2020 Grammy for Immersive Audio - 2L's Morten Lindburg Finally Wins!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Why was The White Album not nominated?! It's The Beatles for crying out loud!
(Note: anything released after August 2019 missed this year's nomination cutoff, so hopefully "Abbey Road" in Dolby Atmos will be amongst the nominees for the 2021 Immersive Audio Grammys!)

72. Best Immersive Audio Album
For vocal or instrumental albums in any genre. Must be commercially released on DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, SACD, Blu-Ray, or burned download-only/streaming-only copies and must provide a new surround mix of four or more channels. Award to the surround mix engineer, surround producer (if any) and surround mastering engineer (if any).
  • CHAIN TRIPPING
    Luke Argilla, immersive audio engineer; Jurgen Scharpf, immersive audio mastering engineer; Jona Bechtolt, Claire L. Evans & Rob Kieswetter, immersive audio producers (Yacht)
  • KVERNDOKK: SYMPHONIC DANCES
    Jim Anderson, immersive audio engineer; Robert C. Ludwig, immersive audio mastering engineer; Ulrike Schwarz, immersive audio producer (Ken-David Masur & Stavanger Symphony Orchestra)
  • LUX
    Morten Lindberg, immersive audio engineer; Morten Lindberg, immersive audio mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, immersive audio producer (Anita Brevik, Trondheimsolistene & Nidarosdomens Jentekor)
  • THE ORCHESTRAL ORGAN
    Keith O. Johnson, immersive audio engineer; Keith O. Johnson, immersive audio mastering engineer; Marina A. Ledin & Victor Ledin, immersive audio producers (Jan Kraybill)
  • THE SAVIOR
    Bob Clearmountain, immersive audio engineer; Bob Ludwig, immersive audio mastering engineer; Michael Marquart & Dave Way, immersive audio producers (A Bad Think)

Oof. Well, Morton "Always a Bridesmaid" Lindberg certainly deserves some recognition for LJOS--even though, unusually for him, it doesn't include an Atmos or Auro 3-D mix (which is why they changed the category to "immersive audio" to begin with). I haven't heard the other ones, so I can't speak to those.

But I think one of the things we established about this category (and other "small" categories) in past years' discussions is that the Recording Academy doesn't actually seek out deserving nominees; rather, the labels have to formally put forward their releases for consideration. Hard to believe Universal wouldn't have submitted Abbey Road. But maybe being able to tout the set as "Grammy Award-winning" a year-plus later wasn't ever part of their marketing plan.

Last edited:
Why was The White Album not nominated?! It's The Beatles for crying out loud!
(Note: anything released after August 2019 missed this year's nomination cutoff, so hopefully "Abbey Road" in Dolby Atmos will be amongst the nominees for the 2021 Immersive Audio Grammys!)

72. Best Immersive Audio Album
For vocal or instrumental albums in any genre. Must be commercially released on DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, SACD, Blu-Ray, or burned download-only/streaming-only copies and must provide a new surround mix of four or more channels. Award to the surround mix engineer, surround producer (if any) and surround mastering engineer (if any).
  • CHAIN TRIPPING
    Luke Argilla, immersive audio engineer; Jurgen Scharpf, immersive audio mastering engineer; Jona Bechtolt, Claire L. Evans & Rob Kieswetter, immersive audio producers (Yacht)
  • KVERNDOKK: SYMPHONIC DANCES
    Jim Anderson, immersive audio engineer; Robert C. Ludwig, immersive audio mastering engineer; Ulrike Schwarz, immersive audio producer (Ken-David Masur & Stavanger Symphony Orchestra)
  • LUX
    Morten Lindberg, immersive audio engineer; Morten Lindberg, immersive audio mastering engineer; Morten Lindberg, immersive audio producer (Anita Brevik, Trondheimsolistene & Nidarosdomens Jentekor)
  • THE ORCHESTRAL ORGAN
    Keith O. Johnson, immersive audio engineer; Keith O. Johnson, immersive audio mastering engineer; Marina A. Ledin & Victor Ledin, immersive audio producers (Jan Kraybill)
  • THE SAVIOR
    Bob Clearmountain, immersive audio engineer; Bob Ludwig, immersive audio mastering engineer; Michael Marquart & Dave Way, immersive audio producers (A Bad Think)
Never really thought that hard about Grammys; but does this have anything to do with it (sorry for my ignorance on this?)

It is considered one of the four major annual American entertainment awards along with the Academy Awards (film), the Emmy Awards (television), and the Tony Awards (theater).

Last edited:
Every year at this time, most here lament the Grammy awards ignorance and lack of recognition for our QQ faves. Fair enough. You can use the search box above to query Surround Grammy from previous years and pretty much read the same comments ad infinitum.

I find it interesting that this year, not a single surround/immersive nominee is from a major label.

BTW, for those that say that they have never heard of any of these releases, both Chain Tripping & The Savior have been discussed substantively on this forum. Chain Tripping by Yacht is an alternative electro/dance recording with an excellent mix. The Savior by A Bad Think is a progressive concept album available as a download. I haven’t heard it but from what others have said here, it is credible.

The Savior by A Bad Think is a progressive concept album available as a download. I haven’t heard it but from what others have said here, it is credible.

I actually had the opportunity to meet Bob Clearmountain at the AES convention in New York City about a month ago - he mentioned this as a project he really enjoyed working on and recommended that I seek it out. I've since heard it and it's excellent. Sort of floyd-ish melodic prog with lots of synths in the rears. Definitely worth a listen :)

I actually had the opportunity to meet Bob Clearmountain at the AES convention in New York City about a month ago - he mentioned this as a project he really enjoyed working on and recommended that I seek it out. I've since heard it and it's excellent. Sort of floyd-ish melodic prog with lots of synths in the rears. Definitely worth a listen :)
Sounds like one I need to check out and are the drums mixed mainly in the center channel :whistle:?

Every year at this time, most here lament the Grammy awards ignorance and lack of recognition for our QQ faves. Fair enough. You can use the search box above to query Surround Grammy from previous years and pretty much read the same comments ad infinitum.

I find it interesting that this year, not a single surround/immersive nominee is from a major label.

BTW, for those that say that they have never heard of any of these releases, both Chain Tripping & The Savior have been discussed substantively on this forum. Chain Tripping by Yacht is an alternative electro/dance recording with an excellent mix. The Savior by A Bad Think is a progressive concept album available as a download. I haven’t heard it but from what others have said here, it is credible.
I have a bit more appreciation for the Grammy Awards then most here. I listen to so little mainstream music that this is a Readers Digest way to get caught up. It's the way, some time ago, I discovered Alicia Keys, Beck, & re-discovered Daft Punk and others.
Thanks for the info on Chain Tripping & The Savior. I will look into it.

So...I'm sure all of the nominees are better sounding and better mixed than the White Album. There's only so much you can pull out of a old tape like that. So I kind of dissent from the objection of "how dare they not nominate the most important surround mix of the year" (which the White Album clearly is). It's for best, not most popular.

But...that's also kind of BS and massively self-defeating. Does anyone really think the popular acts getting nominated in the mainstream categories are really the best? They're the ones with the industry behind them. And this is a seriously obscure list of nominees. Of the three classical nominees two are from Nordic composers who I've only heard of through this site, while the Orchestral Organ album looks more mainstream, but we're awash in organ transcriptions in surround (and frankly, I'm neutral on the whole genre). We need a few nominees who the broader public will recognize.

Back