Two Surround Albums in NPR's "10 Favorite Classical" List for 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
Last edited:
The actual title of the list is "10 Classical Albums to Usher In the Next Decade."

The two surround titles:
https://www.npr.org/2019/12/11/778227044/10-classical-albums-to-usher-in-the-next-decade

I was particularly smitten with the beauty of Andrew Norman's Sustain commissioned and conducted by Gustavo Dudamel and the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra on DGG.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Norman_(composer)

andrew norman sustain you tube

Last edited:
The actual title of the list is "10 Classical Albums to Usher In the Next Decade."
The two surround titles:
The Adams is quite impressive but I have not yet found to time to sit still for the Concurrence program. Looking forward to it.

I'm in for Concurrence. Debating about the way I want to handle the Adams. $35 for the Atmos download at AS. Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up.

I haven't cracked open Concurrence yet, myself--although I really liked the previous volume in the series (Recurrence), so I'm expecting great things.

The Atmos download of the JLA is spendy, no question. I have both versions, and I'm not sure the Atmos is appreciably better (at least not on my 5.1.2 system). Using the Dolby Digital upmixer to play the 5.1 would probably get you close...

Last edited:
I haven't cracked open Concurrence, myself--although I really liked the previous volume in the series (Recurrence), so I'm expecting great things.

The Atmos download of the JLA is spendy, no question. I have both versions, and I'm not sure the Atmos is appreciably better (at least not on my 5.1.2 system). Using the Dolby Digital upmixer to play the 5.1 would probably get you close...

I appreciate the feedback on that question!

Update with surround titles represented in "The 25 Best Classical Music Tracks of 2019" (according to the music critics of the New York Times):

• Bruckner, Symphony No. 9, Adagio. Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra/Manfred Honeck (Reference Recordings)
  • Ives, Symphony No. 4, Comedy (Allegretto). Symphonies No. 3 and 4. San Francisco Symphony/Michael Tilson Thomas (SFS Media)
  • David Sanford, "Black Noise." Black Noise. Boston Modern Orchestra Project/Gil Rose (BMOP/Sound)
  • Anna Thorvaldsdottir, "Metacosmos." Concurrence. Iceland Symphony Orchestra/Daniel Bjarnason (Sono Luminus)
Hope I haven't missed any. Certainly plenty of other works in the list that should have been recorded and mixed for surround...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/12/arts/music/best-classical-music.html

Thanks for the heads up, I was going to ask for some 5.1 Classical suggestions, this seems like a good place to start.
Anyone a member of Cantaloupe Club ? It looks like a good deal, but I am curious if there is a cost of just a per piece charge as they ship. I didn't find any information without having to enroll.

Thanks for the heads up, I was going to ask for some 5.1 Classical suggestions, this seems like a good place to start.
Anyone a member of Cantaloupe Club ? It looks like a good deal, but I am curious if there is a cost of just a per piece charge as they ship. I didn't find any information without having to enroll.

I've bought lots of downloads from Cantaloupe since they moved to Bandcamp, fewer discs. I don't go for everything they release, though, so I've never considered the "Club." (Maybe I should.)

Looks to me like the basic $8/month membership gives you all new releases in download form (plus a whole bunch of stuff from the back catalog--including Become Desert--and subscriber-only extras). Their subscriber page says this:

For $10/month, you get everything above, plus:
• Every new Cantaloupe CD mailed to your door, weeks in advance of the street date.

• Be first in line for limited-edition vinyl packages at special Club rates, and comp tickets to select Cantaloupe shows in your area.

• a 30% discount on any catalog CD release in our store, so you can deepen your home library.

• FREE SHIPPING across the United States! International members occasionally receive 2 mailings in one parcel to save on shipping.

So no--no extra shipping charges (unless you're outside of the US).

Just listened to the samples ...... sort of 'grating' on the ears. Think I'll pass on that one. I do have a ton of Sono Luminus BD~As that are in a word sensational!
I really dug the one track more than the other. I wish I knew which was the more common style .. to the Tube!

Back