Snood's Garage Sale Adventures continued.........

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's so odd (in a good way!) seeing local stuff discussed on a worldwide forum.
That is what I find so great about this site! Without this site, we (you , Pupster and I) may as well be on a different planets even thought we are less than 150 mi. apart. Merced is a desolate place for quad stuff. I have physically gone east from Mammoth Mountain , south to Fresno, west to the Bay area and north to Eugene Ore. for my collection . You live in a great area for quad equip and media. I have kin who live in Rocklin and Lincoln. When I visit , I check out as many places as I can . And there are a lot! Merced? One vintage record store ( Tiggers and Daggers). Great store though . Even sells vintage equip.

See the source image

ATMOSpheric enough, jamoke?

Amazing that "Female Trouble" actually got a 16mm to 4K Transfer for the recent Blu-Ray release. Pink Flamingos is next.
Now the soundtrack needs to be ATMOS'ed!
Soundtrack at Discogs

Amazing that "Female Trouble" actually got a 16mm to 4K Transfer for the recent Blu-Ray release. Pink Flamingos is next.
Now the soundtrack needs to be ATMOS'ed!
Soundtrack at Discogs

I have the Criterion BD~V of Female Troubles but haven't yet watched it. 16mm NEVER had it so good. LOVE Pink Flamingos ....... BTW, I saw Hairspray on Broadway and had the privilege of meeting John Waters along with the very talented cast outside the theater and now have a signed HAIRSPRAY poster with ALL their autographs. I told Waters he was a genius ..... he blushed! I even told Marissa Janet Winokur who originated the role of Tracy Turnblad on Broadway that she was going to win the TONY Award that year .....and she DID! And 6'2" Harvey Fierstein as Mrs. Turnblad was, shall we say ...... DIVINE! Harvey Fierstein

See the source image

But if I do decide to have a TAG SALE, Snood ain't getting my autographed HAIRSPRAY Poster.......that's for sure!

See the source image

Last edited:
SO today Snood taking Momma Snood out for some burger. 🤗 On way out of sub division Snood see garage sale sign and say ahhhhh what the hell. Snood go down some streets and goes oooooh me remember these guys for like 20 years ago. Same place bought some old John Waters dvds (don't judge Snood). So looking around and one of the ladies wants to have a conversation with Snood and Snood is like damn why do me have to be so freaking hot. :ROFLMAO: Answer = It was still 85 freaking degrees outside :ROFLMAO:

Ok didn't find anything but on way out saw these un opened sealed reel to reel tapes - 3 Scotch 270s and 3 Maxell 35-90s (one of the Maxells was opened but looked unplayed and almost new inside and out - marked black on the back.

3.00 sticker on each then noticed a Neil Young - Everybody Knows....... & Glen Campbell Greatest Hits - both used also Eddy Arnold and a Charley Pride 10th (Charley did not have the original reel - have no Idea whats on the reel inside). The reels for the recorded stuff look koo cept the neil lead in is a lil crumpled for about 2 inches............

Lady said she could go 2 bux each on the sealed blacks and 1.00 on each of the Neils, Glenn etc - 15 bux if all.......so Snood went umm hell me dunno. ok? Maybe might pique someones interest on QQ :unsure: Snood asked the lady if she actually had a Reel to Reel player and she said she had sold it at the last garage sale :eek:.......said those were all the reels she had.

Sooooo ummmm any good? :unsure: Snood figured wasted 15 bux, but give it a try - if ya need more pics lemme know

Burgers were good..........screwed up order a lil, but Snood got 5 bux back for that so kinda like all these for 10 then lol....also the diet coke was not from garage sale and dig my 70s style counter tops :giggle:

wl8lIz8.jpg

plWUF5R.jpg

WNKsMv0.jpg

this is the best thing ever!

I first kerned about Snood in the early 2000’s. I still remember learning about it in a newspaper or comp mag while having lunch close to the airport. Can’t remember why I was there (0h, to get a passport photo so it would been 2001). Thanks. I was a mad recorder of all things at that time in my Treo Handspring :) !

I was such an addict, I had those off the wall bank shots down. I got my whole family hooked.

Thanks Snood, I dig your score.

SO today Snood taking Momma Snood out for some burger. 🤗 On way out of sub division Snood see garage sale sign and say ahhhhh what the hell. Snood go down some streets and goes oooooh me remember these guys for like 20 years ago. Same place bought some old John Waters dvds (don't judge Snood). So looking around and one of the ladies wants to have a conversation with Snood and Snood is like damn why do me have to be so freaking hot. :ROFLMAO: Answer = It was still 85 freaking degrees outside :ROFLMAO:

Ok didn't find anything but on way out saw these un opened sealed reel to reel tapes - 3 Scotch 270s and 3 Maxell 35-90s (one of the Maxells was opened but looked unplayed and almost new inside and out - marked black on the back.

3.00 sticker on each then noticed a Neil Young - Everybody Knows....... & Glen Campbell Greatest Hits - both used also Eddy Arnold and a Charley Pride 10th (Charley did not have the original reel - have no Idea whats on the reel inside). The reels for the recorded stuff look koo cept the neil lead in is a lil crumpled for about 2 inches............

Lady said she could go 2 bux each on the sealed blacks and 1.00 on each of the Neils, Glenn etc - 15 bux if all.......so Snood went umm hell me dunno. ok? Maybe might pique someones interest on QQ :unsure: Snood asked the lady if she actually had a Reel to Reel player and she said she had sold it at the last garage sale :eek:.......said those were all the reels she had.

Sooooo ummmm any good? :unsure: Snood figured wasted 15 bux, but give it a try - if ya need more pics lemme know

Burgers were good..........screwed up order a lil, but Snood got 5 bux back for that so kinda like all these for 10 then lol....also the diet coke was not from garage sale and dig my 70s style counter tops :giggle:

wl8lIz8.jpg

plWUF5R.jpg

WNKsMv0.jpg
How much for the Neil Young tape? One of my most fav lp's ; after Buffalo Springfield lp's.

I've been collecting reel tapes for many years (along with the decks), but have never come across a pre-recorded reel tape at a garage sale, not to mention a Neil Young. Now thats a great find!. Not too long ago I grabbed a 3 3/4 ips Willie Nelson "always on my mind" at an Arc and was just going to use it for the reel (take the original tape off and replace it with tape from one of my favotite albums because the reel looked so cool)...until I played it! The sound is as good as any 7 1/2 ips I have (very suprising). Even more suprising is that I was actually enjoying listening to Willie Nelson! When I was young, I remember listening to a 3 3/4 reel of the Eagles "long run" on a Pioneer rt 701 in a "Wilsons merchandise" store. Since that time I've tried to purchase this tape for nostalgia purposes but have been unsuccesful because it seems many of these 3/3/4 reel tapes were made at the twilight of the reel era and are quite rare.

Last edited:
I've been collecting reel tapes for many years (along with the decks), but have never come across a pre-recorded reel tape, not to mention a Neil Young.

I've got "Everybody Knows..." and "On the Beach". I didn't realize at the time that "On the Beach" had such an odd history and was so hard to find, no CD, blah blah etc. Once I found that out, I digitized my 7.5IPS reel and shared a few copies. Then Neil Young put out the 176.4kHz DVD-A. Seems to happen to me a lot: I'll finally give in and go through the work of digitizing something, THEN it finally comes out on a modern format. I was really thrilled quite a few years back to find a still-sealed reel of "The Baroque Beatles Book" and get that digitized. I think it was about six months later that it finally made its way to CD.

The same thing has happened with quad vinyl, with "Indian Reservation" being the most recent one that comes to mind.

Not too long ago I grabbed a 3 3/4 ips Willie Nelson "always on my mind" at an Arc and was just going to use it for the reel (take the original tape off and replace it with tape from one of my favotite albums because the reel looked so cool)...until I played it! The sound is as good as any 7 1/2 ips I have (very suprising). Even more suprising is that I was actually enjoying listening to Willie Nelson! When I was young, I remember listening to a 3 3/4 reel of the Eagles "long run" on a Pioneer rt 701 in a "Wilsons merchandise" store. Since that time I've tried to purchase this tape for nostalgia purposes but have been unsuccesful because it seems many of these 3/3/4 reel tapes were made at the twilight of the reel ara and are quite rare.

I've still got all my old Columbia House reels, including "The Long Run". That and the Cars' "Panorama" are two that really stood out at the time as sounding good to me for 3-3/4IPS. Seems like slow-speed reels and pre-recorded cassettes finally got pretty good right before CD came along and blew both of them away.

That is what I find so great about this site! Without this site, we (you , Pupster and I) may as well be on a different planets even thought we are less than 150 mi. apart. Merced is a desolate place for quad stuff. I have physically gone east from Mammoth Mountain , south to Fresno, west to the Bay area and north to Eugene Ore. for my collection . You live in a great area for quad equip and media. I have kin who live in Rocklin and Lincoln. When I visit , I check out as many places as I can . And there are a lot! Merced? One vintage record store ( Tiggers and Daggers). Great store though . Even sells vintage equip.

Merced: Gateway to Chowchilla!

Sacramento actually got a lot less music friendly recently with the shutdown of Dimple Records. That killed multiple stores all at once, though I did just spend too much money at Delta Breeze Records downtown last week. Took in a Technics SL-Q6 for service and made the mistake of pawing through the bargain bin. Actually did get a Vox quad of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" as well as one of those cheapo Capitol SQ easy listening oddities ("Fiddler on the Roof").

If you get to the Rocklin area again, check out The Audio Nerd. They had the greatest sale of all time a year or so back: FREE! They had some issue with their warehouse landlord or something, so just gave a way a ton of stuff. Found a perfect 78 album of The Enigma Variations and an autographed copy of "Frankie Laine's Greatest Hits"!

That as around the same time I went on a tear and acquired/digitized all the Warner Brothers Loss Leaders I didn't already have. As luck would have it, the one The Audio Nerd had in stock was exactly the one I needed at the time.

If you really want to spend some time driving, a bit farther north in Yuba City is Sound Attitude. Tiny little shop CRAMMED with stuff. Friendly staff too, though they were openly smoking pot the last time I went. I personally have nothing against that, but it doesn't seem like the most brilliant business strategy.

What was probably Sacramento's biggest analog repair shop, Stereoadvisor, moved to Modesto while my back was turned. That puts him a lot closer to you than to me.

Merced: Gateway to Chowchilla!

Sacramento actually got a lot less music friendly recently with the shutdown of Dimple Records. That killed multiple stores all at once, though I did just spend too much money at Delta Breeze Records downtown last week. Took in a Technics SL-Q6 for service and made the mistake of pawing through the bargain bin. Actually did get a Vox quad of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" as well as one of those cheapo Capitol SQ easy listening oddities ("Fiddler on the Roof").

If you get to the Rocklin area again, check out The Audio Nerd. They had the greatest sale of all time a year or so back: FREE! They had some issue with their warehouse landlord or something, so just gave a way a ton of stuff. Found a perfect 78 album of The Enigma Variations and an autographed copy of "Frankie Laine's Greatest Hits"!

That as around the same time I went on a tear and acquired/digitized all the Warner Brothers Loss Leaders I didn't already have. As luck would have it, the one The Audio Nerd had in stock was exactly the one I needed at the time.

If you really want to spend some time driving, a bit farther north in Yuba City is Sound Attitude. Tiny little shop CRAMMED with stuff. Friendly staff too, though they were openly smoking pot the last time I went. I personally have nothing against that, but it doesn't seem like the most brilliant business strategy.

What was probably Sacramento's biggest analog repair shop, Stereoadvisor, moved to Modesto while my back was turned. That puts him a lot closer to you than to me.
I go to Audio Nerd whenever I'm in town. Last time I was there ,I purchased a Led Zep II "RL" MO vg+ for $99. He put it on for me for a check and the sound was great! Get this, as the record ended , some guy the owner knew goes over and lifts the arm and drops it onto the record ! WHAT THE F%$#@! Fortunately it landed on the runout.
On the same trip , I went to Delta Breeze Records. Bought a couple of lp's. Started talking to the owner. His wife has family in Merced . His younger partner comes in and I was introduced to him. He said that he had a quad receiver in back that he didn't know what to do with since there hadn't been a lot of interest in quad in their shop. He brought it out from the back . It's a Kenwood KR-8140. It has five preset buttons for stations (like on a vintage car radio) . I asked him how much? He gave it to me . Made my wk! He also turned me onto MediumRare Records around the corner. Great setup!
Being clean and sober for 27 yrs (gotta love the 70's) , I'm not a big fan of the "weed" . Nuff said on that.
Yeah , Stereoadvisor! My gain , your loss! I have used him (great guy!) to refurbish my Sansui SC 737. When I picked it up I dropped off my Akai CR-80D-SS for the same. He took me on a tour of the shop. Looks like a 70's audio museum.

Hey! That's "Gateway to Yosemite" ! You funny!
20191105_131849.jpg

Last edited:
I go to Audio Nerd whenever I'm in town. Last time I was there ,I purchased a Led Zep II "RL" MO vg+ for $99. He put it on for me for a check and the sound was great! Get this, as the record ended , some guy the owner knew goes over and lifts the arm and drops it onto the record ! WHAT THE F%$#@! Fortunately it landed on the runout.

Toooo funny -Snood woulda freaked..........is the RL ZEP as awesome as peeps say?? :unsure:

Toooo funny -Snood woulda freaked..........is the RL ZEP as awesome as peeps say?? :unsure:
Yes , in my opinion , it has great sound. I also collect Robert Ludwig work , so that was also an incentive to buy. I actually think that T Bone Burnett's "The Talking Animals " RL lp is a better example of Robert Ludwigs work.

On the same trip , I went to Delta Breeze Records. Bought a couple of lp's. Started talking to the owner. His wife has family in Merced . His younger partner comes in and I was introduced to him. He said that he had a quad receiver in back that he didn't know what to do with since there hadn't been a lot of interest in quad in their shop. He brought it out from the back . It's a Kenwood KR-8140. It has five preset buttons for stations (like on a vintage car radio) . I asked him how much? He gave it to me . Made my wk!

When Delta Breeze was still located in West Sacramento I dragged a friend out there one weekend. We were looking at the hardware in the backroom and, up on a higher shelf, there was a nice looking QSD-2. No price tag. I went into full "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS?!?!" mode with my friend, who then asked the price. It was $25. Obviously, he bought it!

Yeah , Stereoadvisor! My gain , your loss! I have used him (great guy!) to refurbish my Sansui SC 737. When I picked it up I dropped off my Akai CR-80D-SS for the same. He took me on a tour of the shop. Looks like a 70's audio museum.

Yeah, when he was on J Street I always felt like I'd stepped back in time. He's a very nice guy and his prices are reasonable, but I have to admit that I've had to take more than one thing back more than one time. I think he might be overwhelmed.

Hey! That's "Gateway to Yosemite" ! You funny!

I genuinely like small towns and in fact was just in Manteca on Wednesday. "Chowchilla" always makes me smile, though. I'm old enough to remember that crazy school bus kidnapping that briefly made the place nationally known.

One of those listings says it is 7.5ips, the rest if stated say 3.75. I wonder if it really came out in 7.5ips? I'd be all over that at that price!
Good eye. I strongly suspect that was a mistake by the listing party as they give the exact same catalog number as all of the other listings. That's the kind of mistake that can cost you some money on eBay.

One of those listings says it is 7.5ips, the rest if stated say 3.75. I wonder if it really came out in 7.5ips? I'd be all over that at that price!

It was one of several tapes that was originally issued at 3.75 but was later reissued at 7.5. It's been so many decades now that I can no longer remember if that happened in the 1970s or 1980s, but obviously it was pre-CD.

I haven't seen any of the reissues where the boxes or labels were updated in any way, but most have a little sticker in the lower right corner to note the speed upgrade. Though I do have a copy of Neil Diamond's "Gold" that has no indication whatsoever that it's at 7.5, but it is.

There were also a few stealth Dolbys that turned up near the end of the reel era. I've got at least a "Tubular Bells" and I think a "Tommy". There's nothing on the box indicating Dolby, but there are tones at the head of side one.

(Yes, my Neil Young tape box is water damaged, though the tape itself is fine.)
everybody.jpg

When Delta Breeze was still located in West Sacramento I dragged a friend out there one weekend. We were looking at the hardware in the backroom and, up on a higher shelf, there was a nice looking QSD-2. No price tag. I went into full "DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS IS?!?!" mode with my friend, who then asked the price. It was $25. Obviously, he bought it!

Yeah, when he was on J Street I always felt like I'd stepped back in time. He's a very nice guy and his prices are reasonable, but I have to admit that I've had to take more than one thing back more than one time. I think he might be overwhelmed.

I genuinely like small towns and in fact was just in Manteca on Wednesday. "Chowchilla" always makes me smile, though. I'm old enough to remember that crazy school bus kidnapping that briefly made the place nationally known.
I worked at a company just outside of Chowchilla for 40yrs. I worked with a lot of people who were affected by that tragedy.
Yeah , Stereoadvisor may be overwhelmed , but also , he is 70 . When I got my Sansui sc737 back, the door worked for a couple of times. Then it would not stay shut. Found that an arm that worked the locking mech. came off. The e clip was missing. I could not hear it when I moved the unit around and suspect that he forgot to put it on. I say this because at 66, that is where my memory is at. I put a new e clip and it's all good. I still will use him as he seems to be genuinely interested in doing a good job. And that goes a long way with me. After I get my Akai quad tape deck back , I plan to see if he is interested in working on my Fosgate Tate II. I got it from a guy in Sac who is a estate buyer. So he didn't know the history. I did not want to try it until it was checked out. Hopefully Stereoadvisor will get it back in shape.

Back