Pink Floyd - "Animals" 5.1 Surround Sound Mix (Blu-Ray & SACD editions out in September 2022!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really do want this in surround/Quad soon, its like a later day Meddle to me, a Holy Grail of Floyd, I remember getting back to my student house and sticking the LP on the day it was released, and a few of my housemates coming in and listening as well.

:unsure: we've had marbles, scarfs etc. with earlier sets, we won't get an in inflatable pig (or will we?) .................... :eek: maybe some artificial sheep sh*t? :devilish:
:love:

The Snowy White compilation is called Goldtop, and a version of Pigs On The Wing is included, but it is not identical to the 8 Track release of Animals. There is a noticeable edit in the Snowy comp version at 1:22 where the Snowy solo enters. I have never compared the Snowy versions directly to the Floyd versions to see what is different, but there is a difference.

On the reissue/remix, Snowy's contribution is cranked WAY up compared to the original.

You are claiming a truncated version of the 8-track cart version - due to song length, if I am reading correctly? Or it’s the same length but is a Franken-stitch performed?

Or you are not sure of any of this but took a stab at it anyway? Lololol

I believe it to be a "Franken-stitch." I like the term. What I have never bothered to do is go back critically to compare the two. I have both versions, and believe the 8 track version to be straight through without edits, but again I think they warrant a closer comparison than I have done. Anything I claim from memory is at least subject to verification.

What I will say is that at the 1st edit point I referenced above, the backing acoustic guitars change noticeably. I do not believe this is the case on the 8 track. Hope that helps!

I believe it to be a "Franken-stitch." I like the term. What I have never bothered to do is go back critically to compare the two. I have both versions, and believe the 8 track version to be straight through without edits, but again I think they warrant a closer comparison than I have done. Anything I claim from memory is at least subject to verification.

What I will say is that at the 1st edit point I referenced above, the backing acoustic guitars change noticeably. I do not believe this is the case on the 8 track. Hope that helps!
I wasn't trying to be a snark. I don't know myself. I did read in an interview with Snowy that when he asked PF if he could use the song on his own comp they were happy to help out, but gave him the multitrack tape and asked that he have his own mixed used as to not be an exact PF Animals track being given out.

The comp has gone OOP and skyrocketed in price. I've yet to hear it. But I have the 8-track tape and good component player and show do a fresh capture to digital myself. My old one was direct to cassette, I should be able to get a much better one now.

I wasn't trying to be a snark. I don't know myself. I did read in an interview with Snowy that when he asked PF if he could use the song on his own comp they were happy to help out, but gave him the multitrack tape and asked that he have his own mixed used as to not be an exact PF Animals track being given out.

The comp has gone OOP and skyrocketed in price. I've yet to hear it. But I have the 8-track tape and good component player and show do a fresh capture to digital myself. My old one was direct to cassette, I should be able to get a much better one now.
Now that I've been reminded I will have to search through some boxes in the garage to find this.
It had some songs with Peter Green as I recall.

Now that I've been reminded I will have to search through some boxes in the garage to find this.
It had some songs with Peter Green as I recall.
I'm pretty sure I have it ripped from my CD. A good mix but the solo is disturbingly loud. I much prefer the 8-track capture.

Reactions: GOS
I'm pretty sure I have it ripped from my CD. A good mix but the solo is disturbingly loud. I much prefer the 8-track capture.
I only heard the 8 track version once back in 1978.
It was rather shocking to hear the extra lead guitar part because I knew the Animals album so well.

I don't mind the mix of the Snowy version. It sounds great through a Tate II, especially when the solo kicks in and the rears really become alive. I need to try it through my Surround Master.

I only heard the 8 track version once back in 1978.
It was rather shocking to hear the extra lead guitar part because I knew the Animals album so well.

They played that extra bit live during the 1977 tour as a coda to POTW part 2. I remember playing a bootleg for a friend who said the music was familiar because a friend of his had it on 8-track. I was skeptical but ultimately happy to be wrong. That's probably the only 8-track tape I bought new for full price rather than from the cheap bin.

They played that extra bit live during the 1977 tour as a coda to POTW part 2. I remember playing a bootleg for a friend who said the music was familiar because a friend of his had it on 8-track. I was skeptical but ultimately happy to be wrong. That's probably the only 8-track tape I bought new for full price rather than from the cheap bin.
It is rumored that there is some official audio from the May 9 1977 Oakland show. It was recorded by Bill Graham. Not out of the realm of dreams to have some of this come out officially one day....

It is rumored that there is some official audio from the May 9 1977 Oakland show. It was recorded by Bill Graham. Not out of the realm of dreams to have some of this come out officially one day....
The audio in Bill Graham's archive is the same source that everyone has. His archives were sold to Wolfgang's Vault long ago. Not a rumor, just misinformation.

The audio in Bill Graham's archive is the same source that everyone has. His archives were sold to Wolfgang's Vault long ago. Not a rumor, just misinformation.
I doubt that what we have heard is the best quality available. Have any professionals worked with the source tapes to see what can be done with them ?

I doubt that what we have heard is the best quality available. Have any professionals worked with the source tapes to see what can be done with them ?
The people who recorded and shared the show are well known. The source tapes were transferred at a high resolution and shared about 10 years ago on Y! There's only so much that can be done with sound improvement since there are obviously no multi-tracks from this recording, many have tried. I know that Andy Jackson had a copy of this. Perhaps this was one of the recordings that he worked on that Gilmour deemed unworthy of release due to the sound quality being below his standards? Releasing the Oakland show would be a waste to anyone who already has a decent quality copy of it.

Here's the info on the recording and transfer:

MOTB Release: 0053 24/96
Release Date: 2009-01-29
Band: Pink Floyd
Date: 1977-05-09 (Monday)
Venue: Oakland / Alameda Coliseum
Analog Audience Source: FOB Master Cassettes (MAC)
Medium Stock Brands: MAC = 2 x TDK SA90
Analog Lineage: 2 x sony ECM 280 => Sony SD152 >> MAC
Analog Sound Preservation: MAC >> Nakamichi CR-7a >> Korg MR-1000 >> DSF [1-bit 5.6448 MHz Stereo] >> Korg MR-1000 => Korg AudioGate >> WAV [24/96]
Taped By: Reinhart Holhwein
Transfer By: Bob Menke
Mastering By: Derek McCabe

Last edited:
The people who recorded and shared the show are well known. The source tapes were transferred at a high resolution and shared about 10 years ago on Y! There's only so much that can be done with sound improvement since there are obviously no multi-tracks from this recording, many have tried. I know that Andy Jackson had a copy of this. Perhaps this was one of the recordings that he worked on that Gilmour deemed unworthy of release due to the sound quality being below his standards? Releasing the Oakland show would be a waste to anyone who already has a decent quality copy of it.

Here's the info on the recording and transfer:

MOTB Release: 0053 24/96
Release Date: 2009-01-29
Band: Pink Floyd
Date: 1977-05-09 (Monday)
Venue: Oakland / Alameda Coliseum
Analog Audience Source: FOB Master Cassettes (MAC)
Medium Stock Brands: MAC = 2 x TDK SA90
Analog Lineage: 2 x sony ECM 280 => Sony SD152 >> MAC
Analog Sound Preservation: MAC >> Nakamichi CR-7a >> Korg MR-1000 >> DSF [1-bit 5.6448 MHz Stereo] >> Korg MR-1000 => Korg AudioGate >> WAV [24/96]
Taped By: Reinhart Holhwein
Transfer By: Bob Menke
Mastering By: Derek McCabe
This looks like the audience recording. What about the soundboard from that show?

This is from Wolfgang's website. Has it been provedn false?

"The first night, May 9, 1977, is often considered to be one of the greatest performances of the band's career. The band members seemed to enjoy the show just as much as their rapt audience"

"Bill Graham's partial soundboard recording of this legendary performance begins near the end of the first set, approximately eight minutes into the final sequence of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)." The piece is relaxed but focused, with Rick Wright's spooky synth and one of the band's heavier jams highlighting this set-ending performance"

This is from Wolfgang's website. Has it been provedn false?

"The first night, May 9, 1977, is often considered to be one of the greatest performances of the band's career. The band members seemed to enjoy the show just as much as their rapt audience"

"Bill Graham's partial soundboard recording of this legendary performance begins near the end of the first set, approximately eight minutes into the final sequence of "Pigs (Three Different Ones)." The piece is relaxed but focused, with Rick Wright's spooky synth and one of the band's heavier jams highlighting this set-ending performance"

I would say yes, seeing as how this sounds exactly the same as the Reinhart Holhwein audience recording of this date.

Back