Gentle Giant - Unburied Treasure Box Set - 1st album in 5.1 - Steven Wilson mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have all of the released 5.1 sets as well as the two quads. I can't see buying this for a few more tracks from the debut album in surround. I also don't listen to enough GG to care too much about the live material. I'm only at that level with King Crimson and perhaps Yes. Disappointing. If it had all of the 5.1/4.0 that I have and I could have at least sold those off, I'd have been in.

Narrator: "He ordered it anyway."

I watched the band's unboxing video. Their enthusiasm was infectious and I suspected I'd regret it later if I didn't buy it now. Still annoyed that it doesn't encompass the surround mixes, though.

Narrator: "He ordered it anyway."

I watched the band's unboxing video. Their enthusiasm was infectious and I suspected I'd regret it later if I didn't buy it now. Still annoyed that it doesn't encompass the surround mixes, though.
I am a big gentle giant fan but I am definitely not interested. High costs and the fact it does not include the surround mixes including the quads.

Import CDs $316 / Amazon USA $299
Now, Bill Bruford limited his lavish box set, then printed more, and they still appear to be available. And 2 years later he is releasing the surround material in stand alone Remix Editions.
I will hold out for a stand alone CD + Bluray of their debut album with the complete SW mix - I prefer to remain solvent.

Now, Bill Bruford limited his lavish box set, then printed more, and they still appear to be available. And 2 years later he is releasing the surround material in stand alone Remix Editions.
I will hold out for a stand alone CD + Bluray of their debut album with the complete SW mix - I prefer to remain solvent.

Good news about Bruford's stand alone remixed editions. Those massive box sets are really getting MORE expensive and TEDIOUS....not to mention induce CLUTTER!

Good to hear that Bill Bruford is releasing "standalones" from his box set. Any more info about when these are coming out?

Feels Good To Me and One Of A Kind are both out by this Friday; and both count as part of Target's buy 2 get 1 free if you shop there.

Thanks a lot for the info; just put-in for both Feels Good To Me & One Of A Kind.

I know this is a site largely devoted to high res/surround mixes, but I think, with all due respect, that folks may be missing the point of the Giant box, which, in its inclusion of a bevy of live recordings, documents, along with Pete Reynolds’ fine remasters of the commercial discography, how terrific and how much the band evolved as a live act. Plus, between two books, there’s almost 240 pages of detailed history on the band.

It’s expensive, yes, but those comparing it to the Pink Floyd box (my review of that set was published yesterday) they are different beasts. Yes the Floyd is chockablock with CDs, DVDs and Blu Rays, but while there’s plenty of printed material it’s largely pictorial/imagery, with very little text beyond credits. Giant also includes plenty of material to read, which supplants Paul Stump’x mediocre Giant bio of some years back. Acquiring the Taste.

so, two different boxes, two different intentions. Both expensive, both providing value for money, though I think, as a fan of both groups, that you actually get more value with the Giant box, especially if you already have the Steven Wilson remixes separately.

For any interestEd, All About Jazz published my extensive review of the box a little over a week ago. You can read it here.

Last edited:
I know this is a site largeply devoted to high res/surround mixes, but I think, with all due respect, that folks may be missing the point of the Giant box, which, in its inclusion of a bevy of live recordings, documents, along with Pete Reynolds’ fine remasters of the commercial discography, how terrific and how much the band evolved as a live act. Please, between two books, there’s almost 240 pages of detailed history on the band.

For any interestEd, All About Jazz published my extensive review of the box a little over a week ago. You can read it here.

John, welcome here and love your very in depth music reviews that you write up. You are a gifted writer and thanks for sharing your thoughts on some of these big boxsets. I am sure the Gentle Giant box is a good one to get for the depth of unheard live recordings alone and I am not a big enough fan and since retiring I have to watch my spending more closely at this time. Your writeup did give me bigger appreciation of GG and what they accomplished in their brief time period.

I know this is a site largely devoted to high res/surround mixes, but I think, with all due respect, that folks may be missing the point of the Giant box, which, in its inclusion of a bevy of live recordings, documents, along with Pete Reynolds’ fine remasters of the commercial discography, how terrific and how much the band evolved as a live act. Plus, between two books, there’s almost 240 pages of detailed history on the band.

It’s expensive, yes, but those comparing it to the Pink Floyd box (my review of that set was published yesterday) they are different beasts. Yes the Floyd is chockablock with CDs, DVDs and Blu Rays, but while there’s plenty of printed material it’s largely pictorial/imagery, with very little text beyond credits. Giant also includes plenty of material to read, which supplants Paul Stump’x mediocre Giant bio of some years back. Acquiring the Taste.

so, two different boxes, two different intentions. Both expensive, both providing value for money, though I think, as a fan of both groups, that you actually get more value with the Giant box, especially if you already have the Steven Wilson remixes separately.

I agree with you that GG's Unburied Treasure is an excellent overview of the band's career (and it's evolution as a live act). I also read both of your fine reviews of both UT & Floyd's The Later Years sets. And as a big GG fan, I wish that I could afford their collection (I'm hoping that they consider doing a separate release of the First Album in SW's 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray).

John, welcome here and love your very in depth music reviews that you write up. You are a gifted writer and thanks for sharing your thoughts on some of these big boxsets. I am sure the Gentle Giant box is a good one to get for the depth of unheard live recordings alone and I am not a big enough fan and since retiring I have to watch my spending more closely at this time. Your writeup did give me bigger appreciation of GG and what they accomplished in their brief time period.
Thanks for the welcome, for the very kind words and, for that matter, for slogging it out and reading my, ahem, lengthy pieces :D

I understand that this, the Floyd box, and many others, these days are fast becoming far more expensive than the average fan can afford, but I appreciate that you still found the review useful. I don't know if you have any Giant material, but if not, you couldn't start at a better (and cheaper!) place than Steven Wilson's three separately available releases: Octopus, The Power and the Glory, and Three Piece Suite (which culls pieces from their first three albums, ostensibly because the full multi-tracks couldn't be found at the time). Those will certainly give you a good idea. Add the live Playing the Fool, and you get a very good idea of just how great (and different) they could be in concert. I was lucky enough to have seen them a number of times back in the day, but it's great to have some permanent documents.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words, and the kind welcome!
John

I agree with you that GG's Unburied Treasure is an excellent overview of the band's career (and it's evolution as a live act). I also read both of your fine reviews of both UT & Floyd's The Later Years sets. And as a big GG fan, I wish that I could afford their collection (I'm hoping that they consider doing a separate release of the First Album in SW's 5.1 mix on Blu-Ray).
As I said to Peter, I completely understand. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to acquire at least some of these pricey box sets by reviewing them. That said (and, perhaps, surprisingly), I still spend way too much on music...but I'm thankful to have a wife who understands my pathology....

And thanks, also, for reading my, er, exhaustive/exhausting articles! I really appreciate each and every person who takes the time to do so.

Just want to add my welcome and my admiration for your writing, John. For years I've enjoyed your work for AAJ, DownBeat, and other outlets.

As I said to Peter, I completely understand. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to acquire at least some of these pricey box sets by reviewing them. That said (and, perhaps, surprisingly), I still spend way too much on music...but I'm thankful to have a wife who understands my pathology....

And thanks, also, for reading my, er, exhaustive/exhausting articles! I really appreciate each and every person who takes the time to do so.

You're welcome John. And I didn't find the articles that you wrote exhaustive or exhausting (after all they're both about mega-box sets and both Pink Floyd & Gentle Giant deserve the treatments you gave them). Thanks for your hard work!

Back