5.1 versions of The Underfall Yard and Grand Tour will be released but not until next year

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beistovin

I asked Greg from Big Big Train for an update on 5.1 releases. The fallowing is his response.

“Hi Scott, 5.1 versions of The Underfall Yard and Grand Tour will be released but not until next year now.”

In case anyone other than me was wondering!

GS mentioned this again on Twitter yesterday. He needs a conversation with our Mr. Wilkes on formats...
I was surprised to see that GS seems to be pushing DVD-Audio format. Yes, the real thing. The best choice if you ask me, as I think that a Dolby Digital track is mandatory for the DVD-Video portion of the disc, so everbody should be happy. Of course, no problem with blu-ray here.

As much as id like it, I cant really see anybody releasing a DVD Audio disc considering there are something like only 2 in-production players available to play it. Its a dead format.

As far as I see nearly nobody will be able to play such a disc on a standalone player (besides people who own such a model), so the question ist: is DVD-A playable on PC with software like Power DVD or some free progemmes without problems? If yes, does anybody and can post here information about programmes wich will fit.

As far as I see nearly nobody will be able to play such a disc on a standalone player (besides people who own such a model), so the question ist: is DVD-A playable on PC with software like Power DVD or some free progemmes without problems? If yes, does anybody and can post here information about programmes wich will fit.
Foobar2000, freeware. Will rip to MCh FLAC easily, too.

Thanks for this info, I have this programme. But does it work with every built-in DVD or BD drive and how about copy protected DVD-A?

Last edited:
Thanks for this info, I have this programme. But does it work with every bulit in DVD or BD drive and how about copy protected DVD-A?
I think it does, as it works with mine:) If you mean watermark, then there's a fb2000 plugin to solve this. Yes, this used to be an issue, but I haven't faced it for years now.

Foobar will not rip the lossless MLP layer of a DVD Audio disk. It may rip the lossy DVD video portion.

Besides, I doubt any publisher would release a disk with the intention that the end user needs to rip it to hear it.

Foobar will not rip the lossless MLP layer of a DVD Audio disk. It may rip the lossy DVD video portion.
It will not, yet it does - or at least in this parallel universe:
1576601254202.png
Besides, I doubt any publisher would release a disk with the intention that the end user needs to rip it to hear it.
Well, publishers have done stranger things...

And that is what I've always used... but apparently so does Foobar with the right plugin, as haikubass has shown above.
I should add that it won't rip the DVD-Video portion, that's what MakeMKV (plus Music Media Helper) is/are for. But foobar can play/rip SACD.iso too, if you happen to have any. No go with them SACD discs, though.

Last edited:
Has to be lossless, hate seeing those lossy Dolby mixes.

Am I mad or can you mux 24/48 LPCM on a DVD-V? i.e. without MLP encoding? I'm sure it's possible as the limit is around 9mbps and there doesn't need to be a taxing video stream so that can be no more than say 1.5 mbps.

Back