Welcome Thread: New Members please introduce yourself here

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am still on the first pass through and keep finding wonderful things to read. I went through the above mentioned Classical Music thread and found mention of a Mendelssohn trio I am interested in getting and it is "merely" about $18 dollars (or euros?).

My audiophilia flared up in about February or so. There is already a pretty nice selection of multichannel things to listen to when it gets fired up. I have bought one and checked out from the local library one , of the saCDs of three channel discrete recordings from the 50s and 60s. I do think it will be a blast.

Also as luck would have it Channel Classics had a great clearance sale which I bought like ten SACD s from. And I met Mark Waldrep and got his book which I highly recommend to anyone who has let themselves get behind. Got a number of discs from him too.

I expect to mainly listen to music. I will have a screen and occasionally watch movies. The Mrs. likes Opera (only Italian , French and Mozart, not Wagner or other cherman) so we will have fun with that. And I already have a bunch of classic rock and roll DVDs and BluRays with multichannel which should be lots of fun too.

I don't need to reproduce artillery or car crashes at full volume for music. It seems like most music listeners seem happy with a 5.1 system. Mine will probably end up being a 7.4
I have a Marantz AV7005 from about 2011 or so which can do Audyssey Front Wide and Front Height and being a long time audio nut I have several pairs of extry spikkers. I have lots of extra power amps and active crossovers too. My current eight JBL woofers probably don't need any additional subs but I am considering adding a sub for the surrounds because the NS1000 don't go real deep.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, I'm grateful for all you who have gotten into this passion before me. I'm more a troller in the forums as the info can be priceless and free. I'm 62 and went through the original quad craze in the early seventies. Never owned any gear, but did hear lots of Santana on someonelse's system. So got the hankering to hear the old vinyl again and that lead to acquiring a QX-949. An eBay purchase that was fortunately in pristine condition on the outside and doing well on the inside. I tracked down a Pioneer PL-55X with AT14S installed. Now that all the good content is snatched up I've gotten a little discouraged about finding vinyl in good enough condition to appreciate it all. Nonetheless I'll keep at it. The whole audio listening activity can be a very deep rabbit hole. I am glad to have found this site to keep doing it all with a little more knowledge.

I'm very much a Quadraphonic junkie from the days when you could walk into a record shop and flick through the available Quad releases. Great days in deed.

Have devoted quite some time, since then, on understanding the various systems used by the different record companies which has left me knowing quite a bit on how they work and don't work.

Although I am SACD, BLU-RAY equiped, I find they are rather boring formats that leave the end user with nothing to do... They just work!

I'm very much a Quadraphonic junkie from the days when you could walk into a record shop and flick through the available Quad releases. Great days in deed.

Have devoted quite some time, since then, on understanding the various systems used by the different record companies which has left me knowing quite a bit on how they work and don't work.

Although I am SACD, BLU-RAY equiped, I find they are rather boring formats that leave the end user with nothing to do... They just work!
Welcome to QQ. So “insert disc and press play” is boring? Actually, I get it. A lot of folks enjoy the rituals inherent in vinyl. I’m sure that there are also people who enjoy trying out different decoders and doing the care and feeding of tape machines. Equally, a lot of hobbyists enjoy the thrill of finding old quad equipment in good working condition(or rehabbing old equipment). It’s about the journey.

I like the old formats with their faults too. I am dirgital equipped but there is a lost feeling in a lot of dirgital. It is also good to have the knowledge of the old ways so that we can understand the newer stuff better and appreciate the work that went into getting us there. I have plenty of vintage quad software and hardware with some duplicated in modern formats. Both have reasons for me to keep them. Welcome to QQ!

Hiya Auroran Welcome aboard the QQ Quad train fo sho :dance

There are a lot of koo friendly Quaddies here big time - so feel free to ask and any questions you might have and they will for sure answer

Hope to see ya posting about what ever ya want tooooooooooooooo . :LB

Hello and welcome @The Auroran nice to have you here. I like being able to just plug and play my music when I can. Providing the sound is up to snuff, it leaves more time to do other things. Such as peruse the forums here.

After running into this place all the time on the googles and making much use of its excellent info I figured I'd join and cast my votes and stuff. Hi, I missed this thread at first! I got into multichannel stuff after my SO got me the Dark Side of the Moon box, and later I found a Dolby Digital capable 5.1 receiver on the side of the road. I happened to have four speakers and a DVD player, and the rest is history. That was in like June of this year? Now I am spending plenty on surround albums and am running a bluray capable 7.1 setup with a ps3 for sacd as well. Can play all modern surround formats but no time for chip based decoder boxes of yore, I live in an apartment! :p Love old quad mixes though.

Awesome ASHR glad ya joined QQ - by accident is a great way to get into the hobby, just like Snooooooooooooooooooood did :LB

Welcome aboard and yes, your wallet will be a lil shorter than usual with this awesome hobby. Well worth it though :rocks

Definitely ask any questions you might have even if you think they are snoooopid, Snood still asks them all the time. :giggle:

After running into this place all the time on the googles and making much use of its excellent info I figured I'd join and cast my votes and stuff. Hi, I missed this thread at first! I got into multichannel stuff after my SO got me the Dark Side of the Moon box, and later I found a Dolby Digital capable 5.1 receiver on the side of the road. I happened to have four speakers and a DVD player, and the rest is history. That was in like June of this year? Now I am spending plenty on surround albums and am running a bluray capable 7.1 setup with a ps3 for sacd as well. Can play all modern surround formats but no time for chip based decoder boxes of yore, I live in an apartment! :p Love old quad mixes though.

Welcome to the money pit. The purple haze is real. Nice to have you here.
weddingcake3flipcrop.jpg

Hi, I'm new to domestic multi-channel having acquired a 5.1 system last October. This was bought principally for films, but what I have discovered is that I love the surround music experience as much if not more. It feels like a whole new enveloping world. I even find myself finally using the 'soundtrack only' option given on some DVDs. Going through the SACDs that I already had in my collection I found good and bad mixes. So now that I'm pointedly buying discs for surround playback I stumbled upon this forum. I'm looking forward to learning much more...

Hi, I'm new to domestic multi-channel having acquired a 5.1 system last October. This was bought principally for films, but what I have discovered is that I love the surround music experience as much if not more. It feels like a whole new enveloping world. I even find myself finally using the 'soundtrack only' option given on some DVDs. Going through the SACDs that I already had in my collection I found good and bad mixes. So now that I'm pointedly buying discs for surround playback I stumbled upon this forum. I'm looking forward to learning much more...
Greetings sixandnine!

Be sure to check out the “Surround Polls“ heading at the top of the page if you haven’t found it already...
The Polls make a great shopping list that can be sorted by the various headings that I find useful. You can sort by the “Votes” column to get a good idea what the all time most popular titles are and how they rank...

Happy hunting and listening!!!

Welcome @sixandnine nice to have you here. People start with surround sound then they put quad in the ceiling and call it Atmos. At 3:11 it is 69 until 4:20

IMG_0074.3.jpg

This thread replaces the old "New Members Only!! (Members who have never posted)" thread, which got to be a little on the LARGE side!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...bers-only-members-who-have-never-posted.2843/
Hi there everybody... just got signed up yesterday cuz I am awaiting delivery on a lower end quad I purchased for 8 dollars..a panny re 7844...figured you guys would have sum insight into what I am jumping into lol..so..thanks for having me here!

Awesome DWG - Wellllllllllllllllcome to QQ. The best way to get some insight is to ask whatever questions that may come to your mind in this section:

Legacy MultiChannel Sound & Systems - then Quadraphonic Hardware :LB

That should get you all the answers you would like and do not be afraid to ask even the noobiest questions like Snood (Me) still does and these peeps still treat me nice. :rocks Yep we all gotta start somewhere and you picked the perfect place for help.

Hope to seeing you posting , asking and replying to many more posts :LB:rocks:LB

I just joined this site to learn more about surround formats, most notably the Tate and Audionics systems.. I hope that Jon isn't leaving just as I am joining :( Looking to contribute and learn some valuable information. I am now believing that the only way to hear audio is in 4 channels... and will carry on the legacy as best as I can!

Back