Great new reviews for Dutton Vocalion Quad SACDs!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bravo! 🤩 Quad's rebirth is in full swing!💃 do you happen to know if Mr. Dave Thompson is a member of QQ already?
This comment sums it up nicely:

As business plans go, reissuing 70s quad on SACD has to be one of the most bizarre in recent music industry history. But you know what? It might well be the smartest thing anyone’s done in years.

This comment sums it up nicely:

As business plans go, reissuing 70s quad on SACD has to be one of the most bizarre in recent music industry history. But you know what? It might well be the smartest thing anyone’s done in years.

I’ve been saying for awhile that our small niche will soon be one of the few niches left for people still interested in physical media.

It certainly seems that D/V has found whatever extra cost is involved in including the quad mixes is recouped in sales.

And we are all fine with simple packaging especially if it helps to keep the cost and price down.

Hopefully Rhino and some other labels will figure this out soon as well?

I’ve been saying for awhile that our small niche will soon be one of the few niches left for people still interested in physical media.

It certainly seems that D/V has found whatever extra cost is involved in including the quad mixes is recouped in sales.

And we are all fine with simple packaging especially if it helps to keep the cost and price down.

Hopefully Rhino and some other labels will figure this out soon as well?
I am a big fan of the dv "model". It's all about the music and surround mix for me.

Last edited:
A fabulous and much deserved rave review from the esteemed Goldmine Magazine......and perhaps it just may be one of many .........IMO, D~V has struck gold by reissuing these former Columbia Masterworks and RCA Red Seal QUAD masters to state of the art multichannel hybrid SACD!
And they did say 4 ears are better than 1.

Is the Dutton reissue different than this earlier Sony?

yes, the Multichannel on the old Sony disc was repurposed (not very effectively imho) from the Quad into a 5.1 mix.
the new Dutton Vocalion release uses the original analogue tapes and the resultant surround sound is much more faithful to the Quad mix and superior to the old SACD.

In case you missed them, two more Dutton reviews from Goldmine. I can't believe a "mainstream" rock magazine is covering classical quad, even if it is only on the website.

https://www.goldminemag.com/blogs/c...-conducts-stravinsky-alexander-nevsky-in-quad

I just finished listening to the Boulez disc. We don’t have too many polls for classical discs here, but this one is outstanding and deserves mention.

Two albums of Boulez conducting Stravinsky—one from 1972 and another from 1977. Both are fantastic. The quad mixes are excellent. And Dutton’s mastering is, as usual, a “10”. And the two-for-one value is more than we should even be asking for.

Stravinsky, of course, isn’t for everyone. But this disc is demo-quality. You want to show off multi-channel to your classical loving friends? Good place to start.

This was my first purchase of one of DV’s “classic” Epoch releases.

I will be buying them all.

Has anybody seen these? More Dutton reviews on the Goldmine website... I'm certainly going to check out the Cecile Chamanade.

https://www.goldminemag.com/blogs/c...cecile-chamanade-callirhoe-ballet-symphonique
https://www.goldminemag.com/blogs/reviews-walter-braunfels-john-alden-carpenter
Cecile Chaminade has been one of the big discoveries of the past few years - I really like her music. Too often female composers are put forward and the results are underwhelming (listen to Clara Schumann's piano concerto next to her husband's and the reason for her piece's obscurity is fairly obvious), but Chaminade had a lot to say and the technique to back it up.

I just finished listening to the Boulez disc. We don’t have too many polls for classical discs here, but this one is outstanding and deserves mention.

Two albums of Boulez conducting Stravinsky—one from 1972 and another from 1977. Both are fantastic. The quad mixes are excellent. And Dutton’s mastering is, as usual, a “10”. And the two-for-one value is more than we should even be asking for.

Stravinsky, of course, isn’t for everyone. But this disc is demo-quality. You want to show off multi-channel to your classical loving friends? Good place to start.

This was my first purchase of one of DV’s “classic” Epoch releases.

I will be buying them all.
Boulez was almost certainly the conductor of the first rank who most saw quad's potential. His background was as an avant-garde composer, and the idea of multiple speakers was hardly unusual to him. And Andrew Kazdin was doing really interesting stuff in mixing his recordings with Boulez as an active collaboration. Let's get the rest of his recordings released...

Boulez was almost certainly the conductor of the first rank who most saw quad's potential. His background was as an avant-garde composer, and the idea of multiple speakers was hardly unusual to him. And Andrew Kazdin was doing really interesting stuff in mixing his recordings with Boulez as an active collaboration. Let's get the rest of his recordings released...
Hear hear!

Even those who aren’t classical fans should pick up this disc. A must have for any quad/surround fan, IMO.

Back