Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of Amazon PRIME, I just finished binge watching the entire UHD4K [Dolby Vision] 8 episode first season of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan .......VERY Highy recommended. Exceptionally well done!

See the source image

Season TWO will premiere on November 1st.

Last edited:
Aretha Franklin's legendary LOST FILM "Amazing Grace" has finally been restored and has a 5.1 BD~V release on Studio Canal. Read the New York Times Review: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/arts/music/aretha-franklin-amazing-grace-documentary.html

Available from AmazonUK [Region B] watch the amazing video sample on the website:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Gr...5953&creativeASIN=B07RN6Y2FB&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
91uVgweBXQL._SL1500_.jpg
Just ordered a copy. Now I just have to get my blu ray player to be region free.

On December 10th, Lionsgate will release the completely re~edited/expanded version of Francis Ford Coppola's admittedly troubled 80's opus THE COTTON CLUB in what critics are calling a masterpiece. I always had a soft spot for the original but felt it was somewhat incomplete and disjointed.

Hopefully, Lionsgate will release it in a Native UHD4K version but until then the December 10th release will be BD~V ONLY.

Read this September 2017 review from a critic who beheld the recut version at the Telluride Film Festival: https://www.talkhouse.com/coppola-just-premiered-the-cotton-club-encore-and-its-a-masterpiece/

"To discover The Cotton Club in this form is to come across a lost masterpiece that stands alongside Raging Bull, The Right Stuff and Once Upon a Time in America as one of the great American epics of the early 1980s."

See the source image

Last edited:
Watched this one last night, pretty good/fun Halloween type movie that even the little ones can enjoy!
Had some good surround elements also.

View attachment 43592

I DVRed it, Pupster and look forward to watching it. Thanks for the heads up. Jack Black is always ...well......engaging!

And if you have a chance....watch HEREDITARY. If you have Amazon Prime it's being broadcast in 4K. A very unsettling Flick!

Love that last line, Mike: the average 5.1 home surround system has the surrounds and bass turned up too high to 'impress the neighbors' that they have a surround system in their homes. Too often, even with music, unnecessary tweakers fiddle with their controls to 'augment' the surround experience when, in fact, they either don't have their speakers properly imaged or there is a disparity among the 5.1 speakers [mismatched, perhaps?]

I saw Apocalypse Now in a Manhattan theater upon release in 70mm and to this day, I'm still floored by the SOUND and magnificent image. Even with the fabulous new Native 4K version ..... it still ain't the same!

I'm especially looking forward to seeing Coppola's new re~edited version of THE COTTON CLUB.

Last edited:
They've done an awesome job with the Atmos on this.
Fucking inTENSE.

We can ALL thank Spielberg, Coppola and George Lucas for bringing surround sound into the modern age as each and every one of their films did advance sound from a mere adjunct into what it is today.

Next step: Holographically projected 3D without the glasses. But they will of course have to perfect theater in the round on a grander scale [think IMAX] if that's to become a reality.

Last edited:
Love that last line, Mike: the average 5.1 home surround system has the surrounds and bass turned up too high to 'impress the neighbors' that they have a surround system in their homes. Too often, even with music, unnecessary tweakers fiddle with their controls to 'augment' the surround experience when, in fact, they either don't have their speakers properly imaged or there is a disparity among the 5.1 speakers [mismatched, perhaps?]

I saw Apocalypse Now in a Manhattan theater upon release in 70mm and to this day, I'm still floored by the SOUND and magnificent image. Even with the fabulous new Native 4K version ..... it still ain't the same!

I'm especially looking forward to seeing Coppola's new re~edited version of THE COTTON CLUB.
That would have been the Ziegfeld Theatre. I saw it there as well. The roadshow print with left and right surround. Perhaps you were sitting right next to me.

The Shining 4K ("only" HDR10 at my place but the disc has HDR10+ and Dolby Vision):
1. Picture is fantastic. Colours look really good.
2. DTS-MA 5.1 sounds fine. Everything's pretty clear. Less hiss than the previous BD release. There's still a reasonable amount of hiss sometimes but that may be due to the hiss in the score.
3. Overall, a big step up from the previous BD release. This is probably my favourite Kube (top 4: This, Barry, 2001, Full Metal Jacket) and it's still really enjoyable even after about the 20th time. Well worth the upgrade.
4. The black plastic 4K case was smashed to bits enroute from Amazon so I did the chat thing to see if they had a spare they could chuck in with my next order. They said, "Nah" and I said, "S'cool playa. Ima use a spare BD case instead. No worries, Murrays". Next morning, there's an e-mail with a $17 credit so the whole thing ended up costing me $10 NZD.
5. Possibly interesting side note: I seem to remember way more of the helicopter main rotor disc visible at the top of the screen in the opening sequence with the credits. It's still there in the last scene when the helicopter reaches the Overlook but it makes me think that they maybe were able to do some digital trickery to remove it from earlier scenes? I don't have a problem with these sorts of tidy-ups but thought it worth a mention.

Last edited:
The digitalbits 5* review of the new ARROW VIDEO 4K Remaster [NOT UHD4k] of John Landis' 80's classic AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF in LONDON

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/an-american-werewolf-in-london-le-2019-brd
NOTE: There are 2 versions of this film. A Limited DELUXE edition with extras including postcards and a poster and a standard BD~V only version.
912DT0BQ7lL._SL1500_.jpg
I'm nervous about buying these newly released 4k transfers on bluray... I did this with the new "Suspiria" release and a few months later the transfer was released as a 4kUHD disc. It seems inevitable that if they go through the trouble to do a 4k transfer, eventually they'll release it as a 4kUHD disc (although I think Arrow has yet to release a 4kUHD)

I'm nervous about buying these newly released 4k transfers on bluray... I did this with the new "Suspiria" release and a few months later the transfer was released as a 4kUHD disc. It seems inevitable that if they go through the trouble to do a 4k transfer, eventually they'll release it as a 4kUHD disc (although I think Arrow has yet to release a 4kUHD)

You're probably right.......Universal will probably do a Native UHD4K release by either years end or next year.......probably the latter to allow for Arrow's licensing fee to expire.

Back