PC player for DVD-Audio .iso available?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andi-999

Hi there,
I am able to create a DVD-A .iso image and the audio part of the image file can be played on my media PC with Foobar. But I cannot find a way to play the "full" DVD-A portion with stills, lyrics etc - is there a way?
Cheers,
Andreas

1) Cyberlink Power DVD in the past used to have a Dvd-Audio feature. Don't know for the current release.
2) Creative Audigy soundcard family had a DVD-Audio player bundled.

I find that VLC Media Player usually works--often for Blu-Ray .iso's too. (Depending upon the disc authoring, though, it can be a little finicky with menus. Not a perfect solution.)

Hi,
thanks for the feedback!

Power DVD - I have the recent version. Google search finds that DVD-A support had been pulled from the software at some point years ago. The current versions don't support it anymore :-(
Creative Audigy - hm, seems like additional hardware which I don't really need in my Media PC. Appears to be a little bit dated. Will do some more research on this, though.
VLC - appears to access the video layer only but not the DVD-A part. Can this be configured?

Cheers,
Andreas

I’m miffed about no DVD-A playing in Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 Ultra (if that’s your version?). I was just planning on picking this up on the upcoming Lemming sales rush!
🤬 When will the bloody indignation of our beloved ❤️ format ever cease!

• Sad
Reactions: GOS
I’m miffed about no DVD-A playing in Cyberlink PowerDVD 19 Ultra (if that’s your version?). I was just planning on picking this up on the upcoming Lemming sales rush!
🤬 When will the bloody indignation of our beloved ❤ format ever cease!

Ha ha, I just checked - support was pulled in version 10 (9 still had it). This was 9 years ago in 2010, time flies...

VLC - appears to access the video layer only but not the DVD-A part. Can this be configured?

That figures, I guess. Hopefully someone else knows about the possibility of playing the MLP layer.

As for PowerDVD 9: it was bundled with so many computers back in the day. Surely there are still hard copies of the software package still floating around out there?

I find that VLC Media Player usually works

Is VLC really playing the lossless MLP tracks or the DD/DTS? I use VLC all the time and don't want to sound like I hate it, but it frustrates me that when you click on the Audio tab to switch soundtracks it doesn't give you meaningful details about the format of those tracks. Maybe it's buried deeper in there somewhere.

That figures, I guess. Hopefully someone else knows about the possibility of playing the MLP layer.

As for PowerDVD 9: it was bundled with so many computers back in the day. Surely there are still hard copies of the software package still floating around out there?
LOL- As usual my PowerDVD is A-Typical at ver. 9.5; so I drop in a David Gray DVD-A and it starts up, and I select dts Surround from the menu and a little window pops up and informs me:
This version does not play Dolby Surround.
😲 What evil bastards come up with this crap?
:hi Happy Thanksgiving everyone!🎄

When Black Friday comes I'll be on that hill
You know I will...

Ok, the last two days I spent a signficant portion of my spare time researching this topic :)

VLC does NOT play the audio portion of the DVD, it's the video part.

I found actually a Power DVD 8 OEM version, bundled previously with my Blu-ray drive. The good news was that it could be installed in parallel with my current Power DVD Ultra version. However, it does NOT play the audio part, neither from iso image nor from physical disc. The problem is the CPPM copy protection. I get a message that I need to activate this function via the internet - what the heck!

So either there's a player software out there which is capable of playing the protected content or a DVD copy/clone tool which removes the CPRM protection while copying. I did not find a capable one. Some of the usual suspects had this function in the past but removed it in recent versions. Too bad!

Ok, the last two days I spent a signficant portion of my spare time researching this topic :)

VLC does NOT play the audio portion of the DVD, it's the video part.

I found actually a Power DVD 8 OEM version, bundled previously with my Blu-ray drive. The good news was that it could be installed in parallel with my current Power DVD Ultra version. However, it does NOT play the audio part, neither from iso image nor from physical disc. The problem is the CPPM copy protection. I get a message that I need to activate this function via the internet - what the heck!

So either there's a player software out there which is capable of playing the protected content or a DVD copy/clone tool which removes the CPRM protection while copying. I did not find a capable one. Some of the usual suspects had this function in the past but removed it in recent versions. Too bad!

Disappointing results, but thanks for doing the lab work...

Back