ELP Concert(s) - ATMOS (maybe no remix needed)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson,_Lake_&_Palmer^^^
"Their theatrics included Emerson playing a piano as it spun, suspended, end-over-end; Palmer playing on a rotating drum platform;
and a Hammond organ thrown around the stage to create feedback".

I was wondering if multichannel master recordings of these type of ELP concerts exist, it seems like
a natural for an ATMOS release (maybe audio only, maybe audio/video).

Kirk Bayne

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerson,_Lake_&_Palmer^^^
"Their theatrics included Emerson playing a piano as it spun, suspended, end-over-end; Palmer playing on a rotating drum platform;

I was wondering if multichannel master recordings of these type of ELP concerts exist, it seems like

Kirk Bayne

Interesting concept. I think you would need microphones spread all over the venue to capture the movement of the piano/organ...!

In my old age I find those performances so dated...

Worse, I find Led Zeppelin live tiring and over the top.

:cry:

Interesting concept. I think you would need microphones spread all over the venue to capture the movement of the piano/organ...!
the whole spinning piano was impossible to do with a functioning piano- too heavy and it would detune in a snap- so it was a tape playing in the background

Last edited:
The piano was fake.

And I don't think they did 'height' panning live back then. It could be done in an ATMOS mix though.

....Assuming any multitracks of the ELP BSS/'Welcome Back' tour survive, which is the million dollar question. Even the old quad masters for WBMF seem to have gone missing, along with their (Wally Heider) multi source. Otherwise surely we would have seen some re-release by now...?

Yes, I'd heard about ELP live shows (Youtube comment says that an electric piano was put in a grand piano box), just wanted to show that the idea of moving sounds around wasn't/isn't a Stereo or Quad mixing gimmick, it was done in live shows too.

There may be rights issues (California Jam) that would complicate an Atmos remix release though.

Kirk Bayne

Back