Need help with new Turntable choice to use with QS/SQ & SMv2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a strong adult beverage tonight - my go to...
and maybe catch "The Mandalorian" :ROFLMAO:
(*Did you see Nick Nolte?)
HENNESSY-VSOP-COGNAC.jpg

very sorry to hear about your disappointment Pupster 😔
maybe a bit late in the day to chip in and i don't want to put the boot in on top of your recent letdown but now i'm so entrenched in the old Quad vinyl thing fwiw i wouldn't have another entry level Pro-Ject turntable for a gift.
my old Debut was never upto much from the day i got it but down the line comparing needledrops on the Pro-Ject to the Technics it was really a toy and for Quad forget it, with the matrix stuff just no comparison so when it came time to embark upon CD-4 it was time for it to go.
if i were in your situation (particularly knowing you have plans to ultimately go CD-4) i'd go for a full refund and seek an alternative.
ideally a turntable with greater potential for fine adjustment, an arm you can easily swap out headshells on for different carts and one with better speed stability (the w&f on my Debut was laughable compared to the Technics and my earlier recordings were plagued with hum and motor noise) but its just my twopennuth.. meantime, i hope you can resolve things to your satisfaction and best of luck whatever you decide to do 😻

very sorry to hear about your disappointment Pupster 😔
maybe a bit late in the day to chip in and i don't want to put the boot in on top of your recent letdown but now i'm so entrenched in the old Quad vinyl thing fwiw i wouldn't have another entry level Pro-Ject turntable for a gift.
my old Debut was never upto much from the day i got it but down the line comparing needledrops on the Pro-Ject to the Technics it was really a toy and for Quad forget it, with the matrix stuff just no comparison so when it came time to embark upon CD-4 it was time for it to go.
if i were in your situation (particularly knowing you have plans to ultimately go CD-4) i'd go for a full refund and seek an alternative.
ideally a turntable with greater potential for fine adjustment, an arm you can easily swap out headshells on for different carts and one with better speed stability (the w&f on my Debut was laughable compared to the Technics and my earlier recordings were plagued with hum and motor noise) but its just my twopennuth.. meantime, i hope you can resolve things to your satisfaction and best of luck whatever you decide to do 😻
Now we're getting somewhere!

This is the kind of info I need! - Hard core, take no prisoners, get outa my f***n' way truth be told!

My dilemma is I really want a Technics TT, they're just so damn expensive (remember- tight wad Wally here😁)
I may just have to breakdown and double my budget for one, but that's gonna hurt. I have felt all these fancy newer "award winning" TTs look like cheap plastic junk to me; and this fiasco has only reinforced that opinion.

OK, so what's the least expensive quality Technics out there with the features Adam laid out above?

And having Ralph saying I'm being dramatic - Seriously dude - Mr. Oscar winning De Niro of Quadraphonicquad!:hi

Now we're getting somewhere!

This is the kind of info I need! - Hard core, take no prisoners, get outa my f***n' way truth be told!
My dilemma is I really want a Technics TT, they're just so damn expensive (remember- tight wad Wally here😁)
I may just have to breakdown and double my budget for one, but that's gonna hurt. I have felt all these fancy newer "award winning" TTs look like cheap plastic junk to me; and this fiasco has only reinforced that opinion.

OK, so what's the least expensive quality Technics out there with the features Adam laid out above?

And having Ralph saying I'm being dramatic - Seriously dude - Mr. Oscar winning De Niro of Quadraphonicquad!:hi

could i sway you to go for something along the lines of a gently used (one careful laddie/lady owner!) SL1200? 🤗

Sure, have you got one for sale? The problem is, most of the used ones look like beat to crap by DJs!

well there is that.. i guess you somehow have to separate the wheat from the chaff! 🤩
much as i could do with some extra Christmas dosh, unfortunately you can't have mine right now, i still heartily enjoy it to this very day.. but 'twas about as spanky as the day it was born when it arrived 'used not abused' from an online seller fella (all he does is flog reconditioned Technics decks).. came in a sturdy outer box, in its original packaging with the old instructions, rubber mat, felt/DJ mat, 45 adaptor, overhang gauge, extra wee counterweight, lid mercifully intact, headshell fitted with an Ortofon OME to get me going, all for under 500 smackers, once i went black i never looked back (its an SL1210Mk2, all black and sexy!) 😁😎🥳😘

I'm actually really happy with my SL-Q6. It doesn't look like much, but it's a linear tracker (which makes some of the finer adjustments irrelevant), has quartz-locked speed control and works for CD-4 with the cheap AT331LP I put in it years ago. It's probably 30 years old now and I just had to spend $30 to replace a belt, but it's still working fine.

I'm actually really happy with my SL-Q6. It doesn't look like much, but it's a linear tracker (which makes some of the finer adjustments irrelevant), has quartz-locked speed control and works for CD-4 with the cheap AT331LP I put in it years ago. It's probably 30 years old now and I just had to spend $30 to replace a belt, but it's still working fine.
Hey @atrocity, have you ever done business with the shop here in town called "Turntables Unlimited"; I bought my pre-amp there decades ago but I've seen mixed reviews online about that place?

Back