Focusrite Scarlett review - STAY AWAY!!!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely intrigued by that Tascam, the price is reasonable also IMO, the SD cards are an extra cost, but my Computer has built-in slots for those and I've had some Tascam gear in the past that was decent.

I've got a new MOTU UltraLite-mk4 I use with Win. 7 Pro. via USB 2.0; just started learning this sort of transfer, so I have limited experience to relay here on this thread. I've just been converting direct analog from my Surround Master v2 and out USB to the computer to make Up-mixes. Hopefully some conversions from QS/SQ and CD-4's in the future. So far so good. The only glitch I've had was having several apps open at once (i.e. AA3, Audacity & Foobar200) and something tied up the audio for monitoring and I wasn't getting any sound. Had to shut everything down and re-boot and it was fine again. Just a re-boot can do wonders (but yeah, still a hassle.)
I'm a little nervous about Microsoft shutting off support for Win. 7; because it's been a decent OS for me. However the Wasapi sound drivers for multi-channel are a joke IMO; just can't get it to work with the apps.
My reasons for ordering a Tascam DR-680Mkii are threefold. Firstly, its a stand-alone piece of kit so I can move it around, my Reel-to-Reels (stereo only :() are in another room, and most of my other analogue kit is as well, and is simple to connect. Secondly no software compatibility issues, I can easily plug the SDcards into my PCs or laptop, and it allegedly connects via USB as well (I suspect you can only see the memory card), and thirdly, new amps etc. no longer have multichannel inputs, and a lot now have no multichannel outputs either, so it allows me to 'play about' independently of the amp. A plus having run into big issues with my NUC on HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 and my amp which only handles HDMI 1.4/HDCP 1.4 so no video or sound unless I go through the Oppo (HDMI HDCP converters don't work)! Plus the Tascam is a 'reasonable' price. I may get a 'proper' multi-channel PC interface later when I'm more in the mood for some frustration :ROFLMAO:

My Tascam DR-680Mkii (and cables) arrived on Friday afternoon but I'm out the country all next week so haven't had time to play with it yet, hopefully next weekend

I’m doing the Clash - Black Market Clash next. Original EP has not appeared on CD. And I have the nicer sounding 12” not just the common 10” pressing. Nice sounding record.

I never knew there was a 12" pressing!

You're right that the original version has never been released on CD, but there is "Super Black Market Clash", which has all the original tracks as well as a bunch of extra ones.

I bought a few nicer high-end adaptor connectors - and since the signal to noise ratio is so much nicer (way low noise compared to cards used previously). I am not hearing or worried about any noise, nor hum, no nothing here!!!

Thank you. I got confused looking for adaptor cables/connectors and finally just gave up since I don't have the recorder yet anyway.

I never knew there was a 12" pressing!

You're right that the original version has never been released on CD, but there is "Super Black Market Clash", which has all the original tracks as well as a bunch of extra ones.
Yes the Super Black Market Clash on double 10” has additional tracks, but I’m told it’s missing some material from the original. But it could be simply some of mixes are different. I need to research that. But I absolutely love doing drops from vinyl when there is not an exact issue on CD, and my drop turns out sounding really nice.

There was a 12” with vinyl with stunning fidelity, I love mine and found one fora friend for $1.99 on eBay - MN LP with slight worn cover - sounds really great.

Thank you. I got confused looking for adaptor cables/connectors and finally just gave up since I don't have the recorder yet anyway.

I’ll post pictures, and the first set of adaptors I got were too thick and did not plug in with one in the next channel side by side. I returned them to Amatron in Hollywood and got different model that is a fine fit for the unit.

My high res digital recording of vinyl is an extension of my childhood taping hobby. I started out on my tiny reel to reel on my 9th birthday. Scratchy bubblegum 45s mixed with Apple 45s (recorded off a G.E, battery powered phono), I was quite eclectic then having gotten the White Album for Christmas at 8 years old. I thought Piggies, Bungalow Bill, and Blackbird were animal songs made just for kids like me. Oh and then the Get Back single arrived that summer along with Honky Tonk Women, and I was hooked for life. Beatles and Stones are the bedrock of who I am musically.

Oh I got off track there sorry, I meant to say that I bought my Tascam 6-track recorder as a birthday present to myself - connecting it in my mind to that first recorder I ever had, just a continuation of those 45s and that music that I recorded from records. It’s all a thread that runs through life to me.

Yes the Super Black Market Clash on double 10” has additional tracks, but I’m told it’s missing some material from the original. But it could be simply some of mixes are different. I need to research that. But I absolutely love doing drops from vinyl when there is not an exact issue on CD, and my drop turns out sounding really nice.

There was a 12” with vinyl with stunning fidelity, I love mine and found one fora friend for $1.99 on eBay - MN LP with slight worn cover - sounds really great.

You made me look. According to Wikipedia, the CD is, as you hint, NOT just the 10" with added tracks. Even the tracks they share in common aren't the same versions in every case, so I guess I need to digitize mine as well.

I’ll post pictures, and the first set of adaptors I got were too thick and did not plug in with one in the next channel side by side. I returned them to Amatron in Hollywood and got different model that is a fine fit for the unit.

Thank you! I'm trying to save up enough credit card points to get that recorder for "free".

My high res digital recording of vinyl is an extension of my childhood taping hobby.

We are frighteningly alike. I used to go so far as to stock up on the large hub 7" reels that were commonly used for pre-recorded tapes and copy vinyl to reels with one side of the record on one side of the tape. If side one was longer than side two, I'd pad the beginning of side one of the tape with dead space so there'd be minimal wait between the two sides. I had (and still have!) an auto-reverse deck and could be pretty obsessive about taking maximum advantage of it. Two 1800' reels would generally wind up as two of those large-hub reels with one album each. I wonder how many stock Maxell reels I tossed out after re-spooling the tape. Maybe I blew the chance to make big bucks in 2019 by selling them to a collector!

For many years, I have been happily recording and creating dvd-a and flac conversions with the use of M-Audio hardware. I picked up a Delta 1010-lt many years ago, and somewhere along the way I also picked up a Delta 44 to add to a 2nd computer. Both have been used in conversions. The 1010lt is also used in my internet radio/video streaming hobbies.

Unfortunately, M-Audio hasn't released an updated driver for either of these products since 3/15/2012, for Windows 7. Over 7 years ago now. The driver does technically work in Windows 10, but as time has marched on, problems arised, and have only gotten worse, not better.

I don't know if it's using 7 year old drivers in an OS version that wasn't even conceived of when it was developed, or using a PCI device on a motherboard that basically tacked it on with little thought since that is rarer and rarer these days. At this point, Windows 10 has been updated so many times, it's not the same OS it was when it was launched. So, with my computer crashing often during streams, I've come to the realization that the M-Audio will have to be replaced. The only solution to continue using it trouble free would be to roll back to Windows 7 (which is ending support), and even then, the problems started with this motherboard, so I'd really need to build an older machine with parts to the liking of this card.

Now, on the one hand, I've had 2 M-Audio devices that have served me well for many years. On the other....their lack of support for their perfectly working devices is a major factor that has contributed to my being forced to replace hardware, which is otherwise still functioning as designed. I absolutely detest the forced obsolescence of today's society, and since M-Audio has refused to support their paying customers, I will no longer be a paying customer of theirs. They are out, I will never buy another M-Audio device as long as I live, since I cannot rely on them to support their products. What if they end of life the model I decide to purchase the day after I purchase it? Yes....a rather unlikely extreme example, but what if they do it a few months, or a year later? I'd like at least a solid 10 years, and I do not feel confident that I can count on that from them.

So, I did some research. And I started looking at the focusrite scarlet interfaces, and the tascam interfaces. Given the specs and documentation, I felt both options would meet my needs, but I was still concerned about support being pulled on the devices, and being in the same situation in a year or less. So I put it to their sales department....what can you guarantee as far as a timeframe of support? Of course, no one will give any guarantees. Buy it today....maybe it will still work tomorrow? But, at least focusrite was able to point to many examples of longevity in software support, and continued support for lines of products which were no longer in production. So, I went with them.

HUGE mistake!!!!

First of all, right out of the box, the thing wouldn't output any sound without being jumpy or jittery. Now, my computer isn't the newest, but it's a pretty damn solid machine. The motherboard is 4 years old, the processor is an AMD 8 core (not really 8 core according to class action lawsuit emails I received recently, but I new that already) processor, 32GB of RAM, I built this thing to be solid and last. Focusrite support, which did not call me back after I opened a ticket and had to be chased down, were not very forthcoming with answers. They blamed drivers, tried to install an older driver that wasn't compatible with my device at all, suggested that updates are being developed, suggested rolling back to a previous Windows 10 version, which made no sense to me at all. From searching their site, I found information about testing for latency issues, and did the testing and it did indicate there might be latency issues. So I called back their support with this info, but they were still not helpful. Suggested updating chipset drivers for the motherboard....but I already had the latest drivers.

So....if you have a 4 year old motherboard, your out of luck? Their device can't handle 4 year old USB ports? I have LOTS of other devices that work fine with them.

Anyways, I figured, ok, if it's the USB ports and/or drivers that's the issue....maybe new USB ports? I happened to have a PCI-E USB add on card, threw it in, plugged it in there.....latency problem fixed.

You may notice, each step of the way I asked their support from help, got little response, chased them down, and got wrong or unhelpful answers, and basically had to figure it out myself.

But still, not done.

Now, for streaming purposes, I setup multiple audio programs to use different pairs of inputs and outputs on interfaces. M-Audio would break out the inputs and outputs to stereo pairs in the windows audio devices. I'm told many other interfaces do this as well. Focusrite does not do this basic functionality. Which left me completely out of luck for actually using the inputs and outputs the device has. It just completely baffles me that this functionality wouldn't be there to start with. And...they are on the 3rd generation of devices, and in the time they've been producing USB interfaces, it never occurred to them to add this functionality? I can't be the only one asking for this. Any streaming friends I mentioned this to were completely shocked that an interface wouldn't have this basic functionality.

Focusrite support did suggest software solutions to act as a middle man to break out the inputs and outputs. I did have some luck with that....but the software would only break out 1 pair of inputs and ouputs. But I found it very unintuitive, lacking in clear documentation, and also forcing wrong sample rates and overriding my settings. I never got it to completely work, and even if I did, that would have only gotten me 1 additional in and out to the one windows defaulted to. I need to have 3 stereo pairs of ins and outs for my streaming purposes.

Ok....but maybe at least I have a decent quadraphonic recording device?

Well, I decided to give that a test run this weekend.

So I went with the 8i6. It has 2 xlr/1/4" mic pre/line inputs on the front with level knobs, and 4 1/4" inputs on the back. Since the 4 on the back are all of the same type, I figured it would be best to use those for my quad recording. So I connected into that, and found that the levels were low. Extremely low. Like, peaking at -25dB low. And the software has absolutely NO settings for those inputs. Only settings I have are to set the fronts to be for mic or line, and to add a pad to some of them. No level adjustment. One stationary level set, that is way too low for any line level device.

So....with a lack of basic functionality, lack of decent or knowledgeable support, and lack of ability to simply record 4 channels of line level audio at a decent level, this has been a complete and total failure, not to mention a huge waste of time, and nightmare!

I will NEVER in my life buy another focusrite product ever again!

They can be added to the black list:

Lexicon
M-Audio
Focusrite

So...I'm back to battling the M-audio for now, while figure out what to try next. Not sure where to next. But just wanted to warn everyone what a piece of shit the focusrite boxes are.

For many years, I have been happily recording and creating dvd-a and flac conversions with the use of M-Audio hardware. I picked up a Delta 1010-lt many years ago, and somewhere along the way I also picked up a Delta 44 to add to a 2nd computer. Both have been used in conversions. The 1010lt is also used in my internet radio/video streaming hobbies.

Unfortunately, M-Audio hasn't released an updated driver for either of these products since 3/15/2012, for Windows 7. Over 7 years ago now. The driver does technically work in Windows 10, but as time has marched on, problems arised, and have only gotten worse, not better.

I don't know if it's using 7 year old drivers in an OS version that wasn't even conceived of when it was developed, or using a PCI device on a motherboard that basically tacked it on with little thought since that is rarer and rarer these days. At this point, Windows 10 has been updated so many times, it's not the same OS it was when it was launched. So, with my computer crashing often during streams, I've come to the realization that the M-Audio will have to be replaced. The only solution to continue using it trouble free would be to roll back to Windows 7 (which is ending support), and even then, the problems started with this motherboard, so I'd really need to build an older machine with parts to the liking of this card.

Now, on the one hand, I've had 2 M-Audio devices that have served me well for many years. On the other....their lack of support for their perfectly working devices is a major factor that has contributed to my being forced to replace hardware, which is otherwise still functioning as designed. I absolutely detest the forced obsolescence of today's society, and since M-Audio has refused to support their paying customers, I will no longer be a paying customer of theirs. They are out, I will never buy another M-Audio device as long as I live, since I cannot rely on them to support their products. What if they end of life the model I decide to purchase the day after I purchase it? Yes....a rather unlikely extreme example, but what if they do it a few months, or a year later? I'd like at least a solid 10 years, and I do not feel confident that I can count on that from them.

So, I did some research. And I started looking at the focusrite scarlet interfaces, and the tascam interfaces. Given the specs and documentation, I felt both options would meet my needs, but I was still concerned about support being pulled on the devices, and being in the same situation in a year or less. So I put it to their sales department....what can you guarantee as far as a timeframe of support? Of course, no one will give any guarantees. Buy it today....maybe it will still work tomorrow? But, at least focusrite was able to point to many examples of longevity in software support, and continued support for lines of products which were no longer in production. So, I went with them.

HUGE mistake!!!!

First of all, right out of the box, the thing wouldn't output any sound without being jumpy or jittery. Now, my computer isn't the newest, but it's a pretty damn solid machine. The motherboard is 4 years old, the processor is an AMD 8 core (not really 8 core according to class action lawsuit emails I received recently, but I new that already) processor, 32GB of RAM, I built this thing to be solid and last. Focusrite support, which did not call me back after I opened a ticket and had to be chased down, were not very forthcoming with answers. They blamed drivers, tried to install an older driver that wasn't compatible with my device at all, suggested that updates are being developed, suggested rolling back to a previous Windows 10 version, which made no sense to me at all. From searching their site, I found information about testing for latency issues, and did the testing and it did indicate there might be latency issues. So I called back their support with this info, but they were still not helpful. Suggested updating chipset drivers for the motherboard....but I already had the latest drivers.

So....if you have a 4 year old motherboard, your out of luck? Their device can't handle 4 year old USB ports? I have LOTS of other devices that work fine with them.

Anyways, I figured, ok, if it's the USB ports and/or drivers that's the issue....maybe new USB ports? I happened to have a PCI-E USB add on card, threw it in, plugged it in there.....latency problem fixed.

You may notice, each step of the way I asked their support from help, got little response, chased them down, and got wrong or unhelpful answers, and basically had to figure it out myself.

But still, not done.

Now, for streaming purposes, I setup multiple audio programs to use different pairs of inputs and outputs on interfaces. M-Audio would break out the inputs and outputs to stereo pairs in the windows audio devices. I'm told many other interfaces do this as well. Focusrite does not do this basic functionality. Which left me completely out of luck for actually using the inputs and outputs the device has. It just completely baffles me that this functionality wouldn't be there to start with. And...they are on the 3rd generation of devices, and in the time they've been producing USB interfaces, it never occurred to them to add this functionality? I can't be the only one asking for this. Any streaming friends I mentioned this to were completely shocked that an interface wouldn't have this basic functionality.

Focusrite support did suggest software solutions to act as a middle man to break out the inputs and outputs. I did have some luck with that....but the software would only break out 1 pair of inputs and ouputs. But I found it very unintuitive, lacking in clear documentation, and also forcing wrong sample rates and overriding my settings. I never got it to completely work, and even if I did, that would have only gotten me 1 additional in and out to the one windows defaulted to. I need to have 3 stereo pairs of ins and outs for my streaming purposes.

Ok....but maybe at least I have a decent quadraphonic recording device?

Well, I decided to give that a test run this weekend.

So I went with the 8i6. It has 2 xlr/1/4" mic pre/line inputs on the front with level knobs, and 4 1/4" inputs on the back. Since the 4 on the back are all of the same type, I figured it would be best to use those for my quad recording. So I connected into that, and found that the levels were low. Extremely low. Like, peaking at -25dB low. And the software has absolutely NO settings for those inputs. Only settings I have are to set the fronts to be for mic or line, and to add a pad to some of them. No level adjustment. One stationary level set, that is way too low for any line level device.

So....with a lack of basic functionality, lack of decent or knowledgeable support, and lack of ability to simply record 4 channels of line level audio at a decent level, this has been a complete and total failure, not to mention a huge waste of time, and nightmare!

I will NEVER in my life buy another focusrite product ever again!

They can be added to the black list:

Lexicon
M-Audio
Focusrite

So...I'm back to battling the M-audio for now, while figure out what to try next. Not sure where to next. But just wanted to warn everyone what a piece of shit the focusrite boxes are.
I don't know Jonathan. I've been using 2 different Focusrite 18i20 (2nd and 3rd generation) with windows 10 and 11 on a computer that is well over 4 years old. And a laptop thatbis about 2 years. I believe my desktop is probably 10 years old. They both work stellar for me. Great sound and really easy to use. No issues.

Glad they work for you. I ended up going with a behringer u-phoria umc404hd. Between the focusrite's lack of functionality with my mobo's onboard usb ports (which the behringer has no issue with), the various wrong answers from support, the lack of ability to easily run live sound with different apps for a live stream, the low levels and lack of level adjustments....I've found them to be horribly limited devices. They're clearly designed for a specific application with little thought about flexibility in functionality. The focusrite left me frustrated and unable to do anything I was trying to do. The behringer worked great out of the box and gets it done. That's the bottom line for me - I have no use for anything focusrite makes, behringer actually provided functionality where focusrite failed.

I know this is an older thread...
Still relevant info for people though I think.

M-Audio audio interfaces are kind of a ringer for what was an intentionally budget interface to begin with and then abandoned very quickly. These aren't just grifter products like some HDMI interface on Amazon. Still best to avoid IMHO. They need proprietary drivers and support will be a PITA at best.

Focusrite have a few complaints with some of their analog input stages. Specifically the instrument DI inputs on the early models will go into distortion easily. Moot point if you're using it for just the outputs for a home theater system. Or using the line inputs or mic preamp inputs.

Many audio interfaces use what's called a class compliant driver. Meaning it's built into the OS. WindowsOS doesn't include much support for this historically. That leads to unique drivers needed for Windows for these products and a challenge to support.

M-Audio being a ringer of an exception, most USB connecting audio interfaces will work well and have any needed drivers available and that includes WindowsOS. USB is absolutely fine for just normal recording or capturing line level audio from other analog devices and general home theater use. The more expensive firewire or thunderbolt connecting interfaces are putting effort into low latency for running live sound. The inputs of course are for recording which is a wholy moot point for home theater playback use. Mic preamps would be a moot point for capturing line level audio. Choose the interface with the ins and outs you actually need. And if there was one single model to avoid, I'd say it's M-Audio!

FYI, keeping multiple OS installations on multiple partitions on your hard drive is a thing. Tell me to throw away functional hardware because of your software faux pas?! I don't think so! Keep that older OS install and boot into it as needed. That might turn into a PITA depending. But it's an option that doesn't cost anything.

I have to admit that Behringer UMC-1820 interface is the most bang for the buck I've ever seen. 8 Midas mic preamps and 10 analog output channels for $280.

Their built in cuemx mixer is both crude and surprisingly useful if you need a seperate monitor mixer for recording overdubs. Moot point for home theater use.

Found this discussion interesting. First off, I’m still using a Delta 44 as the front end for ProTools on my Mac and it works without issue. Qualifier: the Mac is the G4 MDD which you folks would consider ancient. It is the set up I’ve used to digitize my Q8s And I still do audio production on it today.

Had some experience with Focusrite and found nothing lacking there also. My other set up is a PreSonus 1818 along with a Behringer interface ( via light pipe) into Auria on my iPad Pro for 16 plus tracks all on USB for live multitrack recording. No issues there other than operator error.

Point being, all of my stuff was intended for particular uses which they all serve well. Yeah, an interface is an interface - or is it? Example: a 2 seater private plane works to fly you wherever. But if it’s intended to land on a paved runway w/o issue, do you really expect it to work the same way on a groomed grass runway without issue? It may or may not.

The other thing that occurs is trusting the PC you do internet and word processing tasks with to also do multitrack audio at the same time is perhaps unwise. Popular wisdom for a long time has been you should have a machine dedicated to audio only - no other tasks are required to be run at the same time.

Not saying anyone on this thread is wrong in what they’ve said or what they are trying to accomplish. Just be prepared for issues when attempting to do what you want to do. A solution is out there for your particular needs. Be patient, you will succeed.

Glad they work for you. I ended up going with a behringer u-phoria umc404hd. Between the focusrite's lack of functionality with my mobo's onboard usb ports (which the behringer has no issue with), the various wrong answers from support, the lack of ability to easily run live sound with different apps for a live stream, the low levels and lack of level adjustments....I've found them to be horribly limited devices. They're clearly designed for a specific application with little thought about flexibility in functionality. The focusrite left me frustrated and unable to do anything I was trying to do. The behringer worked great out of the box and gets it done. That's the bottom line for me - I have no use for anything focusrite makes, behringer actually provided functionality where focusrite failed.
Hopefully things will continue to work as you desire. My experience with Behringer has been very hit and miss. Some of their gear works great for a very long time, other gear - not so much (portable 8 channel mixer and various amps come to mind as failing early without apparent abuse from the user).

The Behrnger manufactured Midas designed X32 series mixer/interface products are a completely different company from anything else in the past with the Behringer name. Apples vs rotten oranges. Behringer was absolutely synonymous with garbage in the past. Put a piece of tape over he name decal if you have to. These are Midas products and they kind of nailed this one.

The last MacOS a PPC G4 would run is 10.5, FYI. Probably a few Linux builds possible though. Most of the security threats in question require physical access and are aimed at servers connected to customer credit card databases. Not someone's surround collection on their old G4. :D

Was 10.6 64-bit only, at least on the PowerPC side?
10.15 is the first MacOS that is 64 bit only. ie Dropped support for 32 bit apps and they will not run. 32 bit up to 10.14. 10.6 was in the early days of 64 bit apps. Can't remember the first one to support 64 bit.

Keep those old system installs around if you have some older useful 32 bit apps!

I keep 3 partitions on my laptop SSD now. 10.6.8, 10.13.6, & 12.5 (currently the latest). 10.13 is my daily driver.

Back