Prince / Sign ‘O’ The Times - Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D 11.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received this today.
Humm ...don't get too excited about the Auro -3D mix folks.
Mostly reverb and echo.....grr

Great show though.
First time I've seen it.
Oh well I now own a Prince release.
Who would have thought.

Really a cryin' shame; but I'm with @elmer on this, never heard this one that sounded worth a shit. Prince's albums are so dynamic that they'd make great surround titles with the proper mix; time to hit the Involve mode on SMv2! @beerking- check out the album 3121 on the Surround Master; just a friendly recommendation. :dance

Really a cryin' shame; but I'm with @elmer on this, never heard this one that sounded worth a shit. Prince's albums are so dynamic that they'd make great surround titles with the proper mix; time to hit the Involve mode on SMv2! @beerking- check out the album 3121 on the Surround Master; just a friendly recommendation. :dance

Yes, really looking forward to it as well. Reviews on Amazon de, are full of high praise, Have I got a different version? Tricky to make a new mix from a live show from way back when. Especially in Atmos.
All recs taken in the right spirit pups.

Now 'The Traveller' is a fine mix!! Also received today.

any other reviews on this?

seems odd that an atmos mix and Prince no less would get so little attention??

Sadly the morons on amazon reviews never mention the word atmos because I don't think they even know what atmos is and worse yet keep calling the blu-ray a "dvd" because they don't even appear to know the difference between that either.

Last edited:
any other reviews on this?

seems odd that an atmos mix and Prince no less would get so little attention??

Sadly the morons on amazon reviews never mention the word atmos because I don't think they even know what atmos is and worse yet keep calling the blu-ray a "dvd" because they don't even appear to know the difference between that either.
Amazon reviews aren‘t usually format specific. They tend to lump them all together. I see mp3 reviews when looking at vinyl all the time.

I have to concur.
The people responsible for marketing this as a Dolby Atmos mix, need to have their ears examined.
It Isn't.
Not even surround.
I think we have been conned by the eagerness to make money on Princes reputation.

Somebody needs to be taken to task over this release.

Maybe its the same peeps currently pushing so called Dolby Atmos, on the unsuspecting masses, via Amazon etc.

I purchased this Blu Ray version from Japan a few years ago with a purported DTS HD MA 5.1 mix. It almost sounds like a mono source matrixed into 5.1 - certainly not discrete and if pressed I would say it sucks! Which is a shame because the live performances are stunning. There are a few “vignettes” which are mainly self indulgent - but it’s Prince. The Prince family trust is notoriously stingy with any legitimate licensing of its content and I would be extremely suspect of any new release that is region coded. But who knows?
View attachment 40177
Yup I have this as well & I agree about the barely there 5.1. However, I take my downmixed 2 ch stereo output from my Oppo & feed it into the SMv2. The transformation is amazing! No rotating guitars all around but the soundfield is truly expansive. I am thrilled every time I enjoy it this way. Picture & performance is top notch. Prime Prince.

The Atmos/Auro isn't enough to get me but the extras are very intriguing. I look forward to others comments when they get it.

I have to concur.
The people responsible for marketing this as a Dolby Atmos mix, need to have their ears examined.
It Isn't.
Not even surround.
I think we have been conned by the eagerness to make money on Princes reputation.

Somebody needs to be taken to task over this release.

Maybe its the same peeps currently pushing so called Dolby Atmos, on the unsuspecting masses, via Amazon etc.
It's sad that "the great unwashed" will accept this half measure as the real thing. Never finding the Valhalla of true Atmos !!!

I've always wanted a quality video disc/discs of his 2007 performances at: The Earth Tour: 21 Nights in London.
I'm just hoping they were recorded on film and with quality sound (which most of his videos sounding poorly to me.)
As great as his studio work is, as to performance, his live music has much better energy, with many songs stretched out for extended jams.
I honestly don't believe we'll ever hear a great sounding multi-channel- Sign ‘O’ The Times.

I'm playing the Blu-ray disc as I type, just to make sure that I ain't letting folks down, with my depressing reactions.
The film itself is very good.
The music is mostly front centered with minimal reverb and echo throughout my Atmos 11.1 set up.
I still wonder if there was an almighty cock up between the mix and the mastering.
It says the Atmos mix is by Nils Wulkopp @ CSC Studios Hamburg.

Well Nils, I wonder if your post bag is full of Prince's fans disappointments, in your mixing skills.
Released by Turbine Media who own the rights in Germany.

I'm playing the Blu-ray disc as I type, just to make sure that I ain't letting folks down, with my depressing reactions.
The film itself is very good.
The music is mostly front centered with minimal reverb and echo throughout my Atmos 11.1 set up.
I still wonder if there was an almighty cock up between the mix and the mastering.
It says the Atmos mix is by Nils Wulkopp @ CSC Studios Hamburg.

Well Nils, I wonder if your post bag is full of Prince's fans disappointments, in your mixing skills.
Released by Turbine Media who own the rights in Germany.

Mike, a similar situation with the BD~V of the Rolling Stones Rock 'n Roll Circus: it was billed as Dolby Atmos and was basically mono as it was shot in the late 60's for BBC TV but at least it was priced under $20 [unless you sprung for the redundant box set] and the video was cleaned up nicely.
245265_front.jpg
Add to collection

Last edited:
Back