Backup your music files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50a6e1bb05ddc0f5d0832c67f06e9e34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK - forget my post below. Geez......
Figured it out..on to the next step.

I hate computers...LOL!

So, I stuck in the 3 drives, plugged directly to my router, turned on....after about a minute, all 3 drives show green light on NAS (good) and for the last hour, the status is blinking gold.

I don't know if it's trying to do something...or what. Either way, I cannot see the NAS on my network. I assumed I would simply open Synology Assistant and it would show my old NAS (which it does) and I thought it would then show my new NAS (which it doesn't)

Last edited:
It would be good practice to have a backup in addition to your RAID 5. Redundancy and backups are not the same thing. Especially in this currrent age of large drives. If you lose a drive, that's a lot of rebuilding that needs to be done to bring the RAID back to a healthy state, and a lot of opportunity for an error to occur. And if the resync goes wrong, or another drive has a problem during that down time, that's a HUGE amount of data to potentially lose.

I'm currently running a RAID5 with 3 8TB drives that I built with some old parts from an old PC using openmediavault. I periodically sync it to an external 8TB drive (I've not gone over 8TB of storage yet, so that works for now, but I'll need to get a larger drive, or split the backup to multiple externals, at some point)

At this point, I think RAID5 isn't all that recommended. And RAID6 may even become dated.

Here's an article that goes into the problems/risk of RAID5 and RAID6 as drives get larger - https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/

And here's an article that argues they are still fine - https://www.high-rely.com/2019/09/12/why-raid5-and-raid6-still-work-in-2019-and-beyond/

But even the article in defense of RAID5 and 6 still stresses the importance of backups.

It would be good practice to have a backup in addition to your RAID 5. Redundancy and backups are not the same thing. Especially in this currrent age of large drives. If you lose a drive, that's a lot of rebuilding that needs to be done to bring the RAID back to a healthy state, and a lot of opportunity for an error to occur. And if the resync goes wrong, or another drive has a problem during that down time, that's a HUGE amount of data to potentially lose.

I'm currently running a RAID5 with 3 8TB drives that I built with some old parts from an old PC using openmediavault. I periodically sync it to an external 8TB drive (I've not gone over 8TB of storage yet, so that works for now, but I'll need to get a larger drive, or split the backup to multiple externals, at some point)

At this point, I think RAID5 isn't all that recommended. And RAID6 may even become dated.

Here's an article that goes into the problems/risk of RAID5 and RAID6 as drives get larger - https://www.zdnet.com/article/why-raid-6-stops-working-in-2019/

And here's an article that argues they are still fine - https://www.high-rely.com/2019/09/12/why-raid5-and-raid6-still-work-in-2019-and-beyond/

But even the article in defense of RAID5 and 6 still stresses the importance of backups.
Yeah, I will have a backup too. I guess I have a couple options. I have a standalone 8TB drive (non NAS type) that I can use and I guess since I bought the new system, I can use my old NAS, which has two 4TB drives......

Well it seems its been NAS day! I got off my lazy backside and have set up my DS218+ 2x4TB NAS, the DS418Display 4x10TB can wait a few more days. Tomorrow I'll transfer data from the Zyxel 2x1TB (the Zyxel tends to crash, HDDs are OK) to the 4TB box, then I'll take out the 1TB discs and put them in the DS216j I've had sitting around for even longer and re-load that - it'll be the one that gets 'hammered' the most until the 1TB HDDs fail.

Well it seems its been NAS day! I got off my lazy backside and have set up my DS218+ 2x4TB NAS, the DS418Display 4x10TB can wait a few more days. Tomorrow I'll transfer data from the Zyxel 2x1TB (the Zyxel tends to crash, HDDs are OK) to the 4TB box, then I'll take out the 1TB discs and put them in the DS216j I've had sitting around for even longer and re-load that

So, you not only collect MCH Music, you also collect NASs!

Gene, the easiest way to copy all your old files maybe to connect both new and old NAS to you network but only if you are using 1GBE ethernet. You should be able to get over 100MB per sec.

When you connect your new NAS you will need to map a new network drive in Windows Explorer (File Explorer not Internet Explorer) so you can copy.

Alternatively you could copy off your old backup drive in Synology web interface and USB interface.

Either way your new NAS will have a new IP Address and new Mapped Drive(s) so anything you connect, like Foobar will need to connect to the new drive. Example, if you have set a NAS folder as Foobars library folder you’ll have to change that setting to the new NAS/mapped drive.

Also, you need to set the new NAS to have a Static IP Address so it will always use the same IP. If not when it’s off and another device connects to your router the new device may get the IP used by the NAS, when your NAS is turned on again it will then get another a new IP then all your predefined links to the NAS won’t work. This probably happened with your first NAS. (You couldn’t play your music from Foobar on your NAS, I think).

You also need to Reserve the NAS IP Address in your router fand set the NAS there to have a Static IP Address. Most modern routers have a checkbox or some easy method to select a device connected to it and change/set it to use a Static IP.

If you’re unsure Google:
[Your Router Manufacturer Model No] How to set Static IP Address

Reactions: GOS
After you’ve created the SHR it will take ages (a few hours) to do a parity check. I recommend you let it complete that before starting to use the NAS.

Once parity check is complete you can create Volumes from the 16TB and copy your old data from your old NAS or from backup drives. Copy will take a while to as you already know.

You can make as many Volumes as you want, e.g. 4 x 4TB (but you need at least 1) they will appear as separate drives (but really they are distributed across all 3 of your 8TB discs).

The only advantage of having more volumes is backup. Since your backup drives are probably 4TB you can easily backup one single 4TB Volume to one 4TB backup drive. If you have a single 16TB volume trying to run a backup to many individual smaller backup drives is painful (what goes on which disk, and will it fit?)

How to Create Multiple Volumes:

I watched both videos, obviously I went ahead and did the initial setup (where I had to select Raid 5) and it ran all day yesterday doing the parity check)
I totally do not understand the 2nd video. Making volumes. Currently, during initial setup, it made just Volume 1. Do I need to concern myself with this, or is 1 volume OK? What is best? I haven't begun moving my music over to the 918 yet.

In my 'excitement' yesterday when I set up my DS218+ I forgot to make a note of the admin password I'd given it! o_O so I'm going to have to do a factory reset or I won't have the control access I want, I have ordered a 4GB DDR upgrade which should arrive tomorrow so I'll do I then.

Back