ABC/Command Quadraphonic - The Best QS Lineup

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
How odd that of all of the quad output of the '70s, the only MAJOR label(s) that released QS material was ABC, which later became MCA. They started out with demo type stuff, easy listening demo material from MOR artists like Doc Severinsen and Tony Motolla, then a year or so later debuted the ABC/COMMAND QUADRAPHONIC series with high profile top tier artists of the time like Jim Croce, Steely Dan, Joe Walsh, Three Dog Night and others. This series was the showcase for the QS system, yet although the initial Easy Listening albums showed a picture of a QS decoder in the album innerds, the ABC/COMMAND QUADRAPHONIC LPs did not bear any sign of the encoding method or QS Logo anywhere. Not even a mention! Go figure.

Two label variations appeared for the ABC/Command Quadraphonic albums.

THE FIRST VERSION LABEL: Gold with the CQ logo circling the label

Label 1.jpg

THE LATER VERSION LABEL: Rainbow label with ABC Command Quadraphonic across the upper label

Label 2.jpg

Their Q8s were great but usually a mess, with channel location errors, different mixes, and even radically different mixes in Canada. While some of the Q8's actually mentioned "Dunhill", which was a sub label of ABC, the identical LP releases did not. (Q8 scans of some of the titles are included in a post below)

Then suddenly, it all went away, and that was that. I am sure there are some very interesting behind the scenes stories about this series that we'll never know.

Anyway, here are the LP's to view and admire. Perfect food for your Surround Master!

ABC 40000 600.jpg

ABC 40001 600.jpg

ABC 40002 600.jpg

ABC 40003 600.jpg

ABC 40004 600.jpg

ABC 40005 600.jpg

ABC 40006-nb 600.jpg

ABC 40006 600.jpg

ABC 40007-nb.jpg

ABC 40007 600.jpg

ABC 40008 600.jpg

Croce with Border I GOt a Name.jpg

ABC 40009-nb 600.jpg

ABC 40009 600.jpg

Last edited:
NOTE: The 3 Jim Croce albums and the first Steely Dan Album were released with 2 cover variations (all shown above). The originals did NOT have the colored border around the album cover graphic. These used the standard album graphic that was on the stereo LP, with the Command Quadraphonic logo appearing somewhere on the cover. Later runs of these 4 albums were later manufactured with the border around the graphic matching the later ABC Command releases.

ABC 40008 600.jpg
Alternate I Got A Name Not Clear.jpg

There is a chance that others were released with different variations, most notably Keeper of the Castle, Main Street People, and the Grassroots Greatest Hits. If anyone has seen these with a border, or has a scan or jpg of these with a border, post them here if you can. That would be great.

Last edited:
Their Q8s were great but usually a mess, with channel location errors, different mixes, and even radically different mixes in Canada.

Indeed - 8 out of the 10 ABC/GRT Q8s in my collection have the front left and rear left swapped.

The most unusual case would have to be The Grass Roots' 16 Greatest Hits, in which the "C" and "H" tapes (both released in the US) have completely different quad mixes.

Great timing , Jon.

I just came across the ultra rare picture of Joe Walsh-So What on ABC Command.

Maybe you've already seen it, but for those interested you can view it via Billboard Magazine .

Log on to American radio history for Billboard archives editions , .....March 8th 19 75.....on page 21!!

It's in a large Sansui sponsored ABC Command Quad album releases (unfortunately it is only in black and white), but worthwhile viewing for collectors.
makes me wonder where in the U.S. it might have been released (which city) . I'm only guessing but perhaps they issued a small number and for whatever reason pulled them?

Sorry I can't supply a link or picture, just yet.

I believe I have all the Q8's now. I'm only missing TDN's "Coming Down your Way" LP. What's interesting is that some of the Q8's have label variations I guess depending on what production run they came from. Some have red Q8 symbols, some have white, later prints have the "QUADRAPHONIC" pills on either side of the artwork. I've seen three variations of the Joe Walsh Q8, think I'm up to four on the Grass Roots.

And then you get into white cartridge/white label, white cartridge/blue label variations.....

I understand that ABC and others could use the QS encode system royalty free but would of had to pay if mention was made of QS or if the logo used. I don't know it that is true or not, it actually seems backwards you would think that Sansui would want the QS logo prominently displayed on the Quad releases. O.D. did a QS decode of "So What", but he never said where he got the QS encode from. Might be some albums out there, or test pressings at least, that title was in my want list for years but then the recording was listed as announced but never released, so who knows?

Last edited:
NOTE: The 3 Jim Croce albums and the first Steely Dan Album were released with 2 cover variations (all shown above). The originals did NOT have the colored border around the album cover graphic. These used the standard album graphic that was on the stereo LP, with the Command Quadraphonic logo appearing somewhere on the cover. Later runs of these 4 albums were later manufactured with the border around the graphic matching the later ABC Command releases.

View attachment 43968 View attachment 43969

There is a chance that others were released with different variations, most notably Keeper of the Castle, Main Street People, and the Grassroots Greatest Hits. If anyone has seen these with a border, or has a scan or jpg of these with a border, post them here if you can. That would be great.
This has been a lot of nostalgic fun to read & informative as well. It made me go & sort through all my quad records cuz, you know, I just had to see which Jim Croce cover I had!

Mix wise SQ out numbers QS in my collection & what I have roughly the same amount of QS & CD-4. I knew several perople back in the day with Sansui quad gear so the equipment was available. But QS records were just not pushed by the local store owners.

I own no Q8's but I did buy a Moody Blues Q8 at one time just to listen to as an experiment. Yup, you really need the right player for that format. But it did get me into discrete R2R & have all but one of the Moodie's in that format.

I'm generally not a fan of matrix formats, and I even have a Tate for doing SQ! But, I still prefer QS over SQ. When you flip on the QS decoder, you can instantly tell something happened to the music going from stereo to Quad. Not a lot of SQ discs seem to be able to do that. So, in my LP collection CD-4 and QS greatly outnumber my SQ discs.

Did all those ABC QUAD masters actually perish in the Universal fire? Dutton Vocalion has been releasing MCA/UMG related RBCDs for years and wonder if they'd ever consider releasing these fabulous QUAD titles on SACD if they're not lost?

Did all those ABC QUAD masters actually perish in the Universal fire? Dutton Vocalion has been releasing MCA/UMG related RBCDs for years and wonder if they'd ever consider releasing these fabulous QUAD titles on SACD if they're not lost?

The ABC Quad masters more than likely were destroyed during what has often been referred to as "The Great MCA Purge". In 1974, ABC acquired Dot Records. This had the side effect of stressing ABC storage facilities. Shortly thereafter, ABC executives decided to unload mono masters and multitracks, keeping only stereo Masters. They figured this would save them on storage costs. This practice continued for a few years, even after ABC was absorbed into MCA in 1979. Today, even high-profile multitracks like from Lynyrd Skynyrd are missing.

I think this is why we've seen an inordinate amount of ABC Duplication Masters on eBay. So far we've found Three Dog Night, Steely Dan and Jim Croce 15 i.p.s. 10" Duplication Masters. There have also been others from A&M pop up as well.

I'm wondering about that very same event mishap in regards to ABC Dunhill, etc quad discrete (and matrix encodes)....did they or did they not burn up tragically.

Could be why A.F. released " Joe Wash So What "in stereo Sacd only. (now I'm sad )

Back