Requesting Updates for the Popular Quad Discography

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a few Japanese ones:

R4J-7025 Simons 'Wind Breeze' / Japanese: シモンズ ‎ '風はそよかぜ'
r4j-7025-simons_wind_breeze-LP-1.jpgr4j-7025-simons_wind_breeze-LP-2.jpgr4j-7025-simons_wind_breeze-LP-3.jpgr4j-7025-simons_wind_breeze-LP-4.jpg
There's a discogs entry for this title here, and I posted pictures of the Q8 version here.

R4J-7114 Hiroshi Uchiyamada and Cool Five 'Showa Song History (First Volume)' / Japanese: 内山田洋とクールファイブ '昭和の歌謡史(上巻)'
r4j-7114-1.jpgr4j-7114-2.jpg

R4J-7115 Hiroshi Uchiyamada and Cool Five 'Showa Song History (Second Volume)' / Japanese: 内山田洋とクールファイブ '昭和の歌謡史(下巻)'
r4j-7115-1.jpg

It seems like some of the ABC GRT tapes have more than one catalog number, because it appears that ABC swallowed up some smaller labels and then reissued the tapes on their own labels. Case(s) in point:

Love Story (Original Soundtrack)

Original release on Paramount Records: 7091-6002 H
Reissued version on ABC Records: 7022-6002 H
View attachment 37871

Roy Clark 'Roy Clark's Family Album'

Original release on DOT Records: C 7150-26018
Reissue on ABC Dot: 7310-26018 H

View attachment 37872

It's likely that some of the other Dot titles (Roy Clark, Donna Fargo) and Paramount (Billy Vaughn) may have similar variants, but these are the two I happened to notice.

QA-6-Y Victor Silvester Strings 'Quadraphonic Home Concert De Luxe'
View attachment 37873

This appears to be a Japan-only Pye release, and it also explains where track A4 on the UK Pye Quadraphonic Sampler (QUAB 1001) came from.
I noticed the paramount Q8's today. Love story and Billy Vaughn, I will check for others. Thanks for bringing those to my attention.

And a few Japanese ones:

R4J-7025 Simons 'Wind Breeze' / Japanese: シモンズ ‎ '風はそよかぜ'
View attachment 37874View attachment 37875View attachment 37876View attachment 37877
There's a discogs entry for this title here, and I posted pictures of the Q8 version here.

R4J-7114 Hiroshi Uchiyamada and Cool Five 'Showa Song History (First Volume)' / Japanese: 内山田洋とクールファイブ '昭和の歌謡史(上巻)'
View attachment 37879View attachment 37880

R4J-7115 Hiroshi Uchiyamada and Cool Five 'Showa Song History (Second Volume)' / Japanese: 内山田洋とクールファイブ '昭和の歌謡史(下巻)'
View attachment 37881
Funny the timing of things. I am working on the Asian discography today and should have something to review by next week. I appreciate the post.

Yes, we consider that a pirate recording as well as the others on discogs. The claim is made that they would pay copyright fees to the owners of the work but who knows if that ever happened. Sound Values did release some non-pirate recordings as they had some artist that were only published on there label. Check the popular list for those.
Bootlegs are unreleased recordings of a concert or studio work, pirates are copies of released work

I'd be interested to know if the yellow cartridge Ampex version of L.A. Midnight is the same quad mix as the blue/white GRT version - I know that in at least one other instance (John Lee Hooker's Never Get out of These Blues Alive) the Ampex version is different.

My edumacated guess is that (at least with the Hooker album) the original issue was Q8 only on Ampex, and then later on when ABC moved their tape licensing to GRT, they also started issuing QS-encoded quad LPs and I wonder if it was necessary for ABC to mix the album a second time to be QS compliant, and that the later GRT version is sourced from that mix.

It seems like some of the ABC GRT tapes have more than one catalog number, because it appears that ABC swallowed up some smaller labels and then reissued the tapes on their own labels. Case(s) in point:

Love Story (Original Soundtrack)

Original release on Paramount Records: 7091-6002 H
Reissued version on ABC Records: 7022-6002 H
View attachment 37871

Roy Clark 'Roy Clark's Family Album'

Original release on DOT Records: C 7150-26018
Reissue on ABC Dot: 7310-26018 H

View attachment 37872

It's likely that some of the other Dot titles (Roy Clark, Donna Fargo) and Paramount (Billy Vaughn) may have similar variants, but these are the two I happened to notice.

QA-6-Y Victor Silvester Strings 'Quadraphonic Home Concert De Luxe'
View attachment 37873

This appears to be a Japan-only Pye release, and it also explains where track A4 on the UK Pye Quadraphonic Sampler (QUAB 1001) came from.
I think that the Victor Silvester maybe the same as NSPL 41008 - Victor Silvester and His Silver Strings I have this LP 4D Series

Thanks rawmacias for reaching out.
That is a pirate recording of the likes that you would find at a truck stop or gas station back in the day.
I have a page for Pirate recordings but currently do not list any tapes like these as I thought it was so obvious with the printing and graphics that these are not legit. The other problem with a tape like this is that only a catalog number is listed with no label info so a little difficult to identify in text only. I guess I could add it anyway but fear what I might be getting myself into as I have seen way to many tapes like this than I want to type in!
And then there is the pirate of the pirate of the pirate tapes to consider also!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know if the yellow cartridge Ampex version of L.A. Midnight is the same quad mix as the blue/white GRT version - I know that in at least one other instance (John Lee Hooker's Never Get out of These Blues Alive) the Ampex version is different.

My edumacated guess is that (at least with the Hooker album) the original issue was Q8 only on Ampex, and then later on when ABC moved their tape licensing to GRT, they also started issuing QS-encoded quad LPs and I wonder if it was necessary for ABC to mix the album a second time to be QS compliant, and that the later GRT version is sourced from that mix.
[/QUOTE

Finally got the chance to listen to both tapes. My hearing suffers a bit due to 40 yr's in manufacturing sector , but it seems to be same quad mix. The sound quality was different, but that just might be caused by usage. I am willing to loan you the tapes if you want to do a comparison yourself.

I've had the yellow cartridge, the white cartridge and the blue cartridge of the John Lee Hooker title. It's all the same mix, though the GRT-produced ones have channel location errors. I believe the yellow cartridges' layout is correct, but, I no longer have it in my collection to double check. (sold it off once I got my blue one). IIRC, the duplication on the Ampex cartridge was much better in terms of frequency response. On the blue/white cartridges, it almost sounds like the drums were recorded in 4 channels due to the variation in timbre from channel to channel, but the Ampex cart had the drums right smack in the center of the room just like they almost do on the QS LP.

Back