Bruce Soord is releasing his second solo album "All This Will Be Yours" (5.1 DVD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As good as this album may be, having to spend ~35 pounds (well over $50.00 US with shipping) to get 2 CDs and 1 lossy DVD surround mix is just too much, even with a 10" hard bound book. Compare this to the recent Stormwatch bookset from Jethro Tull: 4 cds, 2 dvd's, surround mix, live concert, plus a lavish hard bound color book all for ~27 pounds (~$35.00 US), and the value to cost ratio of this boxset is hard to justify. I'd happily purchase a 5.1 download or a more simply packaged 2CD/1DVD set for about half the price, but for now I'm passing.
ExACTly...

I'm no expert but I suppose the cost must be determined by the expected demand as I would assume that a smaller run will increase the cost per item. Certainly the recent sets from the Dukes of Stratosphear and King Crimson (Crimson King) provide better value per £ but a guess they are aimed at a wider market.
It seems a chicken and egg scenario. My guess is that a slimmed down set (2cds and a dvd in a slipcase) will be cheaper and will sell more units.

Deluxe set arrived from Burning Shed today, nice package. Yes a bit pricey but between Bruce, Kscope and of course the Shed I've no real problem my money is going to people I like to support.

In the queue, should get a 5.1 listen this weekend, and I'll rip over to the trusty ol' iPod for playing in the car.

Got mine from the Shed today as well! Book arrived without any dents--Yay!--although as has been my experience with most of these pricey import books (with a couple of exceptions like Hand Cannot and Your Wilderness) the content is underwhelming.

Gave a listen in the car--good sounds for a rainy dark fall day, with the first song about mourning a loss, and the 9th, final song about the death of the singer himself. There's no party between those bookends--believe me! But, there are rich tones that I am eager to explore this evening in the 5.1 system, and will give an update....

Dove into the surround last night in the middle of a thunderstorm. There are two 5.1 mixes--a "full range" mix and a "bass managed mix"--with a recommendation on the screen to switch to bass managed if your bass is excessive. The sound is wide open on my playback system...the mix is immersive, with some elements isolated in the rears making it very engaging.

The acoustic reworkings are rich in themselves, and I think may be my go-to for now as I get into this album. To me, it's much different than his last solo--it's dark and cohesive. This one's going to take awhile!

Extra points for mellotron on the title track, reminiscent of vintage TPT!

I took a very quick at look at the two 5.1 mixes in Adobe Audition -- seems that the "bass managed mix" is really more of a 5.0... the LFE channel looks like a flat line. I'm not sure if that means it's entirely silent or just very low level content.

Looking forward to giving this a listen in the car, my only surround environment.

I've played the ripped 2 cd's on the ol' iPod in the car several times this week - it's a very well crafted album. While certainly not "pop" songs I wouldn't call them difficult either, very easy to get familiar with. Bruce is on a bit of a roll creatively this last while. Now that I know the songs I'll try get back to the 5.1 mix this weekend for another play.

Again, a bit of a shame they priced this one a little more than a lot of people were willing to pay - perhaps a little patience will pay off and it'll make it onto one of the Shed's sale item lists if indeed they can't sell them at full price. I do see the dlx set at DeepDiscount (tho backordered) for $45usd....wait for a 15% off sale and free shipping and maybe it's a bit cheaper?

Deluxe set arrived from Burning Shed today, nice package. Yes a bit pricey but between Bruce, Kscope and of course the Shed I've no real problem my money is going to people I like to support.

In the queue, should get a 5.1 listen this weekend, and I'll rip over to the trusty ol' iPod for playing in the car.
Currently $65 ish on Amazon US. lmao!

Honestly, still too rich for my blood. Even $30 for a lossy album of non-classic status exceeds my threshold.

Yeah, I totally get it - we all have limits, and priorities. I've passed on several due to the combination of price vs content vs how much I like it. I'm looking at you Pink Floyd.

That said, this is a superb album...but...for the price should have been a Blu-ray and then could have included the 5.1 of his 1st solo album. What with the generous content of the last couple Pineapple Thief sets you have to wonder just what the reasoning was behind making it a dvd-v.

What worries is though - is it the label saying "hey Bruce, not enough income from the layout...need to recoup some of the $$ here sometime, keep the cost down" - but then with there being another live Pineapple Thief disc out now..there's some easy sales with probably little outlay other than the time to mix and master (no deluxe or 5.1)....perhaps all those things are in play?

I got mine from Burning Shed for around 65$CAD including shipping and at the same time, reached the limit of what I am willing to pay for a surround recording, only because Bruce Soord is a great artist which is still making music and deserves to be encouraged to make more good music. Also, it compensates for the 15$CAD I paid for the Blu Ray of "Where We Stood" that included FOUR albums in surround: "Where We Stood", "Your Wilderness", the acoustic tracks from "Your Wilderness" and "8 Years Later".
I went to the Montréal show yesterday and they had signed copies of "All This Will Be Yours" for 65$CAD.

Is the DVD-V available anywhere? I own the CD and all the other Pineapple Thief blu-rays, but somehow missed this one and didn't buy it at the Toronto show.

Thanks

Back