Overall, I don't think there's a better configuration out there that they could have used for this release. It's a shame that the Sgt. Pepper and White Album boxes were not like this one.

Onto the 5.1 mix. Well, if the past Beatles releases other than "Love" left us frustrated and annoyed at what could have been (1+, Sgt. Pepper), you could not help think about just how they would treat this final Beatles album, the one that was made on the most modern (at the time) equipment with the most audio tracks available in the studio. Would we get the cringe worthy "homage to the stereo mix" or would we possibly get something special?

When I first fired it up in my big room (and figured out that it was playing in stereo), I got it to DTS-Master Audio and listened and wasn't quite sure if my back speakers were working! Not a good sign. I then turned up the volume. NICE! As I went through the album song by song, an album that I loved and played to death in the past but haven't played in years due to burn-out, I started hearing stuff clearer and cleaner than I had remembered. Instruments and voices were more defined and detailed and exposed to the point at times when I did not expect to hear what I heard. Instead of every vocal being in the front, backgrounds were in the back, and things like the moog was in the back when it made sense "he sneaks up from behind...". Someone who made the mix GOT IT! It's a no brainer to put Sun King's crickets in the backs, but in this mix, there is important stuff back there. To me, that's the sign of a good mix. If you can kill the rears and miss stuff, then it's a good mix. If you kill the rears and everything's still there in the fronts, what's the point? And we all know there are surround mixes that do just that.

The "Surround is a gimmick" folks will point to the "Her Majesty" walk around the room, but if you recall the original stereo mix went across the front speakers, so this is merely an extension of that walk. So fuck them! :)

Needless to say, this is a 10. I am not going to get into the mix on each song, that's something others can do. All I will say is that I am glad I lived long enough to hear this, but I am saddened that other fans did not. I think of Ed Bishop, who I never met but knew from SHF and was made an honorary Mod here. He wanted so badly to hear the 5.1 White Album but apparently his bout with cancer did not allow that to happen, but I know he would have loved to hear Abbey Road as well. I think of Cai Campbell and the many other quad guys that are no longer here. One day I won't be here, and one day you won't either, but that's all part of the plan, so it goes. The main thing is that when things like this finally come out, no matter how great they are, I always think to myself "It's about time". Where has this been?

This music is part of my memory storage and like many other albums I've heard too many times, I really can't listen to some of it the same way I listened in 1970 or even 1980/90. I was listening to the bonus cuts and tracks and at one time I would have cherished them but today I just sorta cruised through them, jumping around listening to bits here and there because I did not want to increase the burn out as I wanted to save the listening time to the surround mix.

Oh well. Maybe the surround folks will start issuing new albums that we haven't heard so many times and we can really enjoy them.

So, yes, it's a 10. Get it if you can afford it. It's worth it. It's great. It's a winner. And "That's all Folks!"
I only voted 9 because I didn't like Abbey as much as the White Album but I totally get what you're saying about those no longer with us. I think of so many friends I would have loved to play this for, now deceased along with all my family that I loved so much. ...and yes x100 on Her Majesty...would be great to set speaker room balances to. Lovely release, 50 years is too long a wait but better late than never.

The bass on...Sun King...OMG. I have the subwoofer channel routed to the front three speakers and the two surrounds. That's five 12" woofers and four 10" woofers. This track identified certain things in the room that need to be battened down that I hadn't noticed before...or maybe it was just my brain rattling around in my head. ;)
[/QUOTE]

Amen on the bass......Sun KIng, Come Together... and others.
I did the same thing and routed the bass to the 4 corners {not the center though),,,partly cause I haven't broke down and bought a sub yet, but mostly because my fronts are 15" and the rears 16" and haven't felt the need. When the wife stepped out the other day I cranked it well over half way. Whoa! I hadn't done that since the days when "Money for Nothing" first came out....It was freakin fantastic!
My chest is still vibrating....so clear
I Love TWA, but this one goes well past it...... Nothing but

Good God almighty.

"Here Comes The Sun King" is like floating up to heaven. The Leslie guitar sounds like a bowl of ripe cherries. The vocals are absolutely mesmerizing.

And that's just one song!

How could they possibly improve on one of the greatest albums ever made? This is how.

I can't believe how friggin great this is.

Good God almighty.

"Here Comes The Sun King" is like floating up to heaven. The Leslie guitar sounds like a bowl of ripe cherries. The vocals are absolutely mesmerizing.

And that's just one song!

How could they possibly improve on one of the greatest albums ever made? This is how.

I can't believe how friggin great this is.
That's two songs, "Here comes the Sun/Sun King" hee hee, I know what you mean though, Sun King is ethereal, I really whacked the volume for that one.

Back