Project proposal - The Ultimate Quadraphonic System (TUQS)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afalout

Hello all,

I would like to share a little project I am working on, that I started with the intention of creating The Ultimate Quadraphonic System (TUQS).

My focus is on 3 segments, and I propose to initially start 3 "master" threads - one for each of:
  1. Selecting TUQS gear
  2. Building TUQS system
  3. Selecting TUQS recordings
Let me expand a bit on what I am proposing for the above three:
  1. Selecting TUQS gear:
    1. Goal is, for each system component group, to choose 3 ultimate models – ranked as Gold, Silver and Bronze
    2. Each component group should have a separate thread for discussion and voting;
      1. Each thread will start by:
        1. Defining the requirements
        2. criteria for scoring
        3. initial list of components to be considered
        4. initial ranking
        5. It should be set as a "sticky" post - or simmilar
    3. Proposed groups are:
      1. Formats and compatibility
        1. This will define in and out-of-scope statements, Quad systems to consider and for systems with no generally available devices discuss how to reproduce them with compatible gear (such as RM, Dynaco Diamond, Dynaquad etc)
      2. Turntable, Pick-up/cartridge, Phono pre-amplifier, phono cables
      3. CD-4 and UD-4 de-modulator
      4. SQ decoder
      5. QS decoder
      6. Denon matrix formats decoder
      7. BSB Circle Surround decoder
      8. EV-4/Stereo 4 decoder
      9. Dolby Surround decoder
      10. Ambisonic decoder (UHJ and B format)
      11. Pre-amplifier/volume ctrl/tape loop feed device
      12. Reel to reel tape machine
      13. 8-track cartridge machine
      14. Optional components: (could be a single thread, but would be a bit messy)
        1. Line-level switcher/patch/router
        2. Tape and processing loop / patch bay
        3. Dynamics expander
        4. dbx disc decoder
        5. dbx Type II noise reduction
        6. Dolby Type B noise reduction
        7. 4-channel cassette player
        8. Leveling amplifier
        9. Headphones amplifier and Headphones
        10. Oscilloscope
    4. I note that QQ forum "Vintage Quadraphonic Equipment Gallery" could be used for source and/or discussion on specific devices?
  2. Building TUQS system:
    1. Will define block and racking level diagrams for the system, possibly in several variants
    2. Based on block diagram(s), will result in components-specific wiring diagram(s)
    3. As a hint to what I am aiming from, I am attaching 2 PDF files to this post:
      1. Current state of my thinking on block/rack level
      2. One of the old version of wiring diagram for my 2014 Quad system (to demonstrate deliverable only, it is otherwise obsolete)
      3. Because of the file size limit on this formum, unfortunately they are posted as PNG images, but hopefully you will get the general idea; originals are in Microsoft Visio format
  3. Selecting TUQS Top-100 (50?) recordings:
    1. Using criteria including artistic value, sound quality and effectiveness of Quad technology use
    2. Media to consider include all commercially released, analogue, Matrix and Discrete Quad formats on vinyl, tape (all systems).
    3. The thread will start by defining the criteria, in and out-of-scope statements and initial list of my personal favorites to get the ball rolling
    4. I note that QQ forum "4 Channel Spotlight LPs and Tapes" may/should be used for scoring?

Please let me know if this may be of interest to this comunity;

I appreciate that some elements of what I am proposing had been discussed, in some cases extensively, on this forums; however, as far as I am aware, no attempt was so far made to consolidate all this into a single system design with defined scoring, ranking, racking and cabling.

Admins - can you please let me know if such project would be welcome / allowed.

Suggestions on how to improve this proposal are gratefully received.

Cheers,
Andrej

Block & rack diagram - demo only.pngwiring diagram demo only - OBSOLETE.png

Just the effort to do this could unearth a lot of information and set criteria, perhaps a few unintended ones.

Looking forward to read about this.

I thought I had a lot of equip ! Thanks for the page. Great stuff.
Don't worry, you are not alone. Is there a self help group out there for those of us who horde four times the audio gear? I bought a lot of gear to find still working vintage gear, best affordable (?) CD4 demogitator, receivers/integrated amps, cartridges for CD4 etc. I am just glad I can not afford to horde speakers. If I had the room, I'd have a 4.o set up in four in the corner as well as diamond Dynaquad layout and maybe even a 5.1 set up integrated together. We won't bother to mention my stereo (2-3 channel gear) and my (GASP!) mono fetish. Just where do I find the space to hide (?) over 3000 LPs and other media?

as well evidenced at this site and in general, what people believe as the best or worse can often times be subjective.
This seems overwhelming to me unless I misunderstand.

has any one presented the neatest way to connect up equipment , I try to make least amount of wiring but fail each time

has any one presented the neatest way to connect up equipment , I try to make least amount of wiring but fail each time
Here is one complicated diagram of wiring from Quadro King. My experience has been to have a REALLY big box of RCA cables of many lengths and to physically lay out the equipment in a logical manner. I tend to put my receiver in the center, turntables above, switch boxes to the left, tape decks further to the left. I do the power bars to the right of the receiver and add my Japanese gear closest to the 100 volt transformer. I also leave open a physical space on the right for testing new gear close to the outlets so I can pull the plug in a hurry in case of fire! Twist ties, velcro straps, cable hoses and similar can also help big time. I plan to move my system in January and will try to remember to take photos while rebuilding my audio shelves in the new location.

I live in a small, poorly designed (from an audio standpoint) one bedroom apartment. Being a quaddie creates unique issues. I had to give away my dining table and other small bits of furniture. Speaker placement is a nightmare especially since I have a want to have a sweetish spot for two to listen and watch movies. A 32" Sony Trinitron is the other issue. I get eye strain from modern TVs and the equivalent modern aet would be 42" or bigger. Way out of my budget for anything meant to last and be of reasonable video quality. I don't have a couch or love seat but do have 2 recliners so I can lose the arguments with HWMBO over who gets the recliner. The person who invented L shaped living rooms in apartments should be shot and p#/$ed on.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere in this site, but I picked up used Columbo series at my thrift store and while watching an episode that guest starred Patrick McGoonan as a spy who kills another, is trying to evade the mastery of Columbo.
He invites Columbo to his mansion and shows off his many luxuries. One of them is his sound system, to which Columbo is impressed, McGowan sheepishly remarks....."It"s Quadraphonic".....Oh Yeah!

Hello all,

I would like to share a little project I am working on, that I started with the intention of creating The Ultimate Quadraphonic System (TUQS).

My focus is on 3 segments, and I propose to initially start 3 "master" threads - one for each of:
  1. Selecting TUQS gear
  2. Building TUQS system
  3. Selecting TUQS recordings
Let me expand a bit on what I am proposing for the above three:
  1. Selecting TUQS gear:
    1. Goal is, for each system component group, to choose 3 ultimate models – ranked as Gold, Silver and Bronze
    2. Each component group should have a separate thread for discussion and voting;
      1. Each thread will start by:
        1. Defining the requirements
        2. criteria for scoring
        3. initial list of components to be considered
        4. initial ranking
        5. It should be set as a "sticky" post - or simmilar
    3. Proposed groups are:
      1. Formats and compatibility
        1. This will define in and out-of-scope statements, Quad systems to consider and for systems with no generally available devices discuss how to reproduce them with compatible gear (such as RM, Dynaco Diamond, Dynaquad etc)
      2. Turntable, Pick-up/cartridge, Phono pre-amplifier, phono cables
      3. CD-4 and UD-4 de-modulator
      4. SQ decoder
      5. QS decoder
      6. Denon matrix formats decoder
      7. BSB Circle Surround decoder
      8. EV-4/Stereo 4 decoder
      9. Dolby Surround decoder
      10. Ambisonic decoder (UHJ and B format)
      11. Pre-amplifier/volume ctrl/tape loop feed device
      12. Reel to reel tape machine
      13. 8-track cartridge machine
      14. Optional components: (could be a single thread, but would be a bit messy)
        1. Line-level switcher/patch/router
        2. Tape and processing loop / patch bay
        3. Dynamics expander
        4. dbx disc decoder
        5. dbx Type II noise reduction
        6. Dolby Type B noise reduction
        7. 4-channel cassette player
        8. Leveling amplifier
        9. Headphones amplifier and Headphones
        10. Oscilloscope
    4. I note that QQ forum "Vintage Quadraphonic Equipment Gallery" could be used for source and/or discussion on specific devices?
  2. Building TUQS system:
    1. Will define block and racking level diagrams for the system, possibly in several variants
    2. Based on block diagram(s), will result in components-specific wiring diagram(s)
    3. As a hint to what I am aiming from, I am attaching 2 PDF files to this post:
      1. Current state of my thinking on block/rack level
      2. One of the old version of wiring diagram for my 2014 Quad system (to demonstrate deliverable only, it is otherwise obsolete)
      3. Because of the file size limit on this formum, unfortunately they are posted as PNG images, but hopefully you will get the general idea; originals are in Microsoft Visio format
  3. Selecting TUQS Top-100 (50?) recordings:
    1. Using criteria including artistic value, sound quality and effectiveness of Quad technology use
    2. Media to consider include all commercially released, analogue, Matrix and Discrete Quad formats on vinyl, tape (all systems).
    3. The thread will start by defining the criteria, in and out-of-scope statements and initial list of my personal favorites to get the ball rolling
    4. I note that QQ forum "4 Channel Spotlight LPs and Tapes" may/should be used for scoring?

Please let me know if this may be of interest to this comunity;

I appreciate that some elements of what I am proposing had been discussed, in some cases extensively, on this forums; however, as far as I am aware, no attempt was so far made to consolidate all this into a single system design with defined scoring, ranking, racking and cabling.

Admins - can you please let me know if such project would be welcome / allowed.

Suggestions on how to improve this proposal are gratefully received.

Cheers,
Andrej

View attachment 43643View attachment 43644
Hello @afalout, I believe I recognize your handle as a major contributor over on discogs, is that correct?

Too much gear here for me (not saying I wouldn’t love to have it all, it’s just not going to happen!)

But I’m very curious in your favs as to the 3 at 3 in your layout-

3- Selecting TUQS Top-100 (50?) recordings:
3- “The thread will start by defining the criteria, in and out-of-scope statements and initial list of my personal favorites to get the ball rolling”

Hello @afalout, I believe I recognize your handle as a major contributor over on discogs, is that correct?

Correct.

Too much gear here for me (not saying I wouldn’t love to have it all, it’s just not going to happen!)

But I’m very curious in your favs as to the 3 at 3 in your layout-

3- Selecting TUQS Top-100 (50?) recordings:
3- “The thread will start by defining the criteria, in and out-of-scope statements and initial list of my personal favorites to get the ball rolling”

Since the community did not show interest in this, I did not proceed with this part of the plan. As it's pointless without involvement of other people - whatever I came up with would be just my preferences.

However, I did complete the design and 90-95% of the system. Only major (if you can call it that, considering that system had total of 2 relevant releases) piece missing is the Denon UDA-100 demodulator ...

Cheers.

afalout - thank you very, very much for all of your surround sound lists on discogs.com,
found some interesting Dolby Surround encoded CDs. :)

Kirk Bayne

afalout - thank you very, very much for all of your surround sound lists on discogs.com,
found some interesting Dolby Surround encoded CDs. :)

Kirk Bayne

Me too :) And if you find any that are not on the list, let me know so I can add them.

And that goes for all spatial audio recordings...

Cheers

Back