Heaven & Earth, Refuge.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the Lion-LP-114 edition I recently bought, and I believe it is produced in 2011. Although it is marked as Quadraphonic QS both on cover and record I suspect that this is no quad record. Can anyone confirm this?

This is the Lion-LP-114 edition I recently bought, and I believe it is produced in 2011. Although it is marked as Quadraphonic QS both on cover and record I suspect that this is no quad record. Can anyone confirm this?
Refuge was only released QS encoded so all stereo recordings carry the matrix encoding

I have the CD release on Lion and the cover and booklet says QS and quadraphonic many times. Do not see any remix indication. So I'd say it is QS encoded quad. Listening to this CD also sounds like QS. Some/most of the bonus tracks would not be QS.

Last edited:

I have both the original '72 LP & like Vinylguy4 also the 2011 Lion CD re-relaese. I have compared multiple times & the CD mix & decoded soundfield matches the LP. Only better no ticks or hiss! It sounds great on a SM v2 & I'm sure a QSD-1 would do it justice. Really I think the CD is the one to have; with a great picture book, history of the group (which one is Heaven? Which one is Earth?) & a whopping 15 bonus tracks! Was any of this included with new vinyl LP? I am very pleased
as well as curious how someone in Norway discovered this quirky album & finds it appealing.

But wouldn't it be nice to have this:
H_E REFUGE 4.jpg

I dug out my copy and am now listening to side 2.
Very nice music recorded well.
On the record the bass is very strong. I will have to look for the CD reissue. My album is a promo but a lot of scratches and noise...

Thanks Sonik for the tip about the CD edition. There are two different cd releases. You want the one from Lion with all the bonus tracks and booklets. Luckily I found a copy on discogs.....

Thanks Sonik for the tip about the CD edition. There are two different cd releases. You want the one from Lion with all the bonus tracks and booklets. Luckily I found a copy on discogs.....
Well then, I wasn't aware there was two choices. Good of you to mention it.
Ya know this isn't the greatest album ever. It's quirky with simple lyrics. But there is something very appealing to me about it. It's stood the time for my appreciation.

There is an official (but long not updated ) website for Heaven and Earth Music. A lot of the material is duplicated in the CD booklet but for those that don't have it's worth checking out.

I have both the original '72 LP & like Vinylguy4 also the 2011 Lion CD re-relaese. I have compared multiple times & the CD mix & decoded soundfield matches the LP. Only better no ticks or hiss! It sounds great on a SM v2 & I'm sure a QSD-1 would do it justice. Really I think the CD is the one to have; with a great picture book, history of the group (which one is Heaven? Which one is Earth?) & a whopping 15 bonus tracks! Was any of this included with new vinyl LP? I am very pleased
as well as curious how someone in Norway discovered this quirky album & finds it appealing.

But wouldn't it be nice to have this:
View attachment 44027
Hi. I found this LP in Ballard, Seattle where my daughter lives. There are a couple of good record stores there; used and new records. I have been collecting quad records, sq, qs and CD-4, for a number of years now. The decoders I have are Tate 101A, QSD-1, JVC CD-10 and a Technics SH-3434 Scope.

Hi. I found this LP in Ballard, Seattle where my daughter lives. There are a couple of good record stores there; used and new records. I have been collecting quad records, sq, qs and CD-4, for a number of years now. The decoders I have are Tate 101A, QSD-1, JVC CD-10 and a Technics SH-3434 Scope.

It seems right to bump this & offer my favorite tune not on the original LP. Sorry friends it's just from YouTube Home for Christmas.Go buy the CD.
The YouTube version is still QS encoded & the fidelity is better on the CD but the soundfield matches on the SM.

This is certainly one of those 'lost' albums that deserved better public acknowledgment. What surprised me was that it was released here in the UK on Decca's 'London' label.

Decca were known for high quality, flat pressings, would be interesting to pick up a clean copy.

Back