Backup your music files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched both videos, obviously I went ahead and did the initial setup (where I had to select Raid 5) and it ran all day yesterday doing the parity check)
I totally do not understand the 2nd video. Making volumes. Currently, during initial setup, it made just Volume 1. Do I need to concern myself with this, or is 1 volume OK? What is best? I haven't begun moving my music over to the 918 yet.
Forget that question. I went ahead and left as is, and started moving files onto the 918.

Forget that question. I went ahead and left as is, and started moving files onto the 918.

It’s going to be very painful once your data size > backup disc size:

I wrote this a couple days ago:

You can make as many Volumes as you want, e.g. 4 x 4TB (but you need at least 1) they will appear as separate drives (but really they are distributed across all 3 of your 8TB discs).

The only advantage of having more volumes is backup. Since your backup drives are probably 4TB you can easily backup one single 4TB Volume to one 4TB backup drive. If you have a single 16TB volume trying to run a backup to many individual smaller backup drives is painful (what goes on which disk, and will it fit?)

Reactions: GOS
In my 'excitement' yesterday when I set up my DS218+ I forgot to make a note of the admin password I'd given it! o_O so I'm going to have to do a factory reset or I won't have the control access I want, I have ordered a 4GB DDR upgrade which should arrive tomorrow so I'll do I then.

You won’t have to do a Parity Check again. Once any disc has been parity checked on any Synology NAS it can be reused again in any Synology NAS without another parity check.

It’s going to be very painful once your data size > backup disc size:

I wrote this a couple days ago:

You can make as many Volumes as you want, e.g. 4 x 4TB (but you need at least 1) they will appear as separate drives (but really they are distributed across all 3 of your 8TB discs).

The only advantage of having more volumes is backup. Since your backup drives are probably 4TB you can easily backup one single 4TB Volume to one 4TB backup drive. If you have a single 16TB volume trying to run a backup to many individual smaller backup drives is painful (what goes on which disk, and will it fit?)
Yikes...OK. Sorry Garry, it's all hard for me to follow. Sort of like learning a foreign language. What would be best? I currently have an 8TB usb drive that can serve as a single backup. I seriously doubt I will ever get to much more than 5TB of music. There is simply not enough music going forward that I will feel like ripping. I don't do movies.......

You may be ok then.

I guess you can just use your existing drive until (if) you fill your backup drive.

Are you ripping your concert blu-rays as well as audio only discs? HD video eats disc space.

For music: I have about 4TB of audio only (nearly all MCH, a bit of stereo), just over 5TB of Music Video/concerts and about 8TB, maybe more, of my ISO disc backups. Theres also maybe 1TB of PC backups.

You may be ok then.

I guess you can just use your existing drive until (if) you fill your backup drive.

Are you ripping your concert blu-rays as well as audio only discs? HD video eats disc space.

For music: I have about 4TB of audio only (nearly all MCH, a bit of stereo), just over 5TB of Music Video/concerts and about 8TB, maybe more, of my ISO disc backups. Theres also maybe 1TB of PC backups.
I only rip my very favorite concert blus. Honestly, 99 percent of my space is dedicated to multichannel music.

Speaking of backing up....I'm trying to rip an SACD and I got this message. Yes, I've been doing this same process for a couple years and never seen this message. What-up? I have the iso loaded in foobar, go to convert (like I have done at least 500 times) and now I, for the first time get this message.

1571226548573.png

BUMP! LOL...
I had hoped if I went to work, came home, uninstalled my Foobar component "foo_input_sacd" and reinstalled, it might work. Nope.
I have absolutely no clue why all a sudden I'm getting this sort of message...

Speaking of backing up....I'm trying to rip an SACD and I got this message. Yes, I've been doing this same process for a couple years and never seen this message. What-up? I have the iso loaded in foobar, go to convert (like I have done at least 500 times) and now I, for the first time get this message.

View attachment 43564

Well, as often happens with Mr. GOS......I bumbled around and figured it out. :)
I had downloaded the newest BETA version of Foobar (though, I did that several weeks ago...), so I went back and overwrote it with the latest "stable" version and now all is back to normal. Geez....

It wouldn't be a great day if I didn't have some weirdness, that I basically cannot explain. So, I use my Amazon Cloud as a backup for some critical music titles that are also on my NAS.

Every once in a while, the resulting product on the cloud "seems" to be in a format that is not the same as when I uploaded.

Here is a typical flac file that plays normally through Foobar direct from my NAS.

1577638999559.png

So, I upload all the songs from that title, and once in Amazon Cloud, they do lose the typical foobar/flac icon, but all look like this....

1577639137541.png

Now, just for fun, I download the songs to a desktop folder (paranoia) and try to play in Foobar. Only, 8 of the songs as they are downloading, show the typical Foobar icon, and will play in Foobar normally. I notice 1 of the songs downloads with a different icon. Sort of looks like a blinking hard drive. When I then focus on that 1 song, I check properties and sure enough.....it is different and not recognized by Foobar. See below...

1577639372550.png

Does anyone else ever have this happen? Does anyone know what might be going wrong and how to avoid it? Again, that same song that downloads incorrectly from Amazon Cloud plays normally when derived from my NAS. :unsure:

I just had an epiphany!!!! I was staring at the titles of all the songs and the problematic song has a "comma" as part of the name. I bet that's it!!! I'm going to edit the song title and try it again.

That worked! Geez. So odd that Foobar can play it just fine, but when uploading/downloading from Amazon Cloud, the comma trips it up. Hmmm
:unsure: I wonder if the ASCII code for a comma is changed when it loads onto amazon so from standard ASCII to extended so for some reason changes from ASCII 44 (comma) to ASCII 130 (low quotation mark)? A wee bit nerdy 🤪 I know! but they look the same on the screen

One thing I've learned in sharing mixes in progress with clients and so forth is to avoid any and all special characters in file names! Between the number of people using Windows OS, phones, and so on...
A comma though?!

Yeah, cloud accounts are a great convenience for sharing. Do not under any circumstances trust them for an actual backup!

No arguments at all for getting fancy with NAS, raid configs, and all that! :)

Simple:
Use USB connected externals for backup volumes.
Keep your drives 1:1 with primary:backup! So you can clone entire volumes. Manual curating leads to missing something and losing something!
Get a cloning app!! (I like Carbon Copy Cloner)
Clone every drive volume to it's backup volume. Especially your system drive! Cloning copies the whole volume including the cryptic OS files.

This also leads to computer screwup and recovery for dummies. :D
Gonna try something?
First make sure your backup clone for your system drive is current.
OK, install whatever you were after.
Everything is broken now?
Boot from the clone. Clone it back to the primary. Reboot from your primary again. Magic "reset" that takes 3 minutes. (Only new/modified files are copied when you clone.)
You don't actually have to figure out what you did or how to undo it.

Next level:
Use the cloning app to make a disk image file of your system drive. (It's a feature.) Save that image file as a master backup. It's your "installer file" for your personal system if you will. Now you can recover when you accidentally overwrite your backup clone with something bad.

Back