Comments Inspired by Beatles, The - ABBEY ROAD (5.1 Surround Mix) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO!!! Because work is madness these days. I only listened the day I got it..been on the road ever since!! Great idea though. I’ll check things out this weekend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s a bummer, Gene. I’m happily retired now for almost 3 years, but I hate leaving the house for any extended period of time because it means I’m away from my system and tunes. Being on the road for work is 100 times worse!!! Hang in there.

I voted 10. This new surround release is pure bliss. I listened to a ripped Japanese Blu Ray in 5.1 DTS HD at 75db. Software for ripping was MKV and MMH, both worked flawlessly. PC Intel NUC, Player JRiver with lyrics, HDMI out to ExaSound38 MCH DAC, analog separates out to AV receiver. Poweramps are 400 watts FL and FR, 300 watts Rears and center. No distractions.
To think that Giles Martin did not add anything, but took what was there buried and opened the sound completely up. So cool to hear things better and in a different way. Someone above me said I wish Ringo's drums would go on, I agree, never really realized it before but Ringo is quite the star of the show.
3 albums now in Surround by The Beatles is more than I hoped for a few years ago. I voted 10 on all.

I think you meant usb. HDMI isn't an option on your multichannel dac...

You lost me on your last sentence where you compared all releases.

I have been living with this music in my car all week. Let me just say that I grew up a huge Beatles fan, even into the 2000's I bought everything they did solo and reissued and through the 70s and 80s still played them a lot. Lately I haven't given them much playtime as I've heard this stuff too too much. Excepting the Love DVD-A, the reissues of Sgt Pepper and TWA got some play from me just to hear the mix and all, but honestly I pretty much stashed them away a few weeks after they were released. They're great and all, but I just can't listen to the music and enjoy it because I've already done it too many times over the past 50 years.

HOWEVER, this Abbey Road 5.1 mix is just so good that I keep playing it. I mean, "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is so freaking good I keep playing it over in the car. And "Sun King", wow, a throw away tune now is a go to tune. I mean sure, I still pretty much skip over "Maxwell" and "Octopus" because how many times can you listen to those, but "Come Together" in the car is sublime. And has there ever been a better ending volley to a record album? From the build up to "The End", then after silence "Her Majesty". Wow. Hard to top that.

I think that the mix and the music on this BluRay might be my favorite 5.1 mix of all time. With regard to classic album re-releases, this one is almost certainly it.

Pardon me while I cue up "Sun King" again.............. ;)

I'm so glad you like this one so much Jon, I think it's great as well...but I'll tell you what would blow it outta the water...wait for it.....PAST MASTERS

Well, still only 1 vote for a 7.
Perhaps it may convince the voter to actually listen to the album ;)
Well as hard as it is to fathom, some folks I guess just aren't Beatles fans; but unless they post their reasoning for their vote, I guess we'll never know.
Let's see: cat puked on their lap while listening; mother in law just showed up; bad acid trip; cheap speakers blew with all that fabulous bass activity...
:hi

I think for these polls, someone should apply the principles of statistics.
Outliers are always thrown out as statiscally insignificant.
A nice way of saying irrelevent.
Look, I have no problem with people stating their opinion, I mean that's 1 reason we're all here.
But this is the internet & when doing a poll, you should account for the obvious variance.
But, I can also understand not wanting to bother :)

Last edited:
Look, I have no problem with people stating their opinion, I mean that's 1 reason we're all here.
But this is the internet & when doing a poll, you should account for the obvious variance.
But, I can also understand not wanting to bother :)

There is already an algorithm built into the polls here that throws out outliers.

If you don't like the Beatles......not sure if you should be voting. And, if you don't like the Beatles, why the hell would you even buy this??

I absolutely agree milt; and with enough votes there should never be a perfect 10, that's life.

Sounds right to me also Gene, but a 7 isn't really that bad, I mean it's not a 1 or 2; we just don't know why. An explanation is not required, I'm just saying it would be great to have more info.

I think Milt does have a point here, as much as I like this new release and I think it is great,
we can sometimes forget just how good and better some of the earlier quad and multichannel mixes were.
.Like 7 Bridges road or Hotel California from Hell feezes over in 5.1,or Papa was a rolling stone from the temptations all directions cd-4..or "love song"(tumbleweed connection) or "Funeral for a friend" By Elton John in 5.1 ,The quad mix of Money by Pink Floyd,the quad mix of the doors riders on the storm and something even as easy listening as "Nini Rosso - Russian Folk Songs" on CD4 lp, the orchestra spread on that is so damn good, it runs rings around anything Giles has ever done.

It also begs the question on mixes,whether we want something in all speakers all the time, or are we happy having dead channels, that come to life from time to time.

Last edited:
Played it 3 times.At first I thought the surround was a little weak at times,but I choose the Atmos track and got True HD 7.1 on my setup,and it was much better.Was never a fan back in the days,but I've learned to like their music in later years.
Abbey Road are for me their best album.For value I think the TD box is better.3 albums in 5.1 and lots of CD's .
Gave it a 9 based on the True HD 7.1 mix.
I actually like the 5.1 better than the 7.1 True HD on the disc. On my System anyway. Movie soundtracks sound fantastic in 7.1. However, I did up the ante on the 5.1 mix by using Audacity and duplicating the rear channels into the back channels to create 7.1 from 5.1. This makes the 5.1 more wrap around and to me sounds the best of all of them.

Regarding TD, Abbey Road is quality not quantity and it doesn't put me to sleep.;)

Last edited:
Back