Need Help With Sony UBP-X800 Audio Output

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LennonCobain

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
My UBP-X800 is driving me crazy! I can’t get 5.1 output from DVD-A MLP or USB FLAC. These sources only send audio to FL and FR channels. BD, BDA, and DVD-V correctly send audio to all 6 channels.

I have tried adjusting every possible audio setting without any luck. I have audio output via HDMI 2. Hoping someone in QQ Land May be able to help.

This is strange because I haven’t had any problem with my X800.

Are you sure that the X800 is doing the decoding and not your receiver ?

I have a Sony UBP-X800 and it plays DVD-A MLP and USB Flac in 5.1 with no problems. I have HDMI 1 going directly to a Samsung 4K UHDTV, and HDMI 2 going to a Yamaha RX-V471 receiver.
Here are some settings I use in the X800:
System Settings
- HDMI Settings: Control (Off)
- HDMI Audio Output (HDMI 2)
BD/DVD Viewing Settings
- DVD-Audio Playback (DVD-Audio)
Audio Settings
- Digital Audio Output (Auto)
- BD Audio MIX Settings (Off)

The user manual for the X800 says to use a "high speed" HDMI cable.

Good luck!

I use HDMI 1 only, run it to the receiver. The receiver should have 2 HDMI outputs one is ARC use that if you want everything on together (TV, Blu-Ray etc) otherwise use the other output like I do and only turn on the receiver when wanted (not all the time). One time I used HDMI 2 incorrectly and it caused conflicts. Contact Sony assistance and they'll run you through setup config step by step if needed. Just have serial numbers ready.
If I remember correctly the audio only HDMI is used when you have an outdated receiver.

Last edited:
Long shot...are you certain the DVD-A and FLAC sources are 5.1 and not 4.1 or 4.0? Some receivers have difficulty and decode only the front channels from sources without a center channel.

People with Sony x-800:
When you play both Pink Floyd Quad. Blu-ray do you get 4 channel PCM?
When I play these it automatically reverts to 2 channel PCM. The 5 channel PCM is fine.
I even tried on a Yamaha 1060 with the same result.
I finally pulled my Oppo 203 out of retirement and I get 4 channel PCM from both discs.
I tried to play a home brewed 4 channel PCM disc on the Sony and all I got was a big ?
UNKNOWN DISC

People with Sony x-800:
When you play both Pink Floyd Quad. Blu-ray do you get 4 channel PCM?
When I play these it automatically reverts to 2 channel PCM. The 5 channel PCM is fine.
I even tried on a Yamaha 1060 with the same result.
I finally pulled my Oppo 203 out of retirement and I get 4 channel PCM from both discs.
I tried to play a home brewed 4 channel PCM disc on the Sony and all I got was a big ?
UNKNOWN DISC
The X800 can't handle 4 channel FLAC, you need to pad your files with an empty center channel and they'll play properly. @HomerJAU's music helper app is perfect for this.

The X800 can't handle 4 channel FLAC, you need to pad your files with an empty center channel and they'll play properly. @HomerJAU's music helper app is perfect for this.
If the x-800 and my older Yamaha can't handle 4 channel FLAC how many other players end up in the same boat?
Are there alot of people who own the Blu-ray but have never heard the quad. mix ?
I'm glad I bought my Oppo before they went out of production. At the time I purchased only because it was 4K and my Yamaha wasn't.

Back