ABC/Command Quadraphonic - The Best QS Lineup

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But what about the "Mack and Mabel"??? :hi

Also in that very same March 08,75- Billboard , Jon...........they list as top 100 releases both Three Dog Night-Joy To The World, Greatest Hits,....and Joe Walsh -So What........Both indicated as being released or available as quad lps and Q8. (In fact it continues that way for a few Billboard editions). :)

Now you're really killin' me, my fav Joe Walsh in a QS releaseus interruptus :censored:
It's a very well recorded album. I use the Atmos upmix on my Yamaha and it sounds great.
Quad. could have been awesome...

Attachments

• MVIMG_20191217_104722.jpg
    MVIMG_20191217_104722.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 363
It's a very well recorded album. I use the Atmos upmix on my Yamaha and it sounds great.
Quad. could have been awesome...
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that's one of the reasons The Eagles wanted Joe Walsh in their band, for not only his playing, but the way his rock records sounded, which they wanted to incorporate into their albums.

That black and white photo has me curious, wish I coulda had the opportunity to see it first hand during its very short appearance.

Anyways, we can play a game.........What colour do you think that quad album border was ? I'm guessing yellow , or off yellow. :)

Any idea why ABC started with the quad logo on the cover and then moved to the color border? If I'm not mistaken, CBS did just the opposite. Most of my older Columbia and Epic releases have that gold border. Slightly newer releases have just the SQ logo.

Also in that very same March 08,75- Billboard , Jon...........they list as top 100 releases both Three Dog Night-Joy To The World, Greatest Hits,....and Joe Walsh -So What........Both indicated as being released or available as quad lps and Q8. (In fact it continues that way for a few Billboard editions). :)
[/QUOTE
Any idea why ABC started with the quad logo on the cover and then moved to the color border? If I'm not mistaken, CBS did just the opposite. Most of my older Columbia and Epic releases have that gold border. Slightly newer releases have just the SQ logo.
And think of all the people who were unsatisfied with the ABC quads because they tried to play them in SQ? I know Sansui charged a royalty to use the QS logo, but were the bigwigs at ABC so cheap that they wouldn't spring for it?

[/QUOTE] I'd like to know that, too. The Three Dog Night album would have been great in quad. One sorta funny story about one of their quad releases... I have the "16 Greatest Hits" album from the Grassroots in quad. A few years back, the group were appearing at a "Party In The Park" at Greynolds Park, in North Miami Beach, Florida. I took the cover for the album with me so I could, at least, try to get them to autograph it. I handed them the cover, but what followed was a discussion among them, to the tune of "what is this shit? We weren't told about this!" Apparently, they never knew about the quad issue of the album. Needless to say, they didn't sign it. I was bummed.

The quad logos were removed (or made a lot smaller) on albums because record stores were putting them in "quadraphonic" bins instead of keeping them with the artists.

The quad logos were removed (or made a lot smaller) on albums because record stores were putting them in "quadraphonic" bins instead of keeping them with the artists.
There are two sides to that story. Some people, like myself, would have been looking specifically for the quad records. Having them all together made it easier for me to find what I was looking for. There were a lot of record shops that were not carrying quad records, and became defensive if you asked them why.

It's a mystery why they did the opposite with their covers, but jaybird's response might be the answer. Makes sense to me anyway.

Back