Bruce Soord is releasing his second solo album "All This Will Be Yours" (5.1 DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well took the plunge and ordered to be quite Frank these sets font seem to loose their value and while I preferred older pre Harrison Pineapple thief this one does sound interesting as a concept and Bruce does do quite nice surround mixes

I can't comment on the choice of formats/other marketing decision (so please don't ask ;) ) - BUT, I'm play testing the surround mix for Bruce again. :) So far I have only heard the stereo mix and it's a superb album. If you liked his last solo album, you'll love this one. imho it's (amazingly) a more cohesive album with even better song writing than the first. It also sounds perfect for surround, so much so that I can't wait to hear his surround mixes. :)

It's been a while, and the album has now gone off for pressing, so I thought I would update this thread with some feedback from the play testing. The album and surround mixes (in DTS 24/96) are both superb. Some of Bruce's best ever song writing, imho, and even better than his first solo album! The surround mixes are very active, dynamic and very discrete, and there's a number of factors that make the songs great candidates for surround, including some amazing harmonies, muli-layered guitars/synths, use of ambient effects and a lot of low end.

With the low end in mind Bruce's also created two different 5.1 mixes; one has a lot more in the LFE - the other doesn't, to avoid overloading systems/speakers that aren't "full range" and may already have a lot in the sub from bass management. This, apparently, came about following some discussions he had (with a mastering engineer) about how the LFE is often only lightly used in 5.1 mixes. It'll be very interesting to see how this goes down, as it's the only time I'm aware that it's been done.

In addition to the main album there are also (two) 5.1 mixes of every track given the acoustic treatment, plus two "bonus" tracks not on the main album. The acoustic mixes are stripped back recordings and sound rather more intimate than the full versions, maybe giving an insight into Bruce's song writing process (this is speculation on my part, rather than being anything he's confirmed.)

This is a great package of surround material and is sure to go down very well with anyone who likes Bruce's first solo album and/or his Pineapple Thief material.

It's been a while, and the album has now gone off for pressing, so I thought I would update this thread with some feedback from the play testing. The album and surround mixes (in DTS 24/96) are both superb. Some of Bruce's best ever song writing, imho, and even better than his first solo album! The surround mixes are very active, dynamic and very discrete, and there's a number of factors that make the songs great candidates for surround, including some amazing harmonies, muli-layered guitars/synths, use of ambient effects and a lot of low end.

With the low end in mind Bruce's also created two different 5.1 mixes; one has a lot more in the LFE - the other doesn't, to avoid overloading systems/speakers that aren't "full range" and may already have a lot in the sub from bass management. This, apparently, came about following some discussions he had (with a mastering engineer) about how the LFE is often only lightly used in 5.1 mixes. It'll be very interesting to see how this goes down, as it's the only time I'm aware that it's been done.

In addition to the main album there are also (two) 5.1 mixes of every track given the acoustic treatment, plus two "bonus" tracks not on the main album. The acoustic mixes are stripped back recordings and sound rather more intimate than the full versions, maybe giving an insight into Bruce's song writing process (this is speculation on my part, rather than being anything he's confirmed.)

This is a great package of surround material and is sure to go down very well with anyone who likes Bruce's first solo album and/or his Pineapple Thief material.
Thanks Neil, that sounds very promising. On the first solo album Bruce already did a nice trick with the LFE. In Born In Delusion at one point the Strang Kind of Love chorus is also in the sub.

While I don't like it, I understand the price for this 2CD / 1 DVD edition. Similar to Katatonia, Gong, and the Pineapple Thief surround releases, these are housed in a 10+" hard cover book. Obviously, my preference is the smaller, space conscious packaging, such as the King Crimson 40th Anniversary series. That would have certainly kept the manufacturing / printing costs down. I will need to hear this album before laying out the $$ for it.

I did get his first release and the 5.1 download, which I agree was a marketing foo pah. They are clearly trying to create limited supply to create urgency for fans to purchase.

As good as this album may be, having to spend ~35 pounds (well over $50.00 US with shipping) to get 2 CDs and 1 lossy DVD surround mix is just too much, even with a 10" hard bound book. Compare this to the recent Stormwatch bookset from Jethro Tull: 4 cds, 2 dvd's, surround mix, live concert, plus a lavish hard bound color book all for ~27 pounds (~$35.00 US), and the value to cost ratio of this boxset is hard to justify. I'd happily purchase a 5.1 download or a more simply packaged 2CD/1DVD set for about half the price, but for now I'm passing.

I'm no expert but I suppose the cost must be determined by the expected demand as I would assume that a smaller run will increase the cost per item. Certainly the recent sets from the Dukes of Stratosphear and King Crimson (Crimson King) provide better value per £ but a guess they are aimed at a wider market.

Back