OOP Jethro Tull SW 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe that's a blessing in disguise if you're refunded. Sound-wise, you are better off with the 2016 bookset. Several glitches were corrected, new transfers done and more songs included. The only downside is that the surround mix isn't in lossless.
All true, I have both sets but still prefer the 5.1 on the blu-ray in the big box.

All true, I have both sets but still prefer the 5.1 on the blu-ray in the big box.
When Plan9 was speaking about "sound-wise", he was oddly not considering the ultimate (high-res) fidelity of the 5.1 nor the 4.0 mixes, which is what 99.9% of the listeners on this forum are here for. Well, I take that back, he does say "only downside".

I'll take a BluRay surround disc over a V-DVD any day of the year.

When Plan9 was speaking about "sound-wise", he was oddly not considering the ultimate (high-res) fidelity of the 5.1 nor the 4.0 mixes, which is what 99.9% of the listeners on this forum are here for. Well, I take that back, he does say "only downside".

I'll take a BluRay surround disc over a V-DVD any day of the year.
I'm at work and I don't have the disc here, but IIRC both versions included the 4.0 mixes.

NOT in the ultimate (high-res) fidelity of lossless BR disc. Nope! V-DVD is lossy was my point.
Im sorry, I misunderstood your post. I realize the DVDV mixes are lossy. I thought you were inferring that the Quad mixes aren't included at all on the DVDV.

One other point, I think 99.9% of the listeners on this site are here for an excellent surround mix, not exclusively for lossless formats. For me anyway, the fact that the format is lossless or not matters much less than if the mix is good quality and if the original sounds were recorded well. Given the choice of course, lossless is certainly preferable.

One other point, I think 99.9% of the listeners on this site are here for an excellent surround mix, not exclusively for lossless formats. For me anyway, the fact that the format is lossless or not matters much less than if the mix is good quality and if the original sounds were recorded well. Given the choice of course, lossless is certainly preferable.

+1

When there is a choice, I'd say 99.9% (of surround buyers) are going for lossless.

Last time I compared I also slightly prefered the mastered 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray, but as for all things stereo there is no contest, the "unmastered" 2016 version it is (and it's without the glitches of the Blu-Ray as well).

The Quad mix is the same transfer on both Blu-Ray and DVD (mastered by Peter Mew).

I see some OOP JT 40th anniv sets available from “Russian Federation” distributor. Is anyone familiar with them? Thanks.

I'd be surprised if they were actually pressed disks and not burned copies.
Why? We have seen thousands of silver pressed CD and DVD sets with "international" manufacturing plants stated. Are burned copies become more of the norm?

Back