HiRez Poll XTC as the Dukes of Stratosphear - PSURROUNDABOUT RIDE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of XTC as the Dukes of Stratosphear - PSURROUNDABOUT RIDE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 compilation from XTC of material recorded by their alter-ego band The Dukes of Stratosphear entitled "Psurroundabout Ride".
This compilation contains brand new stereo and 5.1 remixes from Steven Wilson of the Dukes' two albums "25 O'Clock" and "Psonic Psunspot" along with three additional recordings.

(y):) (n)

815IBIpwT7L._SL1200_.jpg

I'm a longtime fan of the Dukes (since the mid 80s when 25 O'Clock was new) and have been eagerly wanting this ever since XTC started their 5.1 remix campaign. Steve's 5.1 mix is an absolute revelation!:51QQ

So much detail I never noticed before, and the separation is superb. Steve really knocked this one out of the goddamn park. One of his best mixes and by far my favorite XTC bluray release. Recommend this set to anyone, even if you have never heard these albums before. Just a minor quibble that the video for "Mole from the Ministry" isn't included, but that's what YouTube is for. Only wish I could vote 11. :rocks

…Just a minor quibble that the video for "Mole from the Ministry" isn’t included …

Can’t help but wonder if they couldn’t find the master/source material for the video. Andy has done a great job loading up the Blu-rays with as much content possible pertinent to each of the previous releases so it’s a bit of a surprise that it didn’t make it. And I agree, it’s a minor quibble. I’ll spend far more time listening to all the other goodies than watching the video. So looking forward to getting this release.

Wow, what a delightful psonic psundae! I swear I can see Emily play as I travel down Blackberry Way. This release has all I had hoped—great fidelity, trippy mix and plenty of elements popping out that were either unused or buried in the original. Plus a post card signed by Sir John Johns himself. Life is good. 10!

The smell of the pinecones and the sea in her hair…

I was an XTC singles guy. Before this surround sound series I never heard any album as a whole. Never heard a single note from any Duke release.

I am a Steven Wilson die hard fan and a surroundoholic, so enter this surround series and I started to buy them as they were released. I connot understand why I sort of missed them the first time around. OK, every song is not a masterpiece by any measure, but each of the (re)released albums have a bunch of stellar songs on them (outside the singles already familiar to me).

This Duke release is actually the most easy listening album I heard from these guys, and I mean this in a positive way. Ok, there are odd sound effects etc but it still is an album I can put on when my wife is in the room, without her complaining - which is not the case with any XTC album from start to finish.

This material was meant for surround and Steven Wilson does not disappoint - it is a splendid psychedelic multichannel experience. I am also impressed with the fidelity and the audio quality. The only exception to this I spotted is some shrill percussion on Your Gold Dress but overall it is very good sounding.

Highly recommended! I voted a 9.

Last edited:
As you may know, I'm not a guy that easily votes 10, but this gets it.
It's everything I expected from a psychedelic 5.1 mix, and more! Whereas I was slightly disapointed with the new stereo remix, prefering the original stereo mix, this was simply made for surround.

One listen...don't need another to vote this time, it is a very vert solid 10, The music was made for surround and SW did his thing with perfect respect for the music involved....it needed to be let loose and FFS he did it.

Knowing when to do a mix that is subtle is one thing...knowing when it is time to let it all go and have fun is another...SW shows again that he knows what is called for.

VERY very solid 10 from me.

10. This is the best release yet in the 'Surround Sound Series' (which is saying something) and a strong contender for the best surround mix Steven's ever done (which is really saying something). The material is perfectly suited for this treatment, and every track has both wide channel separation and fun surround effects/flourishes that take full advantage of the endless possibilities multichannel has to offer.

Take for instance, "The Mole From The Ministry" - On the original mix, the voices slowly move from left to right until the chorus. On the surround mix, the voices go all the way around the room starting in FL and ending in RR.

The opening of "25 O'Clock" features the ticking clock bouncing diagonally from FR to RL as the other alarms slowly fade in from all corners - kinda reminds me a bit of the intro to Pink Floyd's "Time".

In general, the rears are loaded with backing vocals, keys, rhythm guitar, and all kinds of wacky sound effects. As with the other XTC releases, it's fun to solo the rears and just hear Colin's harmony parts.

"The Mole From The Ministry":
Mole From The Ministry.jpg

"Vanishing Girl" (yep, the lead guitar is in left rear :)):
Vanishing Girl.jpg

This was absolutely worth the nearly two year wait. Here's hoping we get English Settlement and Mummer in the not-so-distant future...

Can't really add anything to what's been psaid above. Psteven (whoops.....I mean the Porcupine Tree) really must have been having a blast when he mixed this. Listening to the instrumental mixes now which are very revealing. Another pstellar release in an already pstellar pseries. An easy 10.

Last edited:
Back