Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi QQ people, long time lurker, but this is my first post. Bought the SDE of Sgt Peppers for the Blu-ray. Put it in my UBP-X800 and got the Apple logo and then nothing but chugging and spinning and a black screen. Figured bad disc so sent back the first copy and got a second copy. Same issue. Now I am wondering if I should try a 3rd copy. I suppose I could just play the DVD but I really wanted it for the lossless 5.1.

Anyone have any advice, suggestions?

I have dozens of other Blu-rays and no issues. I have the both the White album and Abbey Road and they play fine.
This is not a joke: Out of thousands of discs, maybe 2 or 3 of my discs experienced your problem. The first one was The Who's Quadrophenia, that I sent back 4 times, out of frustration I brought the disc to my local McIntosh dealer and was explaining my problem to rep when the owner of McIntosh overheard me (they where having a McIntosh Day at the store) and he said take light sandpaper and briefly sand the inside hole, not a lot, and Wa La it worked. What happens in my unit is it will make that chugging sound and eventually the unit says UNKNOWN DISC. It has happened few times since, and I just due that protocol and all is fine.
What he explained to me is when they cut the discs sometimes, very rarely, the hole is just a little to tight for that particular unit, it may never happen to some units and others rarely.
My most recent one was one of the many Blu Rays in the Pink Floyd box set, why one and not the others ? Hope that helps.

That sounds like that could be it Mark!
Also how about this; perhaps you could take the latest disc to a friend’s player to test it, that might rule out your player if it didn’t work. If no friend with equipment, maybe try a local library or audio store (Magnolia) they might let you try the disc on a player.

That sounds like that could be it Mark!
Also how about this; perhaps you could take the latest disc to a friend’s player to test it, that might rule out your player if it didn’t work. If no friend with equipment, maybe try a local library or audio store (Magnolia) they might let you try the disc on a player.
Only problem with that, is the other player, the new disc might work which leads to more frustration, light sandpaper inside hole will not hurt anything.

One more thing; try completely shutting off your player (not just off in sleep mode) and then try it. I’ve even had my Oppo 205 get hinky for some discs after playing other stuff. These machines are almost like little computers and occasionally need to be rebooted.
Not almost like computers. Literally computers! (Except you don't get to run them as you please like a PC.)

Things crash. Restarting them first is always the thing to do. :)

Interesting find with the disc hole.
My understanding of these drives. It's not like an album that spins around a spindle. The 'spindle' part pokes through the center hole of the disc to center it in the drive and then clamps it. The whole clamp assembly turns as opposed to the disc spinning around a spindle. I guess the issue in this scenario would be the spindle/clamp bit getting impeded by the too small hole and not able to poke through into position. The "chug chug" sound is probably the servo that lowers the spindle/clamp into the disc trying, stopping, and backing back out.

I'd maybe look to see if there is a small burr or something and sand/file just that if possible. If you went too far and hogged out the hole too far, the disc might not center and the 500rpm rotation (or whatever the exact speed is) would trash on the bearings. Or be wobbly enough to not read because of that. That's how those sticky labels (remember that short lived disaster of an idea?) ruin discs. It isn't possible to center them well enough to be able to spin balanced at 500rpm. They wobble and don't read anymore. And trash on the drive bearings and kill the drive. Not to mention flinging glue out the sides and gumming up everything that way at the same time. Or peeling off ejecting from a slot loading drive!

Not almost like computers. Literally computers! (Except you don't get to run them as you please like a PC.)

Things crash. Restarting them first is always the thing to do. :)

Interesting find with the disc hole.
My understanding of these drives. It's not like an album that spins around a spindle. The 'spindle' part pokes through the center hole of the disc to center it in the drive and then clamps it. The whole clamp assembly turns as opposed to the disc spinning around a spindle. I guess the issue in this scenario would be the spindle/clamp bit getting impeded by the too small hole and not able to poke through into position. The "chug chug" sound is probably the servo that lowers the spindle/clamp into the disc trying, stopping, and backing back out.

I'd maybe look to see if there is a small burr or something and sand/file just that if possible. If you went too far and hogged out the hole too far, the disc might not center and the 500rpm rotation (or whatever the exact speed is) would trash on the bearings. Or be wobbly enough to not read because of that. That's how those sticky labels (remember that short lived disaster of an idea?) ruin discs. It isn't possible to center them well enough to be able to spin balanced at 500rpm. They wobble and don't read anymore. And trash on the drive bearings and kill the drive. Not to mention flinging glue out the sides and gumming up everything that way at the same time. Or peeling off ejecting from a slot loading drive!
+1
I had the same thoughts on sanding, finer grit sandpaper for sure, and a last resort IMO.

One more thing; try completely shutting off your player (not just off in sleep mode) and then try it. I’ve even had my Oppo 205 get hinky for some discs after playing other stuff. These machines are almost like little computers and occasionally need to be rebooted.
Thanks for the advice, I've tried a hard restart with no luck.

This is not a joke: Out of thousands of discs, maybe 2 or 3 of my discs experienced your problem. The first one was The Who's Quadrophenia, that I sent back 4 times, out of frustration I brought the disc to my local McIntosh dealer and was explaining my problem to rep when the owner of McIntosh overheard me (they where having a McIntosh Day at the store) and he said take light sandpaper and briefly sand the inside hole, not a lot, and Wa La it worked. What happens in my unit is it will make that chugging sound and eventually the unit says UNKNOWN DISC. It has happened few times since, and I just due that protocol and all is fine.
What he explained to me is when they cut the discs sometimes, very rarely, the hole is just a little to tight for that particular unit, it may never happen to some units and others rarely.
My most recent one was one of the many Blu Rays in the Pink Floyd box set, why one and not the others ? Hope that helps.
I will try the hole sand tonight after work and report back. It can't hurt and I can still return if it doesn't work. I played the DVD last night and it sounded okay (all the Tull stuff is just on DVD and they sound fine to me) but I bought it for the Blu-ray specifically.

Well the hole sanding didn't work. I guess I am going to return and try one more time. I feel kinda bad about it but I've never had this happen before. I figure it's worth one more try.

Yeah Rickkk go for a 3rd - where did you buy you box set from? Shouldn't feel bad, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Snood has sent back many of the same item from Amazon until they get me one that is in new condition for whatever reason - 3 or 4 times on a couple items.

Remember there being a prob with some of the Lennon boxsets blurays and even the recent Abbey Road bluray not working for a few......not sure if me read anything about Sgt Pep.....might be somewhere in the forums though.

Send it back :SB not sure where you getting it from, but if the 3rd no worky - then maybe try one more time from Amazon - perhaps the batch they have from where you got it are defective.........:unsure:

I am happy to report that the third time is the charm. Box set number 3 (all from Amazon) arrived today and this time the Blu-ray works perfectly. On a related note I swear I can hear the difference between the Blu-ray and the DVD. Now it could be the power of suggestion but either way I am happy now.

I am happy to report that the third time is the charm. Box set number 3 (all from Amazon) arrived today and this time the Blu-ray works perfectly. On a related note I swear I can hear the difference between the Blu-ray and the DVD. Now it could be the power of suggestion but either way I am happy now.
Well the Blu-Ray is lossless, the DVD isn't... soooooooo

Awwwwwwwwwwwwesome Rick glad ya got a gooooooooooood one:LB and good to know there are some lemons out in the wild tooooo :eek:

Great Box set for suuuuuuuuuuure - now onward to White Album :rocks

DD 5.1 sounds like they forgot a process or just left something out. It may be the worst sounding DD 5.1 I have. I was very sad. The 2ch on the disc is great! It is what I was hoping the 5.1 would be.

Have you boosted the rear channels by 3dB? That makes quite a difference, but doesn't sound right for the extra two tracks.

Back